scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

On 3/12/2019 at 10:03 AM, Jeruselem said:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-feed/australia-refuses-to-sign-on-to-un-international-women-s-day-statement

The Human Rights Law Centre (HRLC) has called out the Morrison government for failing to sign on to a United Nations International Women's Day statement calling for better abortion access for women.

The motion was proposed by Finland and Mexico and broadly called for greater accountability for human rights violations against women and girls.

The statement proposed greater implementation of 'policies and legislation that respect women and girls' right to bodily autonomy'.

I see the Churchy people are still in charge here ...

From your link, it’s worth noting :

Australia may have opted not to join the statement due to its broad language, which calls for access to abortion without specifying that this should apply where abortion is legal. Australia has previously signed on to a different UN document, the ICPD Program of Action, which is more specific in saying that “in circumstances where abortion is not against the law, such abortion should be safe”.

• Like 1

And now it seems the Brits have lost the backbone of their history.

It appears they voted . It seems they're tooo scared to leave the EU without a deal . Churchill will be turning thunderous in his grave

Posted (edited)

The Murray river is wrecked, so we have the barrier reef to protect, never mind we can wreck that too while we're at it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-14/nsw-marine-park-advisory-independence-questioned/10898322

And the Swan river is also a bit toxic

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-14/elevated-toxic-algae-levels-prompts-swan-river-fishing-warning/10898176

Edited by Jeruselem

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2019 at 10:44 PM, Nich... said:

Given how terribly most companies are run, there aren't all that many of them making obscene profits

Some of the worst-run companies make the most profit...

Looking at you, 'financial services' sector.

I'd say that's the other element of strengthening the economy apart from strengthening unions; balance the playing field by regulating the shit out of the big end of town. 

Edited by Kimmo

21 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

Those profits are often fake accounting hiding mountains of debt

Banks, in debt? But they get to make money out of thin air, by 'lending'.

Not to mention getting away with all sorts of other heaps dodgy ways of making money, and when they're busted it's a token slap on the wrist. Even the RC turned out to be soggy lettuce. 

Don't try to tell me the fucken fat cats aren't bleeding the rest of society dry; the runs have been going up on the board for forty years. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Banks, in debt? But they get to make money out of thin air, by 'lending'.

Not to mention getting away with all sorts of other heaps dodgy ways of making money, and when they're busted it's a token slap on the wrist. Even the RC turned out to be soggy lettuce. 

Don't try to tell me the fucken fat cats aren't bleeding the rest of society dry; the runs have been going up on the board for forty years. 

Look at America, richest country in the world ... yet they have 22 trillion $US foreign debt, and this doesn't include the the debt of USA government to itself. China isn't really any different ...

Edited by Jeruselem

1 hour ago, eveln said:

but finishes it by saying she will still vote for the Greens. ffs

Of course. I wouldn't be surprised if the internal problems described in the article are even worse than the other parties, but as devastating as that is, it's actually a relatively minor issue compared with the inherent corruption of the Liberals, or the compulsive gutless pandering that has crippled Labor's policies for a generation. 

It's a damn shame, but I'm reminded of the harvester demolition video - the green one might be pretty fucked, only having one steer wheel left, but when all the others have none, that makes it the best one. 

Labor has been showing a little bit of promise of late, but I'm going to need some serious convincing it's much more than window dressing. 

My abc news feed tells me the pollies in Tasmania (or rather, one of them ) is calling for hospital workers to think of the patient care ahead of their own needs. Seems to me if you don't look after your workers, they won't be able to look after you as you might need to be looked after.

Yet again, the blind arrogance of the politician is disgraceful to say the least.

I am reminded of the saying... " a poor workman always blames his tools." In this instance, the workman here is the pollie and he is guilty of not looking after his tools. Not perhaps very nice to call the hospital workers "tools", but to my mind, it is the way this Ferguson chap is treating the hospital staff. Surely, just as it makes sense not to upset your cook, so it makes sense to treat properly those you fully expect  to aid you in your time of ill health.

Crikey! The metaphors! 🙂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, eveln said:

calling for hospital workers to think of the patient care ahead of their own needs.

Yet again, the blind arrogance of the politician is disgraceful to say the least.

It's enough to boil your damn blood. 

Here's a thought - imagine it was illegal for there to be a higher standard of care available than Medicare. The public system would be properly resourced in a fucking heartbeat. 

3 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

It's enough to boil your damn blood. 

