scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

I'll be saying fuck-all here for the next three years, because the answer to this thread title is, too fucken crap for words to express. 

Not to mention what a pain in the arse attempted discussion is these days, with all the disagreement over basic facts... 

14 hours ago, SacrificialNewt said:

deforestation

I got a lot of answers but I’ll just focus on this one because it’s emblematic of the BS surrounding the Carmichael mine.

That mine is gonna get cut on vast swathes of Moray Downs Cattle Station. Ain’t no forest there. It’s grazing land. A few thickets at most.

As Kimmo says, we need to agree on basic facts.

10 hours ago, Leonid said:

It’s grazing land.

I guess it's better for our health and longevity, that we source more and more of our food from overseas .

oh, please be reading sarcasm with my comment above

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-12/adani-approval-could-be-galilee-basin-ice-breaker/11194510

" A decision on the Adani groundwater management plan is set down for tomorrow with environmentalists saying if the Queensland Government gives the green light it will set a precedent for six other mines also planned for the region and allow Adani to break ground within weeks. "

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, eveln said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-12/adani-approval-could-be-galilee-basin-ice-breaker/11194510

" A decision on the Adani groundwater management plan is set down for tomorrow with environmentalists saying if the Queensland Government gives the green light it will set a precedent for six other mines also planned for the region and allow Adani to break ground within weeks. "

https://www.edoqld.org.au/breaking_news_ngws_win

Another spanner thrown in the Adani works

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Phew.

Labor's head must whirling like a mad durbish 😏 . What with QLD Labor trying to act all on board to sustain it's life and now this latest setback ... and not to mention Mr Setka not complying as the new Fed. Opp. Leader would have him do ...

can't be easy trying to be  PC Labor dude just now

Seriously though, I really wouldn't like to be Albanese if / when it conspires that Setka did not make any comment against Rosie Batty

Edited by eveln

14 hours ago, eveln said:

I guess it's better for our health and longevity, that we source more and more of our food from overseas .

oh, please be reading sarcasm with my comment above

Unless you’ve got ideas re how to prevent private landowners selling to mining companies, the point’s kind of moot.

I agree with you re food security but I don’t know how to ensure it or whether the sale of one cattle station to a miner really affects that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

It’s not a spanner. More like procedural delays in death penalty cases when the death row inmate’s lawyer files a brief stating the death penalty is painful.

Like duh... mines disturb the environment. We have rules re levels of acceptable disturbance.

This is just another attempt to delay the inevitable.

9 hours ago, Leonid said:

Unless you’ve got ideas re how to prevent private landowners selling to mining companies, the point’s kind of moot.

I guess a start in helping landowners keep their property might be if both the local and Fed. Gov. backed our grazing and agricultural industry with the same gusto they seem to give to dodgy mining interests.

The amount of pollie time and money spent going through all these checks and balances for mining companies could well be spent insuring the well being of the land and it's ability to feed and nurture us all into the long distant future

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, eveln said:

I guess a start in helping landowners keep their property might be if both the local and Fed. Gov. backed our grazing and agricultural industry with the same gusto they seem to give to dodgy mining interests.

The amount of pollie time and money spent going through all these checks and balances for mining companies could well be spent insuring the well being of the land and it's ability to feed and nurture us all into the long distant future

With no intention to offend, but that up there is pollie speak that amounts to absolutely nothing concrete.

I can quite imagine Albanese saying this, thumping the desk in righteousness while signing off on Adani.

The fact of the matter is that there are shitloads of government programs under which businesses can get grants, etc. And tax credits for money spent on research or prospecting, etc.

And you can’t really remove those without impacting other industries. One of the biggest “subsidies” to mining is the ability to claim back the fuel excise because (fairly) most fuel used on a mine site is not consumed while traversing public roads - which is what the fuel excise is supposed to be for. But miners aren’t the only one using this tax scheme. Farmers use it. Airports use it. Maybe yo a lesser extent.

But the reality is there are few to none mining-specific tax breaks and subsidies. Miners play the game like everyone else eligible.

Edited by Leonid
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Leonid said:

It’s not a spanner. More like procedural delays in death penalty cases when the death row inmate’s lawyer files a brief stating the death penalty is painful.

