scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nich... said:

I know politicians are looked down on by a lot of people, but calling them pigs?

They pork-barrel a lot ...

Given the state of biosecurity in Australia pretty much every nasty from dodgy imports gets in because it doesn't seem to any priority given to stopping these things coming in.

Edited by Jeruselem

4 hours ago, Nich... said:

I know politicians are looked down on by a lot of people, but calling them pigs?

yeah, pigs are quite intelligent and appear to have feelings

21 minutes ago, Leonid said:

yep

3 articles by the same author in 2 days where she's sticking it to keneally - i wonder what the back story there is ?

• Like 1

She's based in London so I have real doubts she's got the finger on the pulse much.

12 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

yep

3 articles by the same author in 2 days where she's sticking it to keneally - i wonder what the back story there is ?

it's SMH, owned by Ch9 who is run by ... Peter Costello

🙂

Costello is the chairman it's true, whether he ever goes to the office might be moot.

Cheers

Julie Bishop was lookin' a bit swanky in today's The Australian. New hairdo and silver shimmer dress and the beautiful man on her arm all lent itself to her lookin' rather fine. She will be seen now and then on our news sites just to be sure we all know she still around and thriving despite her Liberal colleagues betrayal ... haha

On 5/31/2019 at 6:55 PM, eveln said:

Julie Bishop was lookin' a bit swanky in today's The Australian. New hairdo and silver shimmer dress and the beautiful man on her arm all lent itself to her lookin' rather fine. She will be seen now and then on our news sites just to be sure we all know she still around and thriving despite her Liberal colleagues betrayal ... haha

She's swimming on our tax money, she doesn't care.

People who worry about politicians swimming in our tax money shouldn’t be voting for politicians who want more of our money through jacked up taxes.

How can she be swimming on our tax money?  She retired and although receiving a pension that'd make most others look paltry, would be the same whether she stays at home or jetsets for the rest of her life.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leonid said:

People who worry about politicians swimming in our tax money shouldn’t be voting for politicians who want more of our money through jacked up taxes.

Yeahhh .... nooo ... that's not the same thing ;)

Stupidly hefty pensions happen regardless of what side you bat for . " jacked up taxes " ? ... tell me how the Gov. is gonna stop this country from going all third world :P~

@Jeruselem ...Seems she's got some high-paying speaking jobs to look forward to  as well. Howard still gets to do those too ya know :)

It just seems to me that if you don’t like the way our politicians spend our tax money, you shouldn’t be voting to give them more of it.

I thought that was fairly evident.

Since I’m a huge fan of Nordic Capitalism, I wholeheartedly vote for smaller Nordic-like government, freer economy, lower corporate taxes, less health spending, etc.

🙂

The other good news about tax cuts of this level is that they neuter Labor.

https://www.afr.com/news/economy/federal-budget-2019-top-tax-rate-to-be-30pc-for-most-20190402-1o24xy

The fact is that tradies and other blue collars are now raking in 6 figures and religious Muslims and Catholics aren’t exactly ok with Labor over SSM. Country low-wage workers just gave them a bollocking over their climate change “policy”.

That leaves inner-city types.

With the tax drop to ~30% for those earning in the $45-200k bracket, Labor will be locked into fiscal discipline and forced to accept that harebrained schemes will not fly.

Posted (edited)

Work has implemented new payroll changes for businesses over 19 employees, called STP Single Touch Payroll where the government gets an copy of the employers final payroll records. I mean that's fine ... but the kicker is the employer is no longer required to give a paper or electronic copy of the group certificate to the employee. Yes, you have to use that thing called MYGOV to get access to that. Yes this is compulsary change by government for payroll. I have access to my payroll info via another site so I won't need MYGOV.

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Haha 1

Last time I got a paper GC was nearly 10 years ago.  I don't see a problem, especially since lots of people either lodge online or email the stuff to their accountant.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Last time I got a paper GC was nearly 10 years ago.  I don't see a problem, especially since lots of people either lodge online or email the stuff to their accountant.

I pretty much don't want a MYGOV account unless I need it. I use an accountant I can dodge using MYGOV for now. My tax return is kinda complicated with my rental property.

Edited by Jeruselem

Yeah, MyGov blows hugely but the only way to dodge it is become a non-citizen.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Yeah, MyGov blows hugely but the only way to dodge it is become a non-citizen.

I can see the merit of employers reporting payroll to government as an audit system in case they are doing some sort payroll dodgies, but forcing citizens to use MYGOV for something the employer always did  is something else. STP doesn't apply or businesses with under 19 employees, I can see why ... the payroll people would have a tonne more work to do to comply with this change.

Edited by Jeruselem

STP was telegraphed ages ago.  Why do you want a copy of your payment summary, paper or otherwise?  If you're doing your taxes yourself, it's probably online.  If you're doing it via an accountant, they can access it online via the tax agent portal.

Just now, Nich... said:

STP was telegraphed ages ago.  Why do you want a copy of your payment summary, paper or otherwise?  If you're doing your taxes yourself, it's probably online.  If you're doing it via an accountant, they can access it online via the tax agent portal.

Our payroll processing is outsourced to another company who provide an online web site. But this might not be viable for say someone with 20 employees.

How do you think small companies do payroll?  By hand on paper with a solar powered calculator for tough ones?

MYOB Xero etc all handle STP - because it's been telegraphed in advance.

Posted (edited)

We did our payroll processsing in-house mostly until recently. I think outsourcing it was how we become compliant with this new change. The tricky bit was getting our timesheets to directly export to the outsourcing format for payroll. Step 1 was building the timesheet web site and Step 2 was getting that data into another format for payroll. We started that last year!

Edited by Jeruselem

As of last fin. year end I received a GC complete with envelope ... I expect the same this year I hope ;)

6 hours ago, Nich... said:

How do you think small companies do payroll?  By hand on paper with a solar powered calculator for tough ones? 

Um quite possible mbe ... but then the business I work for is super small, private, and so far, secure . Although bloody nothing is a dead cert these days :(

I still recall a feeling of loss for months after my salary was directed straight into my bank acc. " Absolute wtf am I working for if I don't see a pay packet or even a pay slip each week / fortnight ? " , feeling. I've never worked for a biz that paid out monthly.

Immediate control of my hard earned was whisked out of my hands  ... I still fucking hate it tbh.

• Haha 1

At least with internet banking now you can check online. Still doesn't have that feel of pulling cash from the old yellow envelope.