scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

Julia Banks gets into Parliament under the Liberal banner then walks out to become an independent. Not that I care too much about the Libs issues just now, but it is a bit rude of her to be having any say within the Gov. under false pretences, per say. Unlike Ms Phelps,
Julia did not run as an independent. I think if she is that unhappy with the Libs then she should either sit down with the Libs and compromise, or resign. Then she could legitimately run in her own right at the next local elections ...

The Australian had a huge pic in today's paper of Banks, Phelps and Chisolm (Ithink it was ) having a good old chinwag, not even paying attention to the proceedings. Maybe they will star the Womenses Party ...

Edited by eveln

Normally I'd just say 'her electorate voted for her and not the party, and that's how the system works or we wouldn't even bother with preselections'.  But the party did SFA to help her win her seat in the first place.

She still ran for the seat under the banner of the Liberals with whatever 'promises' the party offered, along side her standing in the electorate. People in her electorate voted for her cos she was the Liberal in their electorate.
She didn't run as an independent. why not ? May be cos she didn't think she'd get the numbers on her own ? << And that right there tells me that she's just another power hungry person looking for fame and funds to by property.

Edited by eveln

So what, she should support every single Liberal party platform because she ran as a Liberal?  She should be anti-women and anti-environment and pro-indefinite detention?

And now she's left the Liberal Party, she must go against every single one of those policy platforms the party is plagued with, because she's no longer a Liberal?

I think this is a pretty different scenario to when Bernardi left, straight after an election, to form his own party.

Banks could sit on the crossbench and refuse to support Govt motions while still a Liberal member - and it's her right as a Liberal member - but would probably then get kicked out.  Are you saying that she'd then have to back everything the Govt wants to do, no matter how bad, just because she was voted in as a Liberal member and has to stay one?

I read today in The Australian that Banks openly admits to starting her campaign as a total unknown and used every pic of her and Malcy together to show her electorate she was squarely in the Liberal Party and worthy of being their elected  member . Now she claims
that cos Malcy was dumped she's not obliged to hang around either; and if that's the case she should  resign her position as the member for her electorate, and leave the building. Her electorate voted in a Liberal candidate .

Thing is once her present usefulness is done with she will likely fall to the curb anyway ... betrayers don't do longevity really well

6 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Eve, Adani is Go apparently! Financed by Adani as everyone has decided it's black hole ... literally

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/adani-announces-coal-mine-construction-will-begin-20181129-p50j69.html

Yeah was just reading about that ... almost as bad is WA opening the door to fracking in a goodly part of their State ... wimps that they are being. I'm thinking Aussie pollies need to pass some sort of IQ test before they be allowed to be pollies and make decisions /
laws that will affect this country big time ... I mean we've even still got the odd pollie spruicking (sp?) for nuclear power when some Euro countries are themselves readying to try and be rid of it in favour of renewables ..go figure that one

Edited by eveln
the thing about being the younger country, is that you look and learn from the mistakes of the older country ( in this instance)

3 hours ago, eveln said:

I read today in The Australian that Banks openly admits to starting her campaign as a total unknown and used every pic of her and Malcy together to show her electorate she was squarely in the Liberal Party and worthy of being their elected  member .

To be fair to her, she ran with a specific leader of the party and the party decided that they wanted a new leader.  Do you think most people vote moreso for the party or the potential new PM?

7 hours ago, Nich... said:
10 hours ago, eveln said:

I read today in The Australian that Banks openly admits to starting her campaign as a total unknown and used every pic of her and Malcy together to show her electorate she was squarely in the Liberal Party and worthy of being their elected  member .

To be fair to her, she ran with a specific leader of the party and the party decided that they wanted a new leader.  Do you think most people vote moreso for the party or the potential new PM? 

To be fair to the people in her electorate ( being the sole reason she even got in the door of the building ) she was a Liberal candidate. She ran spouting Liberal opinions to the people in her electorate, and they bought her ...
seeing she has become ' faulty ' in the eyes of those she sold herself too, surely the goods ( Banks << gotta love that name right ? ) must be returned to the shelf or garbage ( if not fixable ) or lawyers office .

