scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

" Anning should be thankful that ‘‘egg boy’’ was not an adherent to the type of philosophy he espouses. They don’t just egg people they disagree with. - Chris McGavock, Figtree "  (smh letters today)

yep, being made to feel yolk run down your scalp is not quite as disturbing as feeling your intestines run down your legs through a gaping gunshot wound

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @~thehung said:
21 hours ago, eveln said:

" Tim Dean, a philosopher at the University of Sydney, said we should be cautious about condoning any form of political violence, no matter how minor.

He said celebrating the teenager's actions, which he described as "a very mild form of violence", sent a message that it was "appropriate to express a political opinion through attacking someone"."

never heard of him.  anyone else around here heard of this guy? 

I don't know him. Does that change the value of what he said ? I mean I didn't appreciate the " very mild form of violence " comment, but other than that the sentiment is imo, quite sound.

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:
7 hours ago, eveln said:

To respond to the thrust, isn't it when the words are inciting violence ? 

So what's being inferred now, is that to talk about immigration is to incite violence ? Hmmm ...

I'm not sure why you are making excuses for the boy's behaviour. Why would anyone want to enable essentially cowardly actions ? How was the victim to know it was only an egg? How was the victim to know the boy only meant to cause him discomfort and humiliation... 

I'm trying to discuss the actions of the boy and those who watched him do it irrespective of the reason... I am not speaking to defend Anning or his politics. He is a n Independent MP with no real backing and he likely thinks that any publicity is good ...lol...Just ignore him.

I'm way more concerned about our approving of the cowards we are producing.

1. If you say the real reason for the violent act is that these people are there in the first place then you could sound like you are condoning it the violence. Like it's some natural progression. 

2. I originally got into the egg discussion because I am questioning if you can really call that violence because you described it as such. It doesn't seem like eggboy (who will now be known as that for life) was trying to injure Anning. 

3. I was originally just responding to your post on people wanting to ban other people from speaking. Which didn't seem to be about egging... Maybe the message was scrambled? 

Not backing down from that pun. 

What if it wasn't an egg ? what if he came up behind the with a bottle ? It's the action  more than the ingredient used

Oh yeah, the ban thing came about because of the call to oust Anning from Parliament ... if they do that then imo, they need to oust Julie Banks too . Not because I don't like what she says ( I've no idea what she says ) I just think her entry into Parliament is actually more devious than Anning's  but there ya go ... she'll probably get to stay cos quota or some such .

15 minutes ago, eveln said:

I don't know him. Does that change the value of what he said ? I mean I didn't appreciate the " very mild form of violence " comment, but other than that the sentiment is imo, quite sound.

What if it wasn't an egg ? what if he came up behind the with a bottle ? It's the action  more than the ingredient used

Oh yeah, the ban thing came about because of the call to oust Anning from Parliament ... if they do that then imo, they need to oust Julie Banks too . Not because I don't like what she says ( I've no idea what she says ) I just think her entry into Parliament is actually more devious than Anning's  but there ya go ... she'll probably get to stay cos quota or some such .

Tim Dean used to write and then edit Atomic MPC mag. So it was an appropriate person to quote on this forum 🙂

If it was a bottle it would have been *completely* different in my point of view. If it had been a bottle he should have (and probably would have been) arrested. That would have been an actual violent attack. I'm not even sure how you could really equate the two except by the angle at which it happened but then you could start coming up with all sorts of spurious what ifs. 

I don't think it's the method of entry into parliament that people want him gone. If he'd been some middle of the road polly, few people would know or care who he was. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, eveln said:

I don't know him. Does that change the value of what he said ?

i was being facetious.  because Tim Dean was actually my favourite long term contributor to Atomic magazine :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Tim Dean used to write and then edit Atomic MPC mag. So it was an appropriate person to quote on this forum 🙂

LOl but that ^^ gave me a chuckle 😄

If it was a bottle it would have been *completely* different in my point of view. If it had been a bottle he should have (and probably would have been) arrested. That would have been an actual violent attack. I'm not even sure how you could really equate the two except by the angle at which it happened but then you could start coming up with all sorts of spurious what ifs. 

I'm not trying to come up with all sorts of "what ifs" fliptopia , but as you yourself just agreed the response would've been different if the kid had chosen a bottle. The boy landed a contact on the back of another's head, not only cowardly, but it could well have been dangerous too ... I'm thinking here of the boy. Just imagine if Anning had used a much more agressive response and injured the boy.

I don't think it's the method of entry into parliament that people want him gone. If he'd been some middle of the road polly, few people would know or care who he was. 