Here's a thought - imagine it was illegal for there to be a higher standard of care available than Medicare. The public system would be properly resourced in a fucking heartbeat. 

We're moving down to the way the US health system works, if you have lots of insurance and money - the peasants in the public system aren't a priority compared to you.

36 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

We're moving down to the way the US health system works,

That's what I was saying when fucking Howard was trashing this country. 

10 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

That's what I was saying when fucking Howard was trashing this country. 

Like moving our entire gold reserve to the UK and it's still there (the stuff they haven't "leased out")

The way I see it,  the public health system slowly loses its funding and faces privatisation in various sectors, which the opposition of the time vilifies. However, when their party gets back in power, it is rarely rectified and the public soon forgets. Of course, that isn't the only sector suffering. We're rabbits in boiling water.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

We're moving down to the way the US health system works, if you have lots of insurance and money - the peasants in the public system aren't a priority compared to you.

Well then it's a bloody slow and tedious move if you must ... but really I don't think it's quite accurate. In Aus. we have a long history of under mining our important service providers ie; nurses general doctors, teachers, firies, police,and the list goes on ... It's a fucking idiotic mindset. In contrast, all the public service pencil pushers are handsomely rewarded

1 hour ago, SacrificialNewt said:

The way I see it,  the public health system slowly loses its funding and faces privatisation in various sectors, which the opposition of the time vilifies. However, when their party gets back in power, it is rarely rectified and the public soon forgets. Of course, that isn't the only sector suffering. We're rabbits in boiling water.  

Even going the way of privatisation does not always mean a secure and good living

Edited by eveln

4 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Like moving our entire gold reserve to the UK and it's still there (the stuff they haven't "leased out")

Wasn't aware of that; not sure WTF that's about... 

But I was thinking more like attacking unions, giving public money to private schools, dogwhistling to racists, picking on the ABC, fucking over student unions, following Bush to Iraq, sabotaging the republic referendum, the 'never ever' fucking GST, etc, etc, etc

6 hours ago, Kimmo said:

But I was thinking more like attacking unions, giving public money to private schools, 

The unions needed a good shake up. So much corruption and stepping in for the sake of stepping in. I swear they are losing more jobs for people than saving these days. That's not to say I want unions gone. Not at all. I want them to genuinely work in favour of workers and be more transparent with their money to avoid corruption. 

As for funding private schools, I don't see why they shouldn't. As long as those students are charged the same fees and the schools don't receive any more funding than a public school. The private school kids end up in a public school system that can't currently support them otherwise. The way I see it is that if I got together with other parents and paid a few thousand a year to get better facilities for the public school my kids were in, I wouldn't then want to see my schools funding cut. 

On 14/03/2019 at 10:31 AM, Jeruselem said:

The Murray river is wrecked, so we have the barrier reef to protect, never mind we can wreck that too while we're at it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-14/nsw-marine-park-advisory-independence-questioned/10898322

And the Swan river is also a bit toxic

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-14/elevated-toxic-algae-levels-prompts-swan-river-fishing-warning/10898176

At least we're not this bad, yet:

https://boingboing.net/2019/03/15/corporate-murder.html

'oh so it's toxic that's ok you're pretty fat these days so you can safely ingest more'

On 14/03/2019 at 2:27 PM, Kimmo said:

I'd say that's the other element of strengthening the economy apart from strengthening unions; balance the playing field by regulating the shit out of the big end of town. 

Not disputing that.  I did say 'most'.  I had in mind a whole bunch of SMEs tho', like the majority of hospitality.  So, sure, balance and tradeoffs and swings and merrygorounds, that's why big companies earning big money - what is that now, $20m+? - have some different rules for them.  I don't want to see everyone brought into line with the same laws, and we finally have the big boys playing nice and doing the right thing, and gut everyone smaller.

On 14/03/2019 at 5:45 PM, Jeruselem said:

Look at America, richest country in the world ... yet they have 22 trillion $US foreign debt, and this doesn't include the the debt of USA government to itself. China isn't really any different ...

They kind of have to have a lot of debt, otherwise the greenback can't be used as a reserve currency.

12 hours ago, Nich... said:

They kind of have to have a lot of debt, otherwise the greenback can't be used as a reserve currency.

i wouldve thought they can have a lot of debt because the greenback is a ('the') reserve currency.  educate me.

4 hours ago, Kimmo said:

:D

He’ll never have to pay for a beer for the rest of his life.