scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

Do you know, there are a lot of ALP pollies bowing out of this election. Even given it's still Scummo at the helm, I reckon Labor has more than an uphill battle to win this year ... I could be wrong of course. But why are so many Labor dudes leaving their posts ?

I think a particular generation of pollies knows their time is up and they are going now.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Cybes said:

and Kimmo

Nah, it doesn't piss me off when folks fail to implement my vision of utopia. What pisses me off is the sort of self-defeating ignorant shit that pretty much the whole neoliberal project is composed of.

If anyone's actually been paying attention, it should be evident that most of what I propose should be totally uncontroversial stuff; the tried and true policies that held sway from the forties till the seventies, that gave rise to the sort of social conditions that folks in my generation grew up initially taking for granted, but saw increasingly snatched away as they reached adulthood. 

Wanna know why gen x is the first to do worse than their parents? Trickle-down bullshit con job. Privatisation. Neoliberal gospel dogma. 

Edited by Kimmo

Good on ja Josh, saying there's a surplus ... in 12 months not now. BACK IN THE BLACK says Josh, with a time delay.

Yeah...I think I'm happy to forgo my 50c a week if only they'd reinstate the reductions in state funding they have made in recent years. Anyone in a high income job willing to forgo their $4 per week?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SacrificialNewt said:

Yeah...I think I'm happy to forgo my 50c a week if only they'd reinstate the reductions in state funding they have made in recent years. Anyone in a high income job willing to forgo their $4 per week?

It would be so much better putting it into community projects or anything that uses the money as a collective really. Who is really going to have their lives changed in any meaningful way by these sorts of concessions. 

I do wonder if these sorts of things actually work to make people happier or if most people see it as pointless. 

• Like 3

You know there's an election when governments start throwing tax cuts around.

Expected to be the first surplus in 10 years.

Labor's most recent surplus was in 1989.

In the end it's really numbers that probably most pollies do not understand let alone Joe Public.

There is nothing wrong with being in deficit so long as the imported cash is needed for national projects that will eventually return a profit to the nation so long as the interest can be afforded.

Various projects that Australia has externally funded in that regard have worked out well, pity about the fucking NBN...

The GDP of this country is huge, a bit of debt is really not an issue, especially in a country that has one of the highest per capita wealth figures on earth.

But people think of the figures in relation to their home budget - it doesn't work that way.

The problems that long term the country has to be allowing for are loss of manufacturing, which immediately increases imports which increases deficit and privatising publicly funded assets that should never have been immorally sold off by pollies who do not understand that such assets are not theirs to sell.

Nonetheless, not a bad budget, it won't win an election though - half the country no longer knows who the PM is after the Canberra musical chairs fiasco.

Cheers

• Like 1

[ Disclaimer: I have no free money to make a literal bet.]

... nevertheless  ;)

I bet the election will be a close call between Scummo and Clive ... cos well who's gonna take the place of all those Labor folk who are jumping ship ??  ... or, does that not matter as long as it's Labor that wins ?

37 minutes ago, eveln said:

... nevertheless  😉

I bet the election will be a close call between Scummo and Clive ... cos well who's gonna take the place of all those Labor folk who are jumping ship ??  ... or, does that not matter as long as it's Labor that wins ?

I'll be horrified if Clive the Charlatan wins even one single seat. 

• Like 1

Labor MAY be having enough sense to be getting rid of the old dead wood and present a fresh deck for the election, to mingle metaphors, but whilst in past times they did manage that trick with a late leader spill to put up an unsullied new face they are leaving it late and no one really seems to be being groomed in the wings.

As for Clive the corpulent, I can't believe the amount of money he is blowing on advertising before the real race is even called but unless Australians prove themselves to be as stupid as Americans and that is unlikely with our compulsory and preferential voting he doesn't have a chance.

Which makes you wonder why he is doing it - presumably he really does think the average Australian is as stupid as the average Trump zealot - damn, I do hope he is wrong...

Cheers

10 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Good on ja Josh, saying there's a surplus ... in 12 months not now. BACK IN THE BLACK says Josh, with a time delay.

The  budget is about the coming FY, not this FY.  So that's... not so weird?

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

Expected to be the first surplus in 10 years.

Labor's most recent surplus was in 1989.

When was the last time Labor were in power, federally, when the economy was booming?  Because it's pure luck that they're hoping for a surplus now, on the back of a rise in resource prices.

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

The GDP of this country is huge, a bit of debt is really not an issue, especially in a country that has one of the highest per capita wealth figures on earth.

But people think of the figures in relation to their home budget - it doesn't work that way.

The problems that long term the country has to be allowing for are loss of manufacturing, which immediately increases imports which increases deficit and privatising publicly funded assets that should never have been immorally sold off by pollies who do not understand that such assets are not theirs to sell.

What does a trade deficit have to do with Federal Govt debt?

