scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

From the comments in that previous link - so true:

" The Greens are unelectable because only 15% of the richest and poorest people can afford them."

Pretty much.

I read a statistic that out of the four parties (Lab, Lib, Nat, Commie), the commies have the highest median wage among their voters.

They’re also generally the whitest party.

Posted (edited)

The Senate

LNP 33
ONP 1
Cory and friends 1

ALP 26
Greens 9

Centre Alliance (ex Xenophon) 2
Other 1

Current known/likely = 73

3 in doubt!

Edited by Jeruselem

Sounds like Albanese may get the leader's job without too much of a fight. Tanya at least doesn't seem so keen today. And I hope Bowen's wife won't let him enter the ring 😉

Spoke to a rusted on Labor voter today. His fear is Albo is just a really nice guy like Beazley. He reckons the only one with the ticker for it is Wong but she’s a Senator so cant become PM.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Leonid said:

Anthony Green has called it 12h ago, with an if statement for Bass.

5 seats in play left, 2 already trending Lib, 4 possible and postals yet to be counted.

Majority government is not something you’d bet against at this point.

whilst i have some confidence in anthony green, he isn't an official aec spokesthing, and there's still lots of votes pending

but a lead currently of ~ 2000 with 21,000 to count looks pretty safe i agree

30 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

whilst i have some confidence in anthony green, he isn't an official aec spokesthing, and there's still lots of votes pending

but a lead currently of ~ 2000 with 21,000 to count looks pretty safe i agree

If the Oracle of Ultimo says the Messiah from the Shire has a majority government, who are we plebs to argue?

Might still be 78 to 67. Currently Libs ahead in 3 of 5 seats yet to declare.

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

Spoke to a rusted on Labor voter today. His fear is Albo is just a really nice guy like Beazley. He reckons the only one with the ticker for it is Wong but she’s a Senator so cant become PM.

That rusted on voter probably wants to read up more on Albo.  His nice guy persona is just that.

penny wong would do well on the floor in the house of reps, but given the current "tick of approval" rests with the unrepresentative swill of the upper house, there is little doubt she will want to stay where the real power lies to shape what we actually have to live with as laws

tanya plibersek might be a step too far for wooing the conservatives to the red side

being a woman worked for maggie thatcher, only in as much as her gender was never an issue because she exuded testosterone and had no feminine traits beyond the twin set and pearls

albo doesn't somehow do it for me, but seems to match shouty in non-threatening blokeyness which seems to be what the punters require

bowen seems to like the idea of selling the farm, as befits his description as "labor right" - a quality i think is "labor, wrong", and his style is too condescending to trigger my respect.. maybe he'll loosen up after his recent experience with failure of the party in the recent election, but nah, not my choice

meantime, it's interesting (in the chinese interpretation of that word) to posit what talent the prime muppet elect will appoint to the cabinet

left to suggest who might benefit the country as vice-leaders, i can't name anyone that appears to have obvious assets to endorse them for any portfolio - but then that's also true of the leader too, so at least their mediocrity is something to unite them as a "team" (even though they were all in the change room during the warm up)

that,  and political "success" are about all they have to offer thus far

it will be revealing to see how they explain their progress without labor to be the whipping boy for any fuck ups, because 6 years in they haven't got a lot of resounding big ticket stuff to applaud

13 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

because 6 years in they haven't got a lot of resounding big ticket stuff to applaud

Tax cuts, boats, depopulation of the offshore detention centres, the China, SK & Japanese FTAs, approving the second airport in Sydney, restoration of the ABCC, Snowy Hydro 2.0, No Jab No Pay. There's a few things there.

35 minutes ago, Nich... said:

That rusted on voter probably wants to read up more on Albo.  His nice guy persona is just that.

Does he secretly want to bite into an onion?

50 minutes ago, Leonid said:

Tax cuts, boats, depopulation of the offshore detention centres, the China, SK & Japanese FTAs, approving the second airport in Sydney, restoration of the ABCC, Snowy Hydro 2.0, No Jab No Pay. There's a few things there.

Don't forget a few promises of a surplus.

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

tanya plibersek might be a step too far for wooing the conservatives to the red side

I've seen Tanya do her thing, and hold her space whilst doing it. She has strength a plenty ... but she also has the common sense to way the odds of hopefully producing a family full of health and vigour, or a country ... good on her for knowing when to step back.

She's young and still in the pollie-game, and the longer she waits the more experience she gains, and her offspring get through with schooling.

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

being a woman worked for maggie thatcher, only in as much as her gender was never an issue because she exuded testosterone and had no feminine traits beyond the twin set and pearls 

Haha ... I used to think that she only looked so strong cos her husband didn't.  * shrugs *

Weird how pearls are a definition of femimine ... Talked to this couple ( man and woman ) the other day both were wearing a gold pearl around their neck  ... bloody stunning they were ( the pearls )

IMO, had Albanese been the leader Labor would have, could have won this election. Yes I know the Leader doesn't make all the policies blah blah blah ... but he does have a pretty strong input as to how what when and why of the running of the Party.