Of course it's not  his entry so much, it's his politics that people, including Katter, don't even like.

11 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

i was being facetious.  because Tim Dean was actually my favourite long term contributor to Atomic magazine 🙂

And I wasn't, cos I really had no clue at all as to who he is ... hence my lack of humour in return ... fliptopia cleared that up for me . Just one of those quirky things 😉

Edited by eveln

19 hours ago, eveln said:

it's his politics

It's the dangerous hate speech

Indonesia reacted in much the same way as we just reacted to Erdogan. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, eveln said:

I'm not trying to come up with all sorts of "what ifs" fliptopia , but as you yourself just agreed the response would've been different if the kid had chosen a bottle. The boy landed a contact on the back of another's head, not only cowardly, but it could well have been dangerous too ... I'm thinking here of the boy. Just imagine if Anning had used a much more agressive response and injured the boy.

No doubt he put himself in possible harms way by coming up behind a guy like that. But as far as "if the kid had chosen a bottle", well he didn't. *Maybe* he randomly picked up an egg instead of a bottle but maybe he had the sense to pick some thing that is more prank than damaging. It wan't the best idea as far as his own safety goes. I'll absolutely agree with you on that. Doing that in a room filled with the people like the ones that jumped on him was definitely risky. 

Edited by fliptopia
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fliptopia said:
23 hours ago, eveln said:

No doubt he put himself in possible harms way by coming up behind a guy like that.

What do you mean, " a guy like that " ?

I'm a female, not very tall, but fully capable of turning round and slapping the boys face too ... and I would have ... bloody hell what would be your response to have someone approach you from behind and land a smack down on the back of your head ? Talk about invading personal space with a cowardly assault !!

But as far as "if the kid had chosen a bottle", well he didn't. *Maybe* he randomly picked up an egg instead of a bottle but maybe he had the sense to pick some thing that is more prank than damaging.

So it's always gonna be about the fact it was only an egg * sigh * ... which must mean that actually you're  'all good ' with his cowardly act.

I very much doubt the boy has much sense at all ... but then that's me assuming just like you are 🙂

It wan't the best idea as far as his own safety goes. I'll absolutely agree with you on that. Doing that in a room filled with the people like the ones that jumped on him was definitely risky. 

Edited 4 hours ago by fliptopia

They behaved like security people probably would ... confine the aggressor first ... they probably did not realise what the boy had hit Anning with till later.

/ I'm not happy that I sound like I'm defending Anning here 😞

1 hour ago, eveln said:

What do you mean, " a guy like that " ?

I'm a female, not very tall, but fully capable of turning round and slapping the boys face too ... and I would have ... bloody hell what would be your response to have someone approach you from behind and land a smack down on the back of your head ? Talk about invading personal space with a cowardly assault !!

So it's always gonna be about the fact it was only an egg * sigh * ... which must mean that actually you're  'all good ' with his cowardly act.

I very much doubt the boy has much sense at all ... but then that's me assuming just like you are 🙂

They behaved like security people probably would ... confine the aggressor first ... they probably did not realise what the boy had hit Anning with till later.

/ I'm not happy that I sound like I'm defending Anning here 😞

Haha, sorry I didn't mean "guy like that" to refer to anning but to mean walk up behind someone to egg them. "someone in that manner" would be a clearer substitute of words I think. 

I'm not approving or disapproving but just saying I don't see it as a violent act and that saying it might have been something else in hand is pointless because it was what it was and nothing else. 

And sure they acted like security but given that these are people who would just about sympathise with the terrorist in NZ, well let's say I don't want to be "30" to 1 against them. He might be lucky there was a police presence. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

And sure they acted like security but given that these are people who would just about sympathise with the terrorist in NZ, well let's say I don't want to be "30" to 1 against them. He might be lucky there was a police presence.  

Crikey !

Given what you said ^^ , I just had to go have another look at the clip.

Re the underlined [ emphasis mine ] : that's a hell of a comment seeing as how they seemed to respond swiftly to the boy, with the only hit coming from Anning's reaction to being assaulted. Bloody hell it's like we're not even viewing the same footage, and yet I'm pretty sure we are .

This is just going to go on  and on, but I have to say you have sort of put me off for the present ... I'll get over it, but for tonight I need a spell. :|

34 minutes ago, eveln said:

Crikey !

Given what you said ^^ , I just had to go have another look at the clip.

Re the underlined [ emphasis mine ] : that's a hell of a comment seeing as how they seemed to respond swiftly to the boy, with the only hit coming from Anning's reaction to being assaulted. Bloody hell it's like we're not even viewing the same footage, and yet I'm pretty sure we are .

