Sign in to follow this  
disolusiond

Cloning drives

So I've got my samsaug 1Tb mSata ssd in a control board and working perfectly. What I want to do is clone my 1Tb hard drive to the mSata, then use the mSata as the drive that the hdd was previously being used for, thus taking advantage of the extra speed. It's mostly games on steam. There is some other stuff, but mostly games.

Any tips on how I go about doing this. Never done it before.

If it's not a boot drive, I'd just copy stuff to it and not worry about cloning. Then, give it the same drive letter your old HDD had.

If it's not a boot drive, I'd just copy stuff to it and not worry about cloning. Then, give it the same drive letter your old HDD had.

I did do that originally, but it put everything in a folder called 'data'. I thought that may be a problem. Will that be a problem, or is it cool?

That's... weird. I can't find anything (in 5 seconds of searching) on why that'd happen.

I don't know why it wouldn't just be treated like any other attached drive, where the actual interface is irrelevant to you within Windows/OS of choice as far as file copying goes.

if \data is transparent to the OS, then it shouldn't be an issue.

If it's adding \data in front of everything, then yeah, different paths will sort of change things. But only as far as telling Steam you have a new location for stuff.

Yeah, I'm in the process of trying to sort it out now. I'm copy pasting everything out of the data folder just onto the drive. Then I'll delete the data folder and see how it goes. If it doesn't work I can always just switch the drive letters again and work on it from a different angle. If all else fails, my month starts again in a day and I can just redownload everything.

Thanks for the help btw.

Edited by disolusiond

Yep, that did it. Opened the folder, copied everything, pasted it directly onto the drive, deleted the data folder and restarted. thanks again, Nich...