scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

Tone's says Nauru is very pleasant ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-29/tony-abbott-describes-conditions-on-nauru-as-pleasant/10442694

" Former prime minister Tony Abbott says Nauru is being unfairly portrayed as a "hell-hole" when it is in fact a "very pleasant" place.

Mr Abbott was responding to growing calls to remove asylum seeker children from the Pacific island.

"Nauru is no hell-hole by any means. I've been there," Mr Abbott told radio station 2GB.

"If you like living in the tropics, it's a very, very pleasant island."

Medical groups including the Australian Medical Association and Medicin Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) have called for the immediate removal of children from the island.

MSF says their situation is "beyond desperate" and that the island's mental health facilities are unable to cope.

MSF doctors said in some circumstances children were semi-comatose, incontinent and unable to speak.

However, Mr Abbott said the medical facilities on Nauru were better than those available in some country towns in Australia. ..."

12 minutes ago, eveln said:

However, Mr Abbott said the medical facilities on Nauru were better than those available in some country towns in Australia. ..."

Well given some country towns do not even have medical facilities, especially mental health/Psychiatric facilities he is not strictly lying, just being his usual sleezebag self.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aliali said:

Well given some country towns do not even have medical facilities, especially mental health/Psychiatric facilities he is not strictly lying, just being his usual sleezebag self.

it was about the only sentence in there that didn't make me smirk.  And the go is for the refugees to help fill out the country towns while the facilities are sub-standard still. As per usual it's all good in theory but no one in local /federal government seems to want to spend
our tax dollars on much more than their own salaries . It is a pity the comment came from Tones, as I doubt most will give it the credit it is due .

Edited by eveln

1 hour ago, aliali said:

That's because governments spent the big money on places where there's lots of people ... voters, so regional areas get fuck all funding for anything because there's not enough votes to bother buying.

Jeruselem pastes links with massive clicktracking tokens on the end, and apparently didn't know... yeah right

• Haha 1

?

It's been a long time since we reminded people about Tinyurl, saves those long links.

Cheers

12 minutes ago, chrisg said:

It's been a long time since we reminded people about Tinyurl, saves those long links.

I don't like url shorteners - they obfuscate the target, so you have to trust the poster (more than normal) that they aren't sending you to goatse or worse.

I'd much prefer that people just learned a little basic editing skill: trim your quotes and urls to include only the relevant bits.  Of course, that relies on people having some modicum of courtesy, so that's obviously a fucking pipe dream. ?

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

5 minutes ago, Cybes said:

I don't like url shorteners - they obfuscate the target, so you have to trust the poster (more than normal) that they aren't sending you to goatse or worse.

I'd much prefer that people just learned a little basic editing skill: trim your quotes and urls to include only the relevant bits.  Of course, that relies on people having some modicum of courtesy, so that's obviously a fucking pipe dream. ?

?

As much as anything the web site design tools and linking protocols lead to very long URLs but I do agree Cybes, then again if someone were to post a spurious link here they'd get banned pdq I would think ?

Cheers

4 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

26 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

I don't like URL shorteners because they hide what the real-ish URL is.

Hi I'm a URL shortener, you can be one too if you believe in yourself.  Isn't that so much nicer?  Isn't it so much easier to see what the link is too, now that it's only half as long?

• Like 1

I don't think a tinyurl type link would remove the tracking stuff though.
The other thing is people put links without considering you need to be registered with the target site fairly often.

• Like 1

I thought the idea was Turnbull was gonna stay outa politics . lol. But Morrison be a bit of a ninny if he thought Turnbull was just gonna be the 'bigger person' (while in Bali )  and keep his thought to his self. I mean fancy thinking it a good thing to send the just ousted PM to do your
job for you. Scummo you need to get a grip on your balls and do the job you thought you could do.

Edited by eveln

Turnbull was sent deliberately because of his prior relationship with Widodo, which noone else seems to have.

Yes I know it was a deliberate request. Which makes Scummo even more naive than me ffs.  Scummo should have gone over there his self as the new PM and given the courtesy of introducing his self to Widodo.  Not sent a man who has been ousted by his own team !

Regardless of prior relations, that just smacks of pollie-foriegn-relations disaster ! It's virtually saying who cares about Widodo's standing with our present Gov. ? We'll just send this has been to appease him  ... ffs.

From some perspectives it was not the best move but culturally it was quite appropriate, Indonesians take a while to really trust an outsider and Turnbull does have very good relations in Indonesia, across most of Asia in fact, where similar suspicions about foreign governments can prevail.

Cheers

NSW leading the way turning Australia into a Chinese-style surveillance state. Facial recognition tech wanted to stop crime apparently, or it is to spy on everyone?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/surveillance-state-nsw-intensifies-citizen-tracking-20181019-p50atw.html?fbclid=IwAR2_3lsGFJnGJiAT3CvPOt79rNsccDOtPAp-W3n2bLVpi1SJbq4bbdlQcG0

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Facial recognition tech

That 'news' is only a year old.  Thum SMH journos are really on the ball, eh?

It must have slipped into the queue just behind the 2 year old offensive fish 'n chipo story.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-05/berejiklian-overhauls-stamp-duty-in-nsw/10465066?section=politics

NSW government announces changes to stamp duty ... and on average you will save ... $500 per year. Um, 500 per year is nothing compared to freaking mortgage payments. Seriously, the GST was meant to help get rid of taxes like stamp duty and we still have it. I'm sure that 500 saved will be gone already when interest rates rise. Oh yes, there's a NSW election in next 6 months isn't there???

Edited by Jeruselem

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-07/my-health-record-changes-to-strengthen-penalties-for-data-misuse/10471174

Greg Hunt to close privacy "loopholes" with My Health Record access, including former partners of kids getting access to their details (domestic violence related issues). Err, why didn't they think of that kind of problem when they made it opt-out.

Mark Latham is now part of One Nation, leading them in NSW and will be contesting an Upper House seat @ the next state election.

Good on him.  Stick it up them!

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

Mark Latham is now part of One Nation, leading them in NSW and will be contesting an Upper House seat @ the next state election.

Good on him.  Stick it up them!

Heard that on the radio this morning, made me chuckle and nearly ( but not ) fuck up my gear change ?