This is just going to go on  and on, but I have to say you have sort of put me off for the present ... I'll get over it, but for tonight I need a spell. 😐

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are reading into my comment there but I'm pretty sure you have got me wrong on this. Maybe I've written it thinking it one way and you're taking it another?

On 18/03/2019 at 9:55 PM, eveln said:

" Tim Dean, a philosopher at the University of Sydney...

... And former OG Atomican God..."

Iirc, Anning jabbed the kid once as a reaction, then went in again (no longer self defence), then the kid was tabled and restrained in a way totally out of proportion with what happened. Given who tackled him, he's lucky they weren't armed or he'd be in hospital.

But let's focus on the fact the kid could have glassed Anning hypothetically and that's the same as egging someone as as violent cowardly acts go.

Personally I wish eggboy took a page from NZ politics and lobbed sex toys at Anning. Which is just glassing from a distance I guess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nich... said:

Iirc, Anning jabbed the kid once as a reaction, then went in again (no longer self defence), then the kid was tabled and restrained in a way totally out of proportion with what happened. Given who tackled him, he's lucky they weren't armed or he'd be in hospital.

Yep. I just re watched it . Anning did try to go for him again , but was stopped by the guys around him.  A couple of guys held the boy down. I don't see how that was " totally out of proportion with what happened." ... I mean if I'd been there in the crowd and some one had gone rogue ( egg or no egg ) I'd be happy they were quickly restrained ... fliptopia made the same inference as you just did, who was it that tackled him ? why were they so wrong to do so ?

I mean ffs even Tim Dean agrees with me  ... lauding cowards is a real fuckwit move , don't you know 😞  sheesh. * shakes head in major befuzzlement * ...

/ no more, my soul is hurt by the denial ... * I leaves this particular topic *

He was tackled by at least one person with outstanding arrest warrants.

That's the level of restraint you'd expect for someone physically capable of trying to get away vs most of them. It's the level of restraint that saw the security industry hauled over the coals when similar zeal ended up accidentally killing people.

That level of restraint night be proportional for Dwayne Johnson, or someone who had tried to shoot or stab or otherwise seriously injure someone. But not someone with an egg.

And if as you said he was restrained to stop Anning hitting him... Why wasn't Anning restrained similarly?

Also at no point did I give a cheer for the kid. I said he was treated unfairly. So uh... What's that accusation coming from?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, eveln said:

Yep. I just re watched it . Anning did try to go for him again , but was stopped by the guys around him.  A couple of guys held the boy down. I don't see how that was " totally out of proportion with what happened." ... I mean if I'd been there in the crowd and some one had gone rogue ( egg or no egg ) I'd be happy they were quickly restrained ... fliptopia made the same inference as you just did, who was it that tackled him ? why were they so wrong to do so ?

I mean ffs even Tim Dean agrees with me  ... lauding cowards is a real fuckwit move , don't you know 😞  sheesh. * shakes head in major befuzzlement * ...

/ no more, my soul is hurt by the denial ... * I leaves this particular topic *

I'm sorry, I really think you are misunderstanding me. I'll try to get this as right as I can but try and see this through fresh understanding and not through the lens of what you think om trying to say (easier said than done, I know). 

I was saying that they *did* act like security but that the boy wasn't to know how they were to react, they weren't exactly uniformed people who you could guarantee would behave in a way that was safe for him. You could hear the journalists tell the guy who had him in a headlock to take his hand off his neck. That guy at least felt that they may be going at him a bit hard but like I said, they are unlikely to be actual trained security people so probably restraining best as they could. In that respect it was a dangerous move for eggboy to make. But at the same time putting your arm around someone's neck can be too. Again, I don't know if that guy was trained to do that safely or not but I'm pretty sure he would be pretty fired up when he did it. I can understand that too though. 

Hitting someone from behind, also dangerous for him because, as you said, anning would not know at first that it was just an egg and he put himself in arms reach. 

The guy holding Anning back appears to be part of the journalistic crew, I didn't look like it was one of his supporters so I can't really credit them with that restraint. 

As far as supporting egg boy? I can say it was a poor move on his part, sure. Disrespectful? Sure. But have if you have ever seen a kid do something that is wrong and you have to tell them off for it but inside you are trying like hell not to laugh then you know how I feel about it. I am not *as* condemning of it as you are of his actions but I think we both just have to live with that. 

I hope that clears up a few things. If not I'll leave it there anyway... unless you particularly want something clarified. 

