scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

2 hours ago, Nich... said:

In the Senate you could maybe say that, if you're voting on party lines.  But elsewhere?  I think it's more accurate to say you're voting on your local member.

Maybe I'm a little extremist about this, but no, I don't think so.  State or Federal, same applies.  Llocal government has SFA to do with anything: if you find a good one amongst that pack of thieves, hang on to them regardless of their alleged affiliation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nich... said:

But he's still a party member.  If he didn't support what Abbott says and want to help him win, why would he stay in the same party?

Nice try . lol . There are a lot of Party members who don't actively spruik. ( my spell check hates that word )

Has nothing what soever to do with Julia Banks becoming an Independent off the backs of voters who voted her in as the liberal candidate. She apparently sent some emails to people telling them of her decision. She did not ask them if they would still vote for her .

So if she did resign and wait to recontest the seat, or another, independently, should her seat go to a by election, or just be handed to some other liberal candidate they want to install?

I guess it means a by election. And yes what an absolutely shocking waste of money and time she has caused. One might say she should be charged to pay a fine ...

... but you know there seems to be so much money around when some peeps need it , just not when the average Joe / Joan needs it

But why a by election?  I mean her electorate voted for the party.

14 hours ago, Nich... said:

So if she did resign and wait to recontest the seat, or another, independently, should her seat go to a by election, or just be handed to some other liberal candidate they want to install?

But why a by election?  I mean her electorate voted for the party.

Alrighty. ... on further thought ;)

Banks should resign. imo, she's in the building fraudulently, and even less worthy of having a say than the other actually elected persons there.  As for the electorate who were unfortunate enough to vote for her, I guess they could gather and put forward another local
Liberal to speak for them, if that can be done without a by election then ... I'm not sure the electorate should have to put up with some dude the Party decides for them ... I mean that's the whole point of the local election ... local input << which is totally why Banks behaviour
is just so wrong. It just confirms her total lack of respect for anyone or thing other than her own standing ... Like I said earlier, she won't last long .

just perusing my news feed ... my but Morrison grins like the cat that got the crème with Macron ... I thought he was gonna jump Trump for  minute there too. 

I like the first question Trump asked him ... what happened to Malcolm ...

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/liberal-party-in-turmoil-over-plan-to-save-craig-kelly-through-emergency-powers-20181202-p50jp2.html

If the state executive does intervene, it will spark claims of hypocrisy given Mr Kelly was one of the MPs who pushed hardest for recent reforms to give grassroots party members more say in how candidates are selected.
Advertisement

"Craig has held us hostage and if we do this, we are basically giving in to terrorism," one NSW figure said on Sunday."

So Scummo has now taken a leaf out of Shortie's book. The libs need two thirds of the vote to get rid of a Lib PM 😉 ... that's pretty swift going for Scummo ... he must have had that little 'fix' on simmer since  the day he got the vote .
Doesn't really surprise me that he did this - makes me grin though. He's a cunning little bod under the cheesy toothy grin he offers up

Betcha Malcolm wishes he'd gone that route. TBH I'm sorta surprised Malcy didn't have it organised ... I guess he figured he was too cool and too wealthy to be so openly kicked out by his peers ... more fool him.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-03/liberal-party-passes-leadership-spill-rules/10579172

" Liberal Party MPs have held an unscheduled meeting to pass changes that would make it harder to get rid of a sitting leader.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison introduced a new threshold to trigger a Liberal leadership change, requiring two-thirds of the partyroom vote to trigger a spill motion.

The Liberal Party previously had no set method and no party room constitution dictating this."

Edited by eveln

Fucking Kelly getting the party room to back him against the new party changes to encourage grassroots voting for preselection as soon as it turned against him.  I mean the govt is desperate to keep supply and etc, but this is a dick move, and I wait with bated breath on how they decide to explain backing Kelly, but leaving female members out in the cold.

42 minutes ago, Nich... said:

how they decide to explain backing Kelly, but leaving female members out in the cold.

I doubt they will. ... but if you do a quickie google then the answer is pretty straight forward. At least with Sudmalis, the easiest links to find on her go back to May this year with Malcy giving her the credit of a win of 1% over her rival to keep Shorty from the 'door'

Also on a very minor scale there was a journo asked to leave cos her arms were bare. Apparently long sleeves or jackets for the ladies and suit jackets for the men is the requirement in the building. Now there's a few snaps of Julie Bishop ( one rather official looking one too )
where she's the only one ( male or femme) to not wear long sleeves. Granted, the photo is taken on the steps, so I guess that technicality makes it okay ... still it's an official shot, not a casual gathering.  There's another shot taken very very recently where Julie is inside the building
giving someone a hug. I guess if you be trim taut and a dragon you get away with shit ;)
Frankly, I hope the dress rules are maintained, cos a jacket hides the fleshier gluttoness side of us all. And let's face it pollies be hard enough to concentrate on without having to also try to ignore the repercussions of them indulging in the fruits of "our " labours .