On 01/04/2019 at 11:04 AM, Jeruselem said:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/low-to-middle-income-earners-to-get-little-benefit-from-coalition-tax-cuts

LNP tax cuts! Fantastic ... but as usual poor peoples get bugger all from it

Dunno.  A lot of people think they're pretty poor in this country.

Directly a trade deficit has nothing to do with government debt whatsoever, indirectly the effect upon an economy can be stark in terms of job losses overseas which can lead to increased unemployment and an increase in government spending upon social support services having to be funded from a reduced tax base. There can also be an impact upon the exchange rate.

Some of those effects can take a while to appear particularly in a country whose education system is not well placed for both re-training those who lose work and educating coming generations for work in a nation that has traditionally relied upon work based upon production for export and local consumption.

Australia is being caught in a double whammy of its traditional exports, mining and agriculture, which are in effect manufacturing, just of raw goods, being under threat from foreign competition at the same time as increases in automation are reducing the workforce required by those industries.

Cheap imports meanwhile mean that not only the obvious manufacturing industries, motor vehicles being the classic example, disappear but so do a broad swathe of others, clothing, home goods, various consumables, list goes on.

The diverse effects of a trade deficit are only eventually ameliorated by the workforce swinging into other employment, the so-called "Smart Country" would be fabulous but we are hardly there in terms of a significant portion of the workforce being gainfully employed in non-labor intensive tax generating work, smart stuff.

Economies are very subtle. The worth of the country is one thing, where the government of the day gets its ongoing funding from and how much its funds are worth outside its borders, quite another.

Cheers

The GFC didn't impact us as much as feared - there was fairly good economic growth from 2011-2013 and income tax receipts suffered a dip in 2008-09 and 2009-10 but after that well and truly recovered.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Previousproducts/5506.0Main Features22012-13?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=5506.0&issue=2012-13&num=&view=

The fact of the matter is that Labor pissed money against the wall regardless of the economic conditions of the day.

2 hours ago, SacrificialNewt said:
2 hours ago, eveln said:

... nevertheless  😉

I'll be horrified if Clive the Charlatan wins even one single seat. 

I really thought you could have come up with a more scathing descriptor than " Charlatan " . I mean, most of the pollies these days are pretending they've got skills they obviously haven't got 😄

10 hours ago, Rybags said:

he fact of the matter is that Labor pissed money against the wall regardless of the economic conditions of the day.

And the current jokers haven't? All I hear from the LNP side is how fantastic it is to have a budget surplus, the first in 12 years apparently, while conveniently ignoring the fact that for the previous 6 years they have been in government. So does that mean the LNP where useless before now or is it only bad when the ALP has a deficit.

Also how much of this wonderful surplus is because they have deferred spending to the next budget, or cut or delayed other projects just to cook the current books?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Rybags said:

The GFC didn't impact us as much as feared - there was fairly good economic growth from 2011-2013 and income tax receipts suffered a dip in 2008-09 and 2009-10 but after that well and truly recovered.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Previousproducts/5506.0Main Features22012-13?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=5506.0&issue=2012-13&num=&view=

The fact of the matter is that Labor pissed money against the wall regardless of the economic conditions of the day.

Isn't that how insurance works?  Piss money up against the wall and hope you don't have a draught bad enough to go trying to drink it?

Dunno with the GFC, we caught a glancing blow but it's a dynamic world with un-noticed parts parts that seem insignificant later being seen to have greater than expected outcomes.

I'm not sure there is in fact any one measure, tax receipts are difficult to compare when the tax regime is changed, the nett amount is no real reflection of final government income, given the rules for the big  corporate tax payers. The  unemployment rate is often fudged by people simply dropping off the system all together, exports versus imports are very plastic etc etc.

Most of the measurements are very artificial, built around financial years rather than more realistic cycles. In the end the only real  picture is in a rear-view mirror, not the usual one, the truth is often further back than it appears.

Cheers

You wanna know why the coalition has 'sound economic management' credentials? 

Crooks like Rupert fucking Murdoch are pretty happy for you to think that's what that is, and somehow not obvious corruption.

Coalition vandals couldn't give a fuck; everything's just a scam or a rort, and also let's make the poor poorer because reasons, while we divide society and encourage folks to punch down. Sound bullshit management credentials is what they have, and a whole bullshit funneling infrastructure at their service. 

If you imagine those jive turkeys can be trusted with our money, let alone our country, you've been played for a fucken sucker.

Ranty rant is ranty.

Of the main probabilities for makeup of our government I'll take a coalition with clear majority in Lower and a situation where there's not too much horse-trading required in the Senate.

Labor in power just = idealist populist bullshit policies that run us deeper into debt.

Either in power + horse-trading = deals being done that don't serve the greater good, either appeasing some minority group or isolated geographical area.

Either in power with no clear majority in either house = as previous except 10 times worse.

Ranty rant is ranty.

I'm glad you don't think the Liberal policies they run around budgets aren't also populist.

I'm sorta curious to see what Shorten evolves into as the PM.

• Like 1