scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

1 hour ago, Kimmo said:

Tough life for some, innit. 

Must be a moral burden working 35 days a year being paid by the taxpayers to do so

The biggest threat to the potential budget surplus is ... the announced TAX CUTS according the budget office. Yes that "surplus" which will happen later.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/tax-cuts-will-cost-30-billion-a-year-and-may-drive-budget-back-to-deficit-research-finds-20190408-p51c0l.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1554755225

• Like 1

On 05/04/2019 at 11:06 PM, eveln said:

Yeah that put him on the open stage.

Can you honestly name for me a pollie with " many redeeming features " from, well, anywhere ? 🙂

late to the party, but john mack (member for north sydney when i lived there) was an exemplar, and a true independent

moved from council to local to federal politics

and retired purposefully as a protest  just before he would be given a huge pension, because he thought that was unconscionable

john hatton was good too

and oddly enough, john gorton, for this act of honesty in politics :

After the 1969 election, Gorton was unsuccessfully challenged for the Liberal leadership by McMahon and National Development Minister David Fairbairn. With the Liberals falling further behind Labor in the polls in 1971, a challenge was launched in March when Defence Minister Malcolm Fraser resigned. Fraser had strongly supported Gorton for the leadership two years earlier, but now attacked Gorton on the floor of parliament in his resignation speech, saying that Gorton was "not fit to hold the great office of Prime Minister."

Gorton called a Liberal caucus meeting for 10 March 1971 to settle the matter. A motion of confidence in his leadership was tied. Under Liberal caucus rules of the time, a tied vote meant the motion was lost, and hence Gorton could have remained as party leader and Prime Minister without further ado. However, he took it upon himself to resign, saying "Well, that is not a vote of confidence, so the party will have to elect a new leader. A ballot was held and McMahon was elected leader and thus Prime Minister. Australian television marked the end of Gorton's stormy premiership with a newsreel montage accompanied by Sinatra's anthem "My Way".

• Like 1

@scruffy1  I was never too sure about Gorton, but I know I was definitely never fond of Fraser.

Gorton always seemed like an old man, it was right for him to bow out as he did... it must have erked him to see Billy take his place.

revenge is a dish best served cold

i was working at st vincent's at the time billy snedden reportedly died "on the job" in a local motel

On 27 June 1987, just hours after attending John Howard's election campaign launch, Snedden suffered a fatal heart attack at the Travelodge motel in Rushcutters Bay, Sydney, while having sex with an ex-girlfriend of his son Drew, identified only as "Wendy". Melbourne newspaper The Truth headlined its report "Snedden died on the job", while the Sydney Morning Herald reported that Snedden was wearing a condom and that "it was loaded"

• Haha 1

On 08/04/2019 at 11:43 AM, Jeruselem said:

Incoming NSW government, 35 sitting days for a year, same as 2007. 2018 it was 48 ... so what those idiots being paid to do in the other 331 days?

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6006176/reduced-nsw-sitting-days-draws-criticism/

Do you only do work when sitting at your desk at work?

On 08/04/2019 at 11:43 AM, Jeruselem said:

59 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Adani is approved by the Minister for the destruction of the Environment, HURRAY for more coal. Eve can look forward to all that money for her government as well as extra CO2.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-09/adani-gains-commonwealth-groundwater-approval/10984134

It is a step closer. ffs. And that's due to our State Labor Gov. with of course the impetus from the Fed. Counterparts etc.

Won't we have egg on our faces when the whole thing shits itself one way or another, and all the supposed jobs just don't happen.

Adani would be approved with state Labour or the LNP anyway.

Posted (edited)

Turncoat's Snowy 2.0 scheme was budgeted at 2 billion but ... we know this was some fantasy number pulled out of hat for PR purposes (as it is with initial budget estimates by all governments), it's blown out over 5 billion

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-09/snowy-hydro-2.0-cost-and-timeline-blows-out/10983998?section=business

Edited by Jeruselem

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Turncoat's Snowy 2.0 scheme was budgeted at 2 billion but ... it's blown out over 5 billion

The Snowy project was mostly a huge employment program - and it worked: put money in the pockets of broke people who then spend 100% of it, mostly on domestic products.  By extension, ^that one would be the same sort of thing.  If the object is shifting money, then a "cost blowout" (provided it isn't in sourcing overseas supplies) really isn't much of an issue.

That the Snowy project happened to have substantial ongoing benefits of itself was and is cream.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cybes said:

The Snowy project was mostly a huge employment program - and it worked: put money in the pockets of broke people who then spend 100% of it, mostly on domestic products.  By extension, ^that one would be the same sort of thing.  If the object is shifting money, then a "cost blowout" (provided it isn't in sourcing overseas supplies) really isn't much of an issue.

That the Snowy project happened to have substantial ongoing benefits of itself was and is cream.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/snowy-2-0-construction-costs-blow-out-to-more-than-5-billion-56320/

It seems most of it was outsourced to the italians. That 5 billion doesn't including another 2 billion for power and poles

Posted (edited)

May 18th! Election day ...

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

Thursday. What a weird fucking day to call an election.   Guess they had to make sure they could milk public funded ad campaigns for as long as possible, given the libs low campaign coffers, not to mention last minute board placements.

oh well, better late than never

only 5 more weeks of no government, before we get to see how poorly labor can do

personally, i'm keen to see the liberals be amazed at how unpopular they were

and most of all, for my local electorate members - number all the boxes, but put tony last

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

It seems most of it was outsourced to the italians.

So, it's nothing like the Snowy Mountains Scheme - despite the name.  I did not know that before, but somehow I am failing to be surprised.  I've reached the point that if anyone in government announced Sunlight 2.0, I'd expect a packet of darkness. 😜

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

personally, i'm keen to see the liberals be amazed at how unpopular they were

You're assuming they have some sort of self-awareness.

hVzyzSw.jpg

• Like 4

Check out that Peter 'i barely live in my electorate and tried to roll the pm twice, but check out that one legged labour candidate who is using her disability as a reason to not live here, I bet she's lying about it, too' Dutton over there.

Oh that Peter "has lunch with rich Chinese people" person?

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

We just have put up with the One Nation senator who replaced him ...

Hmm, not an improvement

Gotta feeling that's ^^ an accurate call ... less of course Clive streaks in on a flash of yellow carpet 🙂

Posted (edited)

Who petitioned to "Game of Thrones" Malcy? Here they are! Yes, Slo Mo, potato and Abbott are there.

10162224-16x9-940x529.jpg

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 2