Also, I truly am sorry if I've made this whole thing uncomfortable for you. I know you're big enough to handle yourself. I just want to you know I'm not trying to be disagreeable or piss you off. 

Edited by fliptopia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

47 minutes ago, Nich... said:

He was tackled by at least one person with outstanding arrest warrants.

That's the level of restraint you'd expect for someone physically capable of trying to get away vs most of them. It's the level of restraint that saw the security industry hauled over the coals when similar zeal ended up accidentally killing people.

That level of restraint night be proportional for Dwayne Johnson, or someone who had tried to shoot or stab or otherwise seriously injure someone. But not someone with an egg.

And if as you said he was restrained to stop Anning hitting him... Why wasn't Anning restrained similarly?

Also at no point did I give a cheer for the kid. I said he was treated unfairly. So uh... What's that accusation coming from?

As the attack occurred, that was just a guy in the audience restraining some one who just committed an aggressive act.

As the attack occurred, who factually knew it was just an egg ?? Given the dreadful times we seem to be living in, who factually knew it was just an egg ?? There could have been any sort of substance in the shell that the boy smashed on Anning's head !

If the guy hadn't had an outstanding arrest warrant would that have been more acceptable ?!  And did you all know that when the whole thing went down ?? What difference that makes to the proceedings is beyond me.

The clip I saw showed Anning being at first restrained and then kept back.

Oh "the accusation", was not directed at you per say, it was an aside comment on how I feel at the justifications of the boy's actions. I thought that was apparant with the use of " / ".

19 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

I'm sorry, I really think you are misunderstanding me. I'll try to get this as right as I can but try and see this through fresh understanding and not through the lens of what you think om trying to say (easier said than done, I know). 

I was saying that they *did* act like security but that the boy wasn't to know how they were to react, they weren't exactly uniformed people who you could guarantee would behave in a way that was safe for him. You could hear the journalists tell the guy who had him in a headlock to take his hand off his neck. That guy at least felt that they may be going at him a bit hard but like I said, they are unlikely to be actual trained security people so probably restraining best as they could. In that respect it was a dangerous move for eggboy to make. But at the same time putting your arm around someone's neck can be too. Again, I don't know if that guy was trained to do that safely or not but I'm pretty sure he would be pretty fired up when he did it. I can understand that too though. 

Hitting someone from behind, also dangerous for him because, as you said, anning would not know at first that it was just an egg and he put himself in arms reach. 

The guy holding Anning back appears to be part of the journalistic crew, I didn't look like it was one of his supporters so I can't really credit them with that restraint. 

As far as supporting egg boy? I can say it was a poor move on his part, sure. Disrespectful? Sure. But have if you have ever seen a kid do something that is wrong and you have to tell them off for it but inside you are trying like hell not to laugh then you know how I feel about it. I am not *as* condemning of it as you are of his actions but I think we both just have to live with that. 

I hope that clears up a few things. If not I'll leave it there anyway... unless you particularly want something clarified. 

Also, I truly am sorry if I've made this whole thing uncomfortable for you. I know you're big enough to handle yourself. I just want to you know I'm not trying to be disagreeable or piss you off. 

No need for apologies. And thanks for knowing that I'm not 'crying into my soup' or anything else 😉

Having differing opinions is what this place is all about, or so I always thought. How else are we to remain critical ? 🙂

3 hours ago, eveln said:

There could have been any sort of substance in the shell that the boy smashed on Anning's head !

It probably could've have been anthrax, so it's a shame the biggest guy there didn't jump on his face just in case. 

Why can't anyone see how serious this is? And me without my clutching pearls or fainting couch, now I have the vapours. 

• Haha 1

Christ Kimmo I told you to put the bong down... now look what you've done to yourself !!

6 hours ago, Nich... said:

I saw a bit more of that in this version; it's pretty full-on, as if the kid was a risk of actually causing serious harm, rather than obviously having finished his symbolic gesture. 

What's also obvious is these thugs are being a bit punitive with their oh-so-necessary restraint. Hey thugs, no charges for the kid, and charges for your precious mate Anning. 

But of course this sort of aggrieved over-reaction is totally par for the course from white supremacist broflakes. Help, help, someone standing up for themselves makes me feel oppressed! 

• Like 1

Egg boy rules.

Anning is a cunt.

Why there is so much uproar over this is astonishing....sign of the times I guess.

Nobody created as much drama about Noël Godin...

And he's fkn notorious for such stunts.

• Like 1

Anning is a cunt. Here in Aus. cunts still have the right to speak unmolested. If you need proof of

that just visit Parliament House.

The boy is a coward.