scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

2 hours ago, Nich... said:

It explains it, but I found it pretty off-putting the political class commentary included.

The rort is pretty much exploited by people with shares, which is people with loads of money to spare.

3 hours ago, Nich... said:

It explains it, but I found it pretty off-putting the political class commentary included.

Thank you. I'm glad I know all about that now.

8 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

The rort is pretty much exploited by people with shares, which is people with loads of money to spare.

Sure. And everyone who owns some shitty million dollar house in Sydney or Melbourne is rich, and not just heavily leveraged, right?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nich... said:

pretty off-putting the political class commentary

I found it heartwarming to hear from someone else who's noticed the rain is piss.

10 hours ago, Nich... said:

Sure. And everyone who owns some shitty million dollar house in Sydney or Melbourne is rich, and not just heavily leveraged, right?

No, not eyeryone.  The people who bought at a million plus, otoh, are well and truly above average - both for Aus in general, and for the world.  Maybe not for Sydney, but that speaks more about the city than the peoples' finances.

Labor are still a bunch of craven piss-ants desperately in need of a spine to share between them, it seems. 

They could've just let happen a once in a lifetime opportunity, the government losing a substantive vote for the first time since 1929. But nooo, those chickenshit dickweeds blinked in the face of the torrent of hysterical, obvious bullshit from Scummo and his minions. 

It's been great to see Shorten muster the gumption to risk Murdoch's ire by ditching neoliberal policies that made a mockery of his party's name, but it's a damn shame Labor wasn't inspired by Bezos' example to stand firm so the scumbags spraying bullshit are exposed. Bipartisanship on 'border protection', by which pollies mean 'institutionalised brutal cruelty to desperate asylum seekers', and cake-and-eat-it encryption backdoor fantasies, are absolutely egregious failings of the supposed opposition. 

Grow some fucken BALLS, Shorten - the target is still too small. Nail your damn colours to the mast, and show some bloody leadership. Stop trying to have a bet each way by pandering to arseholes and morons, and try to cut through the fucking bullshit. 

/prays for circumstances to force Labor into a coalition with the Greens one day soon

• Haha 1

Hah! 56% of coalition voters trust their mob to implement the banking reforms recommended by the Hayne report. 

Come to think of it, I'm not sure who are bigger idiots; the 56%, or the 44% who vote for a party they know are happy to leave everybody's wrists chained to their ankles for the banks et al. 

Crikey Kimmo you want the infamous back room faceless rat to show some balls / integrity ??... Not going to happen 

🙂

I do believe Paul Keating took his balls and pretty much those of the entire party with him when he left... takes a while to grow new ones I guess 🙂

Cheers

Those pollies all lose their balls when people wave lotsa money in their faces ...

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Those pollies all lose their balls

Not all... blokes like Whitlam and Carter get cut down.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-12/federal-government-loses-a-historic-parliamentary-vote/10804770

The future of the Coalition's hold on power is at risk with the Federal Government becoming the first to lose a vote on its own legislation in 90 years.

The majority of the crossbench and Labor joined forces in the House of Representatives to pass amendments to give doctors a greater say on refugee medical evacuations.

Popcorn time! We live in interesting times.

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

first to lose a vote on its own legislation in 90 years.

Yeah, but

The package also gives ministers 72 hours to make decisions, rather than the original proposal of 24 hours. It also limits the new procedures governing medical transfers to the cohort already on Nauru and Manus Island.

It's mostly sizzle, with only a single slice of sausage. 

This was a pretty laughable read the next day.

Labor has a tight rope to walk to not commit political suicide (again) over border security. By limiting the bill to only those already in detention they can say it won't encourage more boats, in the face of what will now be a concerted smear campaign by the govt. And the govt is partly right on this - if the exception has been made for one cohort, what's to stop a future parliament blinking again, which is a very small and risky window for future entrants to consider.

3 cheers for the speaker living up to their Honourable moniker.

Bonus applause for the house of reps Twitter account officially correcting everyone who said this was the first time in 90 odd years this has happened.

