scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Another huge fish kill,

My partner was just watching something about this on the telly, and she said the interview feed just cut out as soon as someone started talking about the cotton growers...

20 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

My partner was just watching something about this on the telly, and she said the interview feed just cut out as soon as someone started talking about the cotton growers...

Cotton growers have been constructing dams to capture the water before it ever gets to the murray river, so they are behaving like vampires.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

the interview feed just cut out as soon as someone started talking about the cotton growers...

Seems pretty out there, but could the ABC be so infiltrated by corrupt LNP stooges already that conveniently 'accidental' censorship is a thing?

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

The joys of privatisation of the health system!

But the Institute for Public Affairs delivered the gospel! The unquestionable wisdom from on high is private good, public bad! 

Yadda yadda cherry pick yadda yadda confirmation bias yadda yadda cognitive dissonance yadda yadda deny evidence. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jan/29/australias-global-corruption-ranking-sparks-urgent-calls-for-federal-integrity-body?CMP=share_btn_tw

Australia's global corruption ranking sparks urgent calls for federal integrity body

The score represents an equal record low for Australia, which has been unable to improve its anti-corruption and integrity efforts enough to reverse a slide that began in 2014.

No real surprises there I suppose.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aliali said:

No real surprises

It wasn't great to notice that although our rating is pretty crap in an absolute sense, relatively it's not so bad. 

We're fucked and so is the world. 

Senator Leyonhjelm thinks he's above the law and doesn't turn to court, and loses the case anyway. Nope, he's not above the law because he's a senator ... he's a waste of oxygen

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/not-going-to-waste-the-court-s-time-senator-fined-over-backyard-pool-20190131-p50us7.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1548906835

• Haha 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-08/chinese-billionaire-huang-xiangmo-wants-political-donations-back/10794726

" A Chinese billionaire who has been prevented from returning to Australia has asked political parties to return the millions of dollars in donations he's made.
Huang Xiangmo quickly rose to become a leading pro-China lobbyist, courting politicians and donating at least $2 million to Australian political parties directly and through his companies.
But a decision from the Home Affairs Department to strip him of permanent residency and reject his citizenship application, made while Mr Huang was offshore, leaves him unable to re-enter the country.
Security agencies have raised concerns about Mr Huang's possible links to the Chinese Communist Party and the motivation behind his generous donations.
A joint ABC-Fairfax investigation in 2017 revealed his bid for an Australian passport had stalled due to those concerns.

In a statement issued today, Mr Huang said he had been treated unfairly by the Australian Government and had not broken any Australian laws.
"It is profoundly disappointing to be treated in such a grotesquely unfair manner," Mr Huang's said.
"The decision of visa cancellation was made based on unfounded speculations that are prejudiced and groundless.
"This is not the Australia that I believe in, the Australia of freedom, democracy, rule-of-law and fairness, but I keep my faith in law and justice."

"If any of the past donations I made was deemed inappropriate by any political party or political figure, I again propose the option for them to duly return the amount donated without the need to pay any interest,"
Mr Huang's statement said."The returned money will be then donated to Australian charitable organisations accordingly."

Well isn't that  ^^ just a bit tricky ?

9 hours ago, eveln said:

Well isn't that  ^^ just a bit tricky ?

That's a pretty fair call - okay, this dude seems dodgy AF, but let's see, you reckon he's bribing you, but you're still gonna keep the money. Dodgy dude has a point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kimmo said:

That's a pretty fair call - okay, this dude seems dodgy AF, but let's see, you reckon he's bribing you, but you're still gonna keep the money. Dodgy dude has a point. 

OTOH, it could also be seen as "I didn't get what I paid for - I want my money back".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Dodgy dude is not bribing me. He's been bribing our over paid and over rated pollies and their various Parties. I think it's gonna be " tricky " in how the pollies deal with it ... who is gonna be the scapegoat/s for this one ...

• Like 1

mr huang is trying to save face, and posture as a good guy

my view is that when you place a bet each way, you don't get a refund if neither team wins for you

perhaps the recipients aren't as dim as they sim ?  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

when you place a bet each way, you don't get a refund if neither team wins for you

Yeah!  Full agreement, here.

As for your last line... No, they're not totally dim - most *are* lawyers, after all, and you don't pass the bar without some sort of ability.  That does not mean they're worth any more than their weight in cordwood, though.  "First, we kill all the lawyers" includes politicians. 😜

• Like 1

He makes it seem like he was accused of being in a mob and fucking his sister over his dead mother's grave.  Not, you know, being a member of the only significant political party in China.

• Like 1

Bribery is perfectly normal in China, has been for last ... few thousand years

4 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Bribery is perfectly normal in China, has been for last ... few thousand years

Hence my interpretation 5 or  6 posts up^.

Edited by Cybes
Dropped a key