scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

1 hour ago, Leonid said:
4 hours ago, eveln said:

Pity it takes decades and decades for some to even consider a more balanced  look at our behaviour to this planet. No wonder the really smart buggers are trying so hard to get off it

You’re implying that I don’t want humanity in space?

No I'm not .

I'm making a counter comment to your inane comment about taking three days for whatever ;)

... also earth / search it's all viewed from your screen as opposed to being there

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

All ventures have faults.

Yes they do. But unlike some, destroying the water source, letting pollutants run off into creeks etc, airborne particals don't adhere to your boundary restrictions . So I'll just keep my scepticism front and center

2 hours ago, eveln said:

also earth / search it's all viewed from your screen as opposed to being there

Actually that’s a better way of understanding.

I’ve used the example before: as a tech I hated Dell because once upon a time I was a Dell server repairer so all I saw were broken Dells.

As I became more senior and gained birds’ eye view of the lay of the land, I came to the realisation that all server vendors had roughly similar rates of failure on average and that Dell was no better or worse.

Seeing a giant fuck-off hole in the ground with dirty trucks entering in and out is bound to make you think it’s dirty and polluting. Take the zoomed out view and you get more perspective.

Google Earth is a good zoomed out view for us plebs. It shows no forests, no settlements nearby. So no black lung, no lead poisoning, no water poisoning unless it’s an accident, no deforestation.

Its just something you have to accept is real.

2 hours ago, eveln said:

Yes they do. But unlike some, destroying the water source, letting pollutants run off into creeks etc, airborne particals don't adhere to your boundary restrictions . So I'll just keep my scepticism front and center

90% of the world’s ocean plastic rubbish (and chemical spills) comes from 10 rivers.

8 are in Asia. 2 are in Africa.

Coal is needed to raise India and China’s middle class and this drop their pop. growth.

By mining the coal here, we’re ensuring more cleanliness than if it was elsewhere. Likewise... what airborne particles?

Posted (edited)

You need to visit a mine. This conversation is moot till you do. Also do you not consider miners people who might suffer ?

11 hours ago, Leonid said:

Coal is needed to raise India and China’s middle class and this drop their pop. growth.

By mining the coal here, we’re ensuring more cleanliness than if it was elsewhere

^^ It's like you drank the cool aid .

I thought one of the marketed reasonings for offshoring our manufacturing was to help raise the standard of living in India . As well as labour being cheaper of course, duh. And what happened is western countries allow their Indian workshops to be sub par to say the least and cause death and suffering to boot

... so yeah continue on about how we're doing 'good things' by letting this rich dude who owns Adani rape our land and make it inhospitable for future use whilst he takes his coal and sells it to the highest bidders, leaving the most needy in India and China still needy.

And if you don't think that's a likely scenario, well what can I say ?

Edited by eveln
Not mute but moot. Although I might as well be mute.

58 minutes ago, eveln said:

You need to visit a mine.

No I don't.

58 minutes ago, eveln said:

This conversation is mute till you do.

Fair enough. Let's keep talking.

59 minutes ago, eveln said:

Also do you not consider miners people who might suffer ?

I'm sorry... but we're in an almost-full employment economy. No-one has to be a miner.

They know the risks, just like soldiers know the risks, just like cops know the risks.

1 hour ago, eveln said:

And if you don't think that's a likely scenario, well what can I say ?

Well you've said quite a lot of hooey so may as well continue:

1 hour ago, eveln said:

by letting this rich dude who owns Adani rape our land and make it inhospitable for future use whilst he takes his coal and sells it to the highest bidders, leaving the most needy in India and China still needy

1. Really? Rape our land? How many percentage points off zero are you Aboriginal? 

2. Land is a resource. It's a commodity that is sold and used. If you can think of a way of preventing private owners of land from selling their land to mining companies, without devolving into a totalitarian dictatorship, let me know... I'm all ears.

3. Nobody sells coal to the highest bidders. It ain't an auction.

4. Coal is specifically one of the few resources that helps the needy. Coal power is cheep and in China is correlated with the rise of the middle class out of poverty.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Leonid said:

1. Really? Rape our land? How many percentage points off zero are you Aboriginal? 

2. Land is a resource. It's a commodity that is sold and used.

Yeahh no, how narrow of you to think that only Aboriginals would feel a connection, or respect for the land they grew up on, and a wish to see their lives end on too.

So what, when this place ( Australia ) just becomes to inhospitable or unviable due to pollutants etc. you'll just pick your family up and move to Israel ? ( I read a post you made somewhere about doing this , could even have been this thread maybe )

@AdanThomas ... firstly hello nice to see a new name here ( unless of course you be an alt )...secondly um wtf ?  🙂

Edited by eveln

1 hour ago, eveln said:

Yeahh no, how narrow of you to think that only Aboriginals would feel a connection, or respect for the land they grew up on, and a wish to see their lives end on too.

And what connection do you feel to a 5km^2 patch of Moray Downs Cattle Station, 130km from Clermont?

1 hour ago, eveln said:

on, and a wish to see their lives end on too.

So what, when this place ( Australia ) just becomes to inhospitable or unviable due to pollutants

You sure you’ve thought about the hypocrisy of this as you’ve purchased or used cars, electricity, plastics... etc?

The fact that I support digging up coal to provide power to developing nations which then build shit we buy, doesn’t make any of us better than the other. So I really urge you to quieten down on this point.

13 minutes ago, Leonid said:

And what connection do you feel to a 5km^2 patch of Moray Downs Cattle Station, 130km from Clermont?

You sure you’ve thought about the hypocrisy of this as you’ve purchased or used cars, electricity, plastics... etc?

The fact that I support digging up coal to provide power to developing nations which then build shit we buy, doesn’t make any of us better than the other. So I really urge you to quieten down on this point.

Go back to where I described Adani as an " overkill " .

If you don't want to listen, or really read ... Then stop being so judgemental about others 😉

On 19/06/2019 at 10:42 PM, eveln said:

You need to visit a mine. This conversation is moot till you do. Also do you not consider miners people who might suffer ?

@ReapermanRS feel like you need a great big @ for some reason.

Also,

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-05/coal-mine-rehabilitation-cost-could-hit-taxpayers/10463302

Just throwing that out there in case some people forgot

Mining company environment rehab is a joke. They try legally worm out of doing it or do as little as possible.

6 hours ago, Nich... said:

@ReapermanRS feel like you need a great big @ for some reason.

Almost went in that direction myself tbh. Then I recalled him posting a hospital pic, but I can't remember what he was in for... I didn't want to bother him with this stuff.

I thought Caelum might be another, but again, my guess is too busy for this ...

????

I was bemused by your reply Ev, then I noted it was Friday scotch night... Cheers!!! 🙂

Cheers indeed 🙂

Reaperman worked in the mines for a while, some of it in QLD too I believe. He put up a pic of himself having a hospital stay .I remember commenting on it ... I too had thought of @ing him for his take on proceedings ... yes it was Friday night last night and I did have a scotch on ice ... what did you have @chrisg ?

🙂

A nice glass of SSB, actually a couple   🙂

Cheers

10 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

NSW government approve another coal mine! So what? The mine runs under a major water catchment of drinking water.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kores-australia/south-korean-firm-wins-mining-leases-for-long-delayed-australian-coal-project-idUSKCN1TM0TT

* blinks * ... um. well I guess it can't be said Aussies don't do diversity of ownership. 😕

RBA lowered rates to ... 1%. Yep, the economy is