55 minutes ago, Nich... said:

And the govt is partly right on this - if the exception has been made for one cohort, what's to stop a future parliament blinking again, which is a very small and risky window for future entrants to consider.

so, youre saying, to the extent that this bill indicates an increased likelihood that parliament will make even more lax amendments in future, its arguable that it will encourage cohorts of loophole chasing opportunists to come, but then again, probably not?

i am really not across this bill.  every sound bite or piece i read lacks specifics.

based on the alarmism ive heard so far, i take it the general idea is this: if someone in detention is sick, they can put their hand up and be flown to australia, where someone drops them off in the car park of a medical centre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

By limiting the bill to only those already in detention they can say it won't encourage more boats,

Meanwhile in the real world.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2018/12/09/record-number-asylum-seekers-peter-dutton/?fbclid=IwAR0ZZAnk8NEsVvh5LL8yXL12ow_2kuSaUKuONy5cTF98RYc924iTeB9U2os

For all the government’s tough-on-asylum-seekers rhetoric, protection visa applications have blown out to record numbers on Peter Dutton’s watch.

The people smugglers are doing more business than ever. The difference is that their clients are arriving by plane rather than boat and are less likely to be genuine refugees.

• Like 2

🙂

Only if the flights banned are in and out of Canberra including  air-pollie  🙂

Cheers

9 hours ago, @~thehung said:

so, youre saying, to the extent that this bill indicates an increased likelihood that parliament will make even more lax amendments in future, its arguable that it will encourage cohorts of loophole chasing opportunists to come, but then again, probably not?

I'm saying it's a good amendment but it doesn't guarantee people won't come, just because of it, as some soundbites are suggesting.

Something that's confused me by the latest round of political rhetoric by Morrison on our borders: the 'Labor' move to get better medical attention for those left on Manus and Nauru is bad not for any reason other than its a weakening of the status quo. The people smugglers don't understand nuance, like the current law is only for those already there. They only understand relative changes. This is a weakening. QED the boats will once more flood in.

But if that's the case, why is the status quo seen as adequate? Boats are still trying to arrive, or we wouldn't spend so much money on turnbacks. Why has the Govt failed the Australian people by being so soft on this matter? By their own word, if they made things harder on current arrivals, it would discourage more arrival attempts.

15 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Something that's confused me by the latest round of political rhetoric by Morrison on our borders: the 'Labor' move to get better medical attention for those left on Manus and Nauru is bad not for any reason other than its a weakening of the status quo. The people smugglers don't understand nuance, like the current law is only for those already there. They only understand relative changes. This is a weakening. QED the boats will once more flood in.

But if that's the case, why is the status quo seen as adequate? Boats are still trying to arrive, or we wouldn't spend so much money on turnbacks. Why has the Govt failed the Australian people by being so soft on this matter? By their own word, if they made things harder on current arrivals, it would discourage more arrival attempts.

Ya know ? I think Australia needs a wall .Obviously it's the answer to all the issues.

I mean heaven forbid the people don't stay in their own country and fight the evil fucking tyranny that might be there ... if the illegals have the money to pay the smugglers, just imagine what those people could do combining their various savings and working as a united front to make their homelands more amenable....

26 minutes ago, eveln said:

Ya know ? I think Australia needs a wall .Obviously it's the answer to all the issues.

I mean heaven forbid the people don't stay in their own country and fight the evil fucking tyranny that might be there ... if the illegals have the money to pay the smugglers, just imagine what those people could do combining their various savings and working as a united front to make their homelands more amenable....

They could end up dead? If you're in a country with a fairly bad government and that government is being overthrown by another cashed up group who is as bad or worse and is cashed up to get weapons etc then who do you fight? And what sort of weapons are you going to buy and from where when these sorts of groups are buying up everything they can get their hands on. I really find the "stay and fight" answer to be so out of line with reality. 

Also... Not illegals. That's just a term to help politicians and those who vote for them sleep at night. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Also... Not illegals.

... If their  they're paying people smugglers ?

Edited by eveln
oooops

Also, before anyone suggests it, I'm not in favour of just letting everyone into the country either. I have had an idea that I think has some merit (who voices plans they have had that they think are stupid and would never work). I'd offer a sped up process for refugees who agree to go back and help rebuild their countries when we deem it safe enough for them to go back. They help with infrastructure projects here and learn skills helpful to get their nations back on their feet.

You take in people who want their countries to better places and who aren't looking to be part of a war. At the same time you don't take them in forever (although maybe you could have a clause for people who have become strong members of their communities with a record of gainful employment.   

It's only a sketch of an idea because how much influence will I ever have over these things?

• Like 1