Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

I don't think you need to spend a good chunk of half a billlion dollars for a big office and a thousand staff, to look at research being done and activities being done and hand out more funding to support them.

Yes. we could use the 444 million to do something useful like clean up the trash dumped in the reef.

4 hours ago, Nich... said:

I don't think you need to spend a good chunk of half a billlion dollars for a big office and a thousand staff, to look at research being done and activities being done and hand out more funding to support them.

I know right ?!

There are various bodies all in existence right now, who would welcome some dollars, but seeing as how there was not even a hint of a tender  ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-14/great-barrier-reef-foundation-snorkelling-trip/10117660

" Within weeks of learning it would receive a grant worth nearly half a billion dollars, the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) Foundation treated mining and banking executives to a weekend of snorkelling and sunset drinks. "

" Key points:

• Some of Australia's biggest companies pay $20,000 to the join the Great Barrier Reef Foundation's "Chairman's Panel"
  • About 75 per cent of that money goes towards saving the reef, rest goes to working holiday trip to Hamilton Island
  • Federal Labor says donations should go towards saving the reef and not "making donors happy"

" The "Chairman's Panel Weekend" at a luxury resort on Hamilton Island was billed as a way for executives to hear directly from scientists and experts working to save the reef.

But the trip also included accommodation and meals at the expensive Qualia Resort, trips to yacht clubs and guided snorkelling tours."

" Attendance was only available to the affiliates who paid the $20,000 foundation membership fee, including BHP, JP Morgan, Rio Tinto, Shell, AGL, Commonwealth Bank, Deutsche Bank, Boral Limited and many other companies. "
" The foundation set 25 per cent of that fee aside to fund the Hamilton Island trip, rather than ensuring all of it was spent on projects to improve the reef "

"A GBR Foundation spokeswoman said not all executives went on the trip and that they had no say in what projects the foundation funds.

"Costs associated with this are fully paid for via their membership fees and no taxpayer dollars, grants or other donations received by the GBRF are used."

" The GBR Foundation has charitable status, which means the majority of the membership fee is tax-deductible. "

I mean really ?! These 'powerful' people cannot learn or be persuaded to think more objectively about the environment their business will affect unless they get a mostly taxpayer funded exclusive holiday ... talk about fucking precious 😕
and one of the biggest cons put out by our Government yet .

Edited by eveln
'

i'm not sure whether I love or am frustrated by the fact nobody here has seen fit to mention Annings ( a person unknown by me till he was said to have made an outrageous speech, of which I've yet to read or listen to )

54 minutes ago, eveln said:

...nobody here has seen fit to mention Annings...

TBH, my outrage circuit is kinda fried atm.  I know I'm ropeable, but having trouble feeling it.  And I don't often do that kind of news here anyway - surprised Jerusalem hasn't, though.

2 hours ago, eveln said:

i'm not sure whether I love or am frustrated by the fact nobody here has seen fit to mention Annings ( a person unknown by me till he was said to have made an outrageous speech, of which I've yet to read or listen to )

If Pauline Hanson condemns your speeches ... yeah! I think he did speech on purpose - like "how to I mention Nazis in here without saying it"

Edited by Jeruselem

" TBH, my outrage circuit is kinda fried atm.  I know I'm ropeable, but having trouble feeling it.  "

< dons tinfoil hat > and I think the above is the evil plan of our pollies ...to keep chucking unadulterated totally unreal decisions on us ... one after the other so that we've become stupefied by the sheer audacity of them our elected pollies

2 hours ago, eveln said:

" TBH, my outrage circuit is kinda fried atm.  I know I'm ropeable, but having trouble feeling it.  "

< dons tinfoil hat > and I think the above is the evil plan of our pollies ...to keep chucking unadulterated totally unreal decisions on us ... one after the other so that we've become stupefied by the sheer audacity of them our elected pollies

I don't give our pollies that much credit. 😜  I think it's overloading on Trump's daily outrages.  And if I, who really doesn't follow politics too closely (let alone American politics), can OD on it, you really have to feel sorry for the poor fucks living there.

OK, no, *half* of them.  The other half can listen to that bloated maggot reverse his position 3 times in one sentence and yet still somehow think "He tells it like it is!".  FFS - that shit makes me almost as crazy as he himself does.

23 minutes ago, Cybes said:

I don't give our pollies that much credit. 😜  I think it's overloading on Trump's daily outrages.  And if I, who really doesn't follow politics too closely (let alone American politics), can OD on it, you really have to feel sorry for the poor fucks living there.

OK, no, *half* of them.  The other half can listen to that bloated maggot reverse his position 3 times in one sentence and yet still somehow think "He tells it like it is!".  FFS - that shit makes me almost as crazy as he himself does.

... meanwhile back at the ranch ( Aussi land ) our pm is chucking away millions of our dollars to show some big wigs a good time 
I mean learn them about our natural wonders ! Our pollies are getting away with faarrr too much

33 minutes ago, eveln said:

Our pollies are getting away with faarrr too much

No question. But ours are kiddies playing with marbles in comparison.

Marbles that cost every human in the country thousands of dollars, but still...