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

Fucking Kelly getting the party room to back him against the new party changes to encourage grassroots voting for preselection as soon as it turned against him.  I mean the govt is desperate to keep supply and etc, but this is a dick move, and I wait with bated breath on how they decide to explain backing Kelly, but leaving female members out in the cold.

He did threaten to go independent, so blackmail worked due to the near zero government majority.

• Sad 1

the government are idiots (that's a given)

labor are apparently just as stupid in some regards

1168.jpg

• Sad 1

So who ya gonna blame when the shit hits the fan  ?  The Decryptifiers ? << like that word and really wanted to use it :)

Questions : Is Macly smart enough to fool this universe and play the media and the average Joe ? ... with all his comments and suggestions, when it seems his continued chat has the effect now of actually making some of the more moderate members stand with and behind the Party
... Is Malcy smart enough to have played that not so long game for the outcome of bringing the Libs and Coalition back into some sort of order after August , in order to give them a fighting chance of stopping Shorty form being PM ?

Edited by eveln

29 minutes ago, eveln said:

Questions : Is Macly smart enough to fool this universe and play the media and the average Joe ? ... with all his comments and suggestions, when it seems his continued chat has the effect now of actually making some of the more moderate members stand with and behind the Party
... Is Malcy smart enough to have played that not so long game for the outcome of bringing the Libs and Coalition back into some sort of order after August , in order to give them a fighting chance of stopping Shorty form being PM ?

short answer... no

longer version....  no & no

5 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

the government are idiots (that's a given) [FDotM]

<sigh>

No, I know, I should be angry, but I'm not - I'm just depressed.  In the next 20 years, these will all come to pass: a lot of people will become homeless as the sea eats their  properties; a lot of high-tech firms are going to run out of material - starting with Helium (MRIs), followed shortly thereafter by one of the actually rare 'rare earth's; the next GFC will hit (10-12 years according to the modelling I saw yesterday) - and this one is looking to be a Great Depression rival...  There's more, but that's quite enough to be going on with.

So they're going to break the internet.  I'll miss it.  But they are going to miss it worse, because the financial repercussions will be astronomical.  Fucking let them, I say.  Another few trillion dollars is not going to matter much on that scale.

(^Much of that impending doom can still be avoided - or at least mitigated.  But it is going to require economic outlay not seen since the construction of the Pyramids (which is not going to happen), AND global cooperation (which is not going to happen).  So... Move inland, and learn how to hunt or farm.)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cybes said:

<sigh>

So they're going to break the internet.  I'll miss it.  But they are going to miss it worse, because the financial repercussions will be astronomical.  Fucking let them, I say.  Another few trillion dollars is not going to matter much on that scale.

yah, i am more depressed than anything else.

...that criminally negligent/ignorant politicians can stand before the public, and with straight faces, make the argument that encrypted communication must be undermined because it allows crime to prosper — and this sounds persuasive and reasonable to legions of docile dribbling fucking fools.  you know what else allows crime to prosper?  locks on our doors!  we need to rethink those.  they should be done away with, or at least it should be mandated by law that skeleton keys are created for all locks for safe keeping with your friendly local authority.  and the whole search warrants thing?  pfft!  those are an outdated civil rights luxury that only serve to slow the good guys down in this bold new age of terror.  i mean, just think of how much crime could be prevented if the powers that be had carte blanche to enter any domicile at will.   really, if youre not in favour of this idea, then youre in favour of terrorism.

i understand labor pushed back with some amendments or some such, but i am not sure i want to know just how pathetically... 

• Like 2

Do that @th and you risk, almost guarantee, Government terrorism.

I don't much like locks, never have, they only keep the honest people out, but I prefer a polite officer at my door asking if it is ok to come in, or showing me a warrant.

What I don't want is some jackbooted government paid thug kicking my door down on a whim or as the result of duplicitous Chinese whispers.

The only locks I agree with are on jail cells, those for serious matters I would not care if they threw away the keys. THAT would rather quickly create a more honest society, starting with burglars,. The current wrist slaps just send junior crims to post-graduate criminal school aka jail, then let them out early to re-offend.

Cheers