Shorten got obedience, because lore. Albanese will get obedience, help, and respect aproper

Penny Wong is an even more surefire way to lose.  She seems to turn any disagreement into a conflict where she's the victim being discriminated against.  We had that bullshit from Gillard enough, no more thanks.

Plibs is out, Albo's in, not sure who else will pull the numbers he can.  I assume he'll get most of Labor Left behind him, and he's angled close enough to pick up at least some of the Right.

Yeah, Albanese is not a freak show. He won't feel the need to impress ( or whatever the fuck that was about ) by eating a raw onion.

4 minutes ago, eveln said:

Yeah, Albanese is not a freak show. He won't feel the need to impress ( or whatever the fuck that was about ) by eating a raw onion.

Or give out Knighthoods to people who don't need them.

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

depopulating the centres (some) is a minor tick

boats ? who knows ?  certainly not the australian public.... but i'm all for them stopping the planes with equal vigor, and certainly denying squatting rights to wealthy foreign investors

tax cuts are not my idea of something to applaud, although i understand that most people who can "afford" rent for their nation resent doing so - tax cuts are the wealthy citizen's equivalent to sit down money, which you so detest in those with no money

free trade agreements - hmmm.... if you say so, but i don't

a second airport n bumfuckistanopolis without a mandatory rail link ? near the water supply for the sydney basin ?   fail !  (or fail x2 if both points are noted)

abcc -  okay, that's a plus

no jab, no pay... vexed issue - if they were really serious they could get community services to remove unvaccinated children from the wealthy anti-vaxxers in byron and the northern beaches, to demonstrate impartial concern for the health of minors, so i'm not entirely convinced of the carrot and stick tradeoff there

snowy 2.0 ?  bullshit 101

so essentially we are in a agreement - there's a few things there

but more of not really a thing

• Like 1

They’re bullshit for a Labor supporter. For example I struggle to find anything useful about Labor in government since Hawke.... promised or delivered,

All this aside, congratulations due to Joe Sixpack (the Aussie public) for not forgetting past history.

Though returning to surplus has been a right exercise in chain dragging but if Shorten had won I doubt it would happen before the late 2020s.

12 minutes ago, Leonid said:

They’re bullshit for a Labor supporter. For example I struggle to find anything useful about Labor in government since Hawke.... promised or delivered,

are you implying i'm a labor supporter ?

hahahaha...   i'm a critic for all the players, with less scorn for some of their well meaning uselessness than the malevolent self interest of the rich people's party

delivering a good bottom line to a scorched planet isn't progress, it's retarded

and no, i don't think it's just about the putative anthropogenic input to global warming... i tend to think rampant expansion is as helpful to our future as my expanding spleen was to my health... oft times i think the self professed "financial managers" need chemo more than i did

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

are you implying i'm a labor supporter ?

I’m implying you’re far happier when team “fuck brown people, let’s feed them to sharks because we look good” is in power, yeah.

Tou may not be a supporter but you prefer their headwind, yeah?

Team "fuck brown people, lets feed them to the sharks because we look good"?  Vs what, team "fuck brown people, lets lock them up to be serially raped when they're not killing themselves and cover it up because we look good"?

i'm far happier when we honour our obligations as signatories of a united nations  charter on refugees, including the amendments

children overboard, not so much

how many have quietly had swimming lessons via our "turn back" or "blatantly ignore distress" team in power

it always confuses me why successful people of jewish heritage are so easily inclined to disdain the fiscal untermensch - seems it's okay to be a white man landing here on a plane seeking a better life, but pigmentation makes potential successful citizens suddenly turn dole bludger if they missed the plane

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Team "fuck brown people, lets feed them to the sharks because we look good"?  Vs what, team "fuck brown people, lets lock them up to be serially raped when they're not killing themselves and cover it up because we look good"?

Same team:

• invented "locking people up to be serially raped when they're not killing themselves"
  • expanded it to "never-ending"
  • implemented "fuck brown people, lets feed them to the sharks because we look good"
17 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

i'm far happier when we honour our obligations as signatories of a united nations  charter on refugees, including the amendments

But what makes you so unhappy about honouring our obligations as signatories of united nations charters against criminal gangs and people smuggling?

17 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

it always confuses me why successful people of jewish heritage are so easily inclined to disdain the fiscal untermensch - seems it's okay to be a white man landing here on a plane seeking a better life, but pigmentation makes potential successful citizens suddenly turn dole bludger if they missed the plane

There's a whole bunch of reasons:

• Jewish people generally aren't stupid. Exceptions exist (Chomski, Pilger, Trotski, etc) but by and large...
  • We don't care what colour you are if you land on a plane. If you land on a plane you haven't paid a criminal gang of people smugglers and have a visa, or hell even a passport, which means we at least know who you are.
  • Jews aren't white. Pigmentation is of no concern to us.
  • A solid 60-70% of boat people are of Muslim background. 90% of the Muslim world is anti-semitic, right down to the Quran. Jews have a well-established sense of self-preservation owing to the last century of genocide and exile against us in particular and a general history of 2000 years of much the same.
Edited by Leonid