scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

But if Hanson or Palmer got a lot of votes, then putting the ALP last or not on the ballot at all might not make a difference, because there wouldn't be enough run-off preference rounds to get that far down the ballot.

I mean literally stupid as in you preference every other independent or minor party in an electorate, but none of them have the numbers, and so eventually it rolls on to the major parties.  You didn't put the major parties on there, so you stop having a say in who gets elected.

18 minutes ago, eveln said:

/ Keeping in mind the Trump win, which every 'sane' person in the universe predicted would never in a million years happen ...

Just imagine the number of Aussies sooooooo fucking fed up with the the Coalition of Lib / Nat. and Labor suddenly casting their votes at Hansen and Clive ... I chose those two names, cos, imo, even the Greens have a bit of an unholy stink to them these days too ... 🙂

Or if people had a better idea of who the independents in their electorate were and what they stood for and people voted for someone who more accurately represented what they wanted... It could work but would probably mean months of deals for every bit of legislation. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nich... said:

As a humanist, in most scenarios I'll probably support an ALP candidate over an LNP one.  But it doesn't make them my preferred candidate by a long shot, because their shit still mostly stinks, just in slightly more palatable ways on some issues.

Can you point to where I said Labor's shit doesn't stink? You can probably find Eveln pretending that's my position easily enough, but I've taken pains on several occasions to make my position clear. 

Why is it necessary to state the obvious? This is the most basic of nuances. Lesser evil, fucken simple. 

Edited by Kimmo

I'm not saying you said that.  I'm stating the obvious, because you and I are not the only two people reading this.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, eveln said:

Cronyism is a problem within any of the Parties which ever side of the wing they be at.

do you even hear yourself?

the nature and scale of the factionalism in question is unique to the coalition.  and thats what that particular piece is about — only the people in the drivers seat of this country for the last 6 years.

by your logic, an opinion piece taking a critical look into Labor's so called "faceless men" and links to union corruption would be inherently invalid and dodgy journalism with a "right-wing agenda".

and if journalism ran by your logic, you would never read a piece about the cover ups of abuse by the catholic church because that would just be a load of biased "anti-catholic propaganda", since abuse is a problem within any of the churches which ever denomination they be.

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, @~thehung said:

and if journalism ran by your logic, you would never read a piece about the cover ups of abuse by the catholic church because that would just be a load of biased "anti-catholic propaganda", since abuse is a problem within any of the churches which ever denomination they be.

do you even hear yourself @~thehung ? I mean seriously dude , get a grip.

Opinion piece isn't journalism it's an essay  written (possible by a journo, possibly not ) who has an opinion about stuff.

True Journalism is relating the facts as unbiasedly as possible.

I'm not a reader of The Guardian, but thanks to Kimmo's proficient use of them in links, the 'paper' does appear to have a definite bent to it's articles

If you peruse the Australian these days I'd say over fifty percent of it's 'news' is delivered via "opinion piece" ... it's why I only read it if it's a freebie and I've no book on hand.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, fliptopia said:
7 hours ago, eveln said:

/ Keeping in mind the Trump win, which every 'sane' person in the universe predicted would never in a million years happen ...

Just imagine the number of Aussies sooooooo fucking fed up with the the Coalition of Lib / Nat. and Labor suddenly casting their votes at Hansen and Clive ... I chose those two names, cos, imo, even the Greens have a bit of an unholy stink to them these days too ... 🙂

Or if people had a better idea of who the independents in their electorate were and what they stood for and people voted for someone who more accurately represented what they wanted... It could work but would probably mean months of deals for every bit of legislation. 

I hadn't got that far ... just picturing election night and the dudes gathering the intel for the tv updates ... trying to get their heads around figures that don't include the big three /four ... cos like over eighty percent of Aussie voters just ignored them

edit: It's a curious thing, but I think of Director a lot these days 😉

Edited by eveln

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, eveln said:

Opinion piece isn't journalism it's an essay  written (possible by a journo, possibly not ) who has an opinion about stuff.

True Journalism is relating the facts as unbiasedly as possible.

I'm not a reader of The Guardian, but thanks to Kimmo's proficient use of them in links, the 'paper' does appear to have a definite bent to it's articles

If you peruse the Australian these days I'd say over fifty percent of it's 'news' is delivered via "opinion piece" ... it's why I only read it if it's a freebie and I've no book on hand.

uh huh.  opinion pieces are a valid form of journalism when clearly demarcated.  and they are more likely to be sympathetic to the left in The Guardian vs the right in The Australian.  both papers do very high quality journalism.

i am sure we both agree with the opinion that the catholic church has failed to do enough to combat abuse — but since there is no scientific quantity for "enough", this is ultimately 'just an opinion'. its also an opinion most likely to be given a lot of oxygen in a left-leaning newspaper.   and it would be person's choice whether or not to actually weigh the merits of that argument, or opt for infantile tribalism, by just ranting about the paper's supposed agenda instead.  

luckily, opinions are most often judged on their merits by thinking people, irrespective of who wrote them and where they were published 😉

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

... and they are more likely to be sympathetic to the left in The Guardian .

that's right.  how I read Kimmo's links of them. and I'm saying that using Pell to enhance a political stance is wrong. and it's my opinion that that is what the Guardian is doing.

