scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

🙂

An interchangeable term these days sadly Leo.

Cheers

On 24/05/2019 at 1:08 PM, strifus said:

I do, however, have a wish.  I wish I could sew the lips of Mitch Fifield shut so that he can stop saying those words that I hate so much. "WE have a national network fit for purpose."  End.

Weel, I think you got your wish ... " Australia's new ambassador to the United Nations " << that's his new job apparently

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, eveln said:

Weel, I think you got your wish ... " Australia's new ambassador to the United Nations " << that's his new job apparently

Oh, goody.  That should improve Australia's image.

2 hours ago, Cybes said:

I'm sure the new ambassor's memory has improved since the last time he was actually in a real job ...

3 hours ago, Cybes said:

It’s the UN. We could send Ivan Milat as ambassador and Martin Bryant as deputy, both wearing Nazi patches, and they would still be in the top 30 most humane representatives at the General Assembly.

12 hours ago, Cybes said:

It might. ;) I was more thinking of strifus' mental equilibrium  ... Of course that all depends on who replaces Mitch here  ... gonna go check that

Paul Fletcher is Communications

I'm actually fairly annoyed, thinking about it for a bit now, that diplomatic postings are being offered to sitting senators.  They're sitting senators.  They have a job.  They aren't leaving their job  because they were voted out or have medical or legal or constitutional issues.

I mean, if I lived in NSW, I'd probably have thrown Sinodinos a decently high preference for him cf his party.  But now he'll be going elsewhere and his party will fill his role with someone else?

It used to be "jobs for the boys" but some recent ones being offered by the other side are clear cases of moving a dangerous opponent (even if they aren't in power) somewhere where they'll be forgotten here and not likely to emit dangerous commentary.

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

It used to be "jobs for the boys" but some recent ones being offered by the other side are clear cases of moving a dangerous opponent (even if they aren't in power) somewhere where they'll be forgotten here and not likely to emit dangerous commentary.

So Abbott is off the Vatican as Ambassador?

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

So Abbott is off the Vatican as Ambassador?

Abbott's a Jesuit.  Given that some people reckon the current Pope is also, Tones would probably cream himself about that posting.

I was referring more towards opposition party (ex) members but I guess you could extend it to so-called allies.

I did not know Abbott was a Jesuit, how the HELL did he pass the entrance exam  ? (satirical question, they probably don't have one but they are supposed to be the intelligentsia of the catholic church.)

Cheers

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

I did not know Abbott was a Jesuit, how the HELL did he pass the entrance exam  ? (satirical question, they probably don't have one but they are supposed to be the intelligentsia of the catholic church.)

Cheers

Abbott did attend seminary and was on his way to being a priest.  Mull that over in your head for a bit, an then tell me what's worse: that this is the quality of person deemed acceptable for the priesthood; or that we're ok with putting raving Christies in the Lodge.

ScoMo is not helping in the 'raving  stakes, being an in-tongues Pentecostal.

The MIA environment minister Melissa Price (who disappeared during the election) is now ... Minister for Defence Industry. Whatever that ministry does ... oh yes, selling weapons to dictators.

6 hours ago, Cybes said:

that we're ok with putting raving Christies in the Lodge.

Half or more of this forum would’ve voted for Rudd.

🙂

So I guess the answer is “yes”

• Like 1

Well,

I most certainly did not vote for Rudd.

I was aware that Scomo was a Pentecostal, exactly which branch of that odd sub-faith I have no idea and care less.

I suppose in a way though at least he is honest about his belief, loony as it may be, and not just paying lip service to keep religion off the table as many seem to do.

Cheers

Given the choice of Rudd or Morrison who to vote for  ( can't believe I'm gonna say this ) but it's more about the Party / politics than the leader ... isn't it ?! I mean even Shorten fronts up to church, for special occasions at least.

jeez boriski, even you know we don't vote for a prime minister

half or more of this forum don't live in rudd's electorate

and i was too young to vote for labor when gough was the man; not entirely sure i never voted for them when hawk and keating were the man

ted mack and the local independents got #1 from me back before abbott

zali was above toned abs on the last ballot from me, but not in the top 4 from memory

This election and the previous (close) one has proven beyond doubt which poll is actually important.

The preferred party, and 2-party preferred is an OK metric but won't give you the outcome.

Preferred Prime Minister even though the vast majority of us aren't directly voting for him, has favoured Liberal by a decent margin when it counts, and has been the bellringer for the last 2 elections.  Would be interesting actually to know the historical trend of result vs preferred PM vs preferred party over the last few decades.

2 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

half or more of this forum don't live in rudd's electorate

Half or more in this form don't live in ScoMo's electorate. But you can bet your ass that the identity of the PM mattered in their vote.

2007 election was a cult of personality election. It was all about Rudd. Not too dissimilar from this election, to be honest as well.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

jeez boriski, even you know we don't vote for a prime minister

'course I do.

Regardless of logic, marketing Knows (capital " k " on purpose ) it's mostly about the ' bow on top '.

... and when you get the top job, cos you plot and twist  to get it , cos you know you be the only person on the planet that should have it ( lookin at you Turnbull and Shorten ) and your voice never rings strong and true, cos you know you're just spinning whatever snake oil you consider fit for purpose then you'll be the death of that Party for me. Sure politics is a dirty game, but when these dudes succeed because of it I wonder about the strength and commitment of the people of that Party as a whole.

IMO, it explains why Julia Banks was only gonna fail straight up ... and why Pauline Hansen, and Sarah Hansen-Young and Jacqui Lambie  are still around

I'll get over Shorten and return to the Labor fold most likely, eventually, maybe

Rudd is a funny one. Ultimately not strong enough mentally to deal with it as he should have. Gillard ... well it's just a pity she got in as she did ... it had her days numbered from the get go

5 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/rural-news/2019-05-30/mass-live-pig-burials-millions-culled-china-african-swine-fever/11146642

I wonder if this is affecting our domestic pigs yet? African swine fever is killing a lot of pigs in Asia and it could hit us pretty soon. I mean it's very infectious and has a very high mortality rate.

I know politicians are looked down on by a lot of people, but calling them pigs?