Like duh... mines disturb the environment. We have rules re levels of acceptable disturbance.

This is just another attempt to delay the inevitable.

The Qld and Fed government tried to fasttrack Adani so it should have started already but the people keep on tearing up the tracks ahead of it so it's slow long grind to get it going. The fact they tried to fasttrack it has backfired as not following normal procedures has led to this - leaving them open to legal appeals for failing their own legal requirements.

Edited by Jeruselem

40 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

The Qld and Fed government tried to fasttrack Adani so it should have started already but the people keep on tearing up the tracks ahead of it so it's slow long grind to get it going. The fact they tried to fasttrack it has backfired as not following normal procedures has led to this - leaving them open to legal appeals for failing their own legal requirements.

Not at all. An approvals process is always subject to Australian law. Fasttracking or no.

Some activist found some loophole that will amount to nothing (as usual) and only delays the mine by a few days or weeks.

Its like a dude who was one of the Texas 7. He had his death penalty postponed from March because the TCDJ violated the constitution in not allowing him freedom of religion in having a Buddhist priest present at the execution. He’s gonna be executed. He’s just using anything he can grasp to delay it. Same with a Adani. It’s happening. These aren’t “spanners in the works”. They’re desperate environmentalists throwing all their toys out of the bathtub.

1 hour ago, Kimmo said:

If my intent had been to insult, then I would have used the correct spelling with no doubt suffered in comprehension.

As my intent was not to insult a  country's traditions, I used the word " durbish "... call it poetic licence if you can manage to be a little less anal about it all .

@Leonid

I'm pretty sure Albanese would be in agreement with the QLD. Gov. 're the commencement  of Adani ... they think it will shore up their support base 

Labor’s got a few things to think about. By definition they should be the default party of Australia.

But as I mentioned earlier, if you assume this government lasts through to 2022, Labor will have been in power for only 26 years since WW2.

And if you consider recent history, in the last quarter century they’ve only had 2-3 years of majority government. That’s pretty bad by any standard. The last time Labor had more than a term of majority government was in the early to mid 90s.

6 hours ago, eveln said:

If my intent had been to insult, then I would have used the correct spelling with no doubt suffered in comprehension.

As my intent was not to insult a  country's traditions, I used the word " durbish "... call it poetic licence if you can manage to be a little less anal about it all

Sounding a bit defensive there?

@Nich... 

more a tad saddened that Kimmo makes a post saying he's  ... " I'll be saying fuck-all here for the next three years, " ... and then comes back in to just needlessly nitpick  ...

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

Labor’s got a few things to think about.

Yeah they do.

3 hours ago, eveln said:

needlessly nitpick

/bows head

/pinches bridge of nose

/sighs

Whatever, parsley tooth. 

7 hours ago, Kimmo said:
10 hours ago, eveln said:

needlessly nitpick

/bows head

/pinches bridge of nose

/sighs

Whatever, parsley tooth. 

/bows head

/pinches bridge of nose

/sighs

whatever, did your pedant eye notice what you thought to be any other error in that post ?

two can play the  * ohh so weary superior being *

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-13/norway-sovereign-wealth-fund-to-ditch-billions-in-coal-stakes/11205134

" Norwegian politicians voted in favour of excluding the $US1 trillion fund from investing in companies that mine more than 20 million tonnes of coal annually or generate more than 10 gigawatts of power from coal. "

" The country's Government Pension Fund Global currently holds a $US1 billion stake in commodities giant Glencore, as well as investments in Australian companies BHP, South32 and AGL Energy. "

I wondered why in the latest articles about Adani's prospects here, they were lowerring their product margins ...

1 hour ago, eveln said:

superior being

Concerned with status much?

You tie yourself in knots; pretending the parsley is an intentional tooth garnish. 

Kimmo and Eveln - it's like watching foreplay before a steamy sex scene in a cult classic only some people appreciate.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

Concerned with status much?

You tie yourself in knots; pretending the parsley is an intentional tooth garnish. 

Pity all you are good for in this thread now is trolling ... If you had paid attention, you would know that I don't do parsley.

7 minutes ago, eveln said:

Pity all you are good for in this thread now is trolling ... If you had paid attention, you would know that I don't do parsley.

Not even a nice fresh metaphorical piece? What if it's organic metaphorical?