Edited by eveln

and a big shout out to scomo for his efforts, as the coalition apparently decreases its share for the 50th news poll in succession

doesn't matter who takes the helm on the titanic it seems, history repeats...

• Like 3

GazzaFromGrongGrong, a reader of the Guardian, absolutely nails it in verse:

(On Linda Reynolds)

“Oh no, I don’t believe that,
no, absolutely not,
I’ve got my talking points down pat,
as laid out by dear Scott,
but…oops…you say it wasn’t Bill
that said it, but then who?
Mathias? Oh…ah…gosh, well, still,
on second thoughts I’ll do
a backflip with a double pike,
a twist, and lots of spin,
and then I think I’ll take a hike
to find the nearest bin
and hide myself down deep inside
and hope no-one can see
that I have clearly testified
to my hypocrisy.”

The all-pervading stink
of Desperation Inc
is causing we electors awful pain,
for nothing can disguise
the smell of all those lies
as Shouty talks up economic gain
while beckoning the boats
to try to win some votes,
and sabotaging climate change debate,
while Abbott does his schtick
to prove he’s just a prick
who told a lie to settle Turnbull’s fate.

The challenge that climate change makes us all face 
is something this hopeless mob cannot embrace,
for ignorant blindness is always their creed,
stupidity anchored in thought, word and deed,
forsaking the future to prop up big coal,
promoting pollution while selling their soul
to corporate vandals who polish their shoes
and couldn’t care less what our children will lose.

He’s known as ScoMo, best of mates,
just like the bloke next door
who lends his tools and charges rates
for any little chore,
and wakes up early every day
before the crack of dawn,
then takes his yappy dog to play
and poop on your front lawn.

He always has the latest goss
and loves to tell you all,
although you couldn’t give a toss
and dread his cheery call,
for all his talk of “enterprise”
is just to shift the blame,
a constant litany of lies
to blacken someone’s name.

Come on, Angus, your emissions
just went shooting off the chart,
gaseous, just more additions
to the Coalition fart
masquerading as campaigning,
simply one gigantic scare
mounted while your hopes keep waning,
born of shattering despair,
but this frantic desperation
simply makes you look a clown,
trying hard to con the nation
as your party’s going down.

This useless mob just telling lies,
this despotism in disguise,
this rabble-rousing government,
this venal mass of discontent,
this rotting canker of the soul,
this fetid cesspool flogging coal,
this failure to communicate,
this moral vacuum peddling hate,
this standard-busting swamp of sleaze,
this parliamentary disease,
this brash corruption of the law,
this far-right putrid running sore
must be removed, as Greg has said,
so decency can reign instead.

That's only from the last nine days...

13 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

and a big shout out to scomo for his efforts, as the coalition apparently decreases its share for the 50th news poll in succession

doesn't matter who takes the helm on the titanic it seems, history repeats...

Is it an inflation thingy that allows him the extra negative polls ?  Or does no one really care this close to elections, cos it's a forgone conclusion that this Gov. is just seat warming ?

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed/australia-refuses-to-sign-on-to-un-international-women-s-day-statement

The Human Rights Law Centre (HRLC) has called out the Morrison government for failing to sign on to a United Nations International Women's Day statement calling for better abortion access for women.

The motion was proposed by Finland and Mexico and broadly called for greater accountability for human rights violations against women and girls.

The statement proposed greater implementation of 'policies and legislation that respect women and girls' right to bodily autonomy'.

I see the Churchy people are still in charge here ...

• Like 2

I say bring on the abortions. the more the merrier . maybe we can abort ourselves into extinction.

How many more jobs were created with with the reduction on weekend and public holiday rates ?

Was talking with an ex teacher the other day ... one of the reasons they are " ex " after decades of teaching is the total lack of security within the teaching field today

45 minutes ago, eveln said:

How many more jobs were created

Here's how to create jobs: instead of running down pay and conditions, stop crippling unions so they can once more fight for a proper share for workers, because obscene profits don't make jobs.

What makes jobs is a populace with a bit of cash to splash. It's pretty fucken simple; I find it amazing that trickle-down bullshit has been able to fly in the face of the obvious for so long.

Well I guess had Kimmo been lurking or indeed on line when the cuts to weekend loading etc. went down he mighta known that I was not a subscriber to the act at all ... but as he wasn't, I get the patronising, some might even say mansplaining of it all ... 😞

2 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Here's how to create jobs: instead of running down pay and conditions, stop crippling unions so they can once more fight for a proper share for workers, because obscene profits don't make jobs.

What makes jobs is a populace with a bit of cash to splash. It's pretty fucken simple; I find it amazing that trickle-down bullshit has been able to fly in the face of the obvious for so long.

Given how terribly most companies are run, there aren't all that many of them making obscene profits

May's deal has been voted down, so it looks like the UK could have a 'no deal Brexit ... I had thought that the whole reason for the long departure from the EU was cos a Brexit could not occur without one .

I had thought that, cos that was what was being spouted, but I personally could not see why a deal for leaving was needed ... sure I can see that UK traders will need to do some networking once the Brexit is complete, that seemed a logical conclusion to me ... but like all the countries that have never been part of the EU life does continue quite well without the EU agreement, or so it seems

Posted (edited)

excuse please ... but post is vanish !

Edited by eveln
vanished to 'nother thread.