To be fair to her now : she is a lawyer by trade, so apparently has a brain just not a good understanding of loyalty, and only understands /accepts reasoning when it suits her proffered outcome. Banks won't last long, she's already allowed herself to be manipulated
by people in and out of the building, to become an Independent ( loner with no one, not even her electorate to back her up ) . Her new ' mates ' will not keep her back safe ... and ya gotta always be having a lookout for that

As to your question, not that it matters here, I think maybe a bit of both.

13 hours ago, Nich... said:

Do you think most people vote moreso for the party or the potential new PM?

I think people need to get their heads out of their arses and realise they're voting for the Party - not a leader, not a leader of the Party, but the Party itself.  If you like the guy but hate the Party, DON'T VOTE FOR THEM!  If you hate the guy but love the Party...well, at least don't vote for the Trumpiest alternative. ?

Some people will always vote Conservative all their lives even if these same twats enslaved them until death.

?

It  took SEVEN decades but my mother FINALLY votes Greens not Liberal.

One step at a time ?

Cheers

3 minutes ago, chrisg said:

?

It  took SEVEN decades but my mother FINALLY votes Greens not Liberal.

One step at a time ?

Cheers

My parents vote the same way ... they won't change.

1 minute ago, Jeruselem said:

My parents vote the same way ... they won't change.

?

A concerted family effort J ?

Cheers

6 minutes ago, chrisg said:

?

A concerted family effort J ?

Cheers

All their children vote Labour or Greens ... LOL

people are grossly ignorant of out preferential system, and "protest" vote whilst allowing their second preference to the person they are "protesting" about

this denies them the ~ $3 per vote that a first preference pays anyone garnering > 4% of the vote, but they still get the vote if the first preference isn't one of the 2 biggest primary counts

what people need to recognise if you DON'T want a particular candidate or party, they need to get the LAST preference on the ballot

i have been fantasising about standing as an independent in warringah, if only so that my slogan can be "remember to number every box - but put Tony LAST"... as long as he loses, i win, whether i'm the successful candidate or not

it only costs $1000 to nominate, refundable if i can pull >4% primary vote, at which point i win another >$10,000 for getting > 4% (you dip out if you aren't that popular)

if i wasn't this much less vigorous after my medical issues, i'd be way keen to get in there

• Like 1

Yeah, it took me a while when I first emigrated to grok preferential voting - can't say I like it much I'm prejudiced toward first-past-the post from the English system.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Cybes said:

I think people need to get their heads out of their arses and realise they're voting for the Party - not a leader, not a leader of the Party, but the Party itself.  If you like the guy but hate the Party, DON'T VOTE FOR THEM!  If you hate the guy but love the Party...well, at least don't vote for the Trumpiest alternative. ?

In the Senate you could maybe say that, if you're voting on party lines.  But elsewhere?  I think it's more accurate to say you're voting on your local member.

5 hours ago, Cybes said:

If you like the guy but hate the Party, DON'T VOTE FOR THEM!

And you see, this is what I think Banks is counting on. That the people voted her in cos they loved her most particularly .(  Which imo, is why we have such crap pollies these days. They think they be some sort of gods ) ... but it's all a fantasy in her head as she
freely admits using Malcy and the Liberal banner to get through the door . She's a fraud imo.

What's the liberal banner?  Should Turnbull be out campaigning to make sure Abbott keeps his seat?

5 minutes ago, Nich... said:

What's the liberal banner?  Should Turnbull be out campaigning to make sure Abbott keeps his seat?

Well I assume it's the word "Liberal" plastered across posters portraying pics or verbage applicable to the Liberal Party ... you know Like the pics of her and Malcy spruiked on her  campaign trail.

Malcy resigned. Why should he be out campaigning anything ? I mean it's sort of a free country, if he wants to get out and 'shout' for someone then he can I s'pose ... I won't stop him

1 minute ago, Nich... said:

It's not like the liberal party is a particularly cohesive party, of late. 

So.?

But he's still a party member.  If he didn't support what Abbott says and want to help him win, why would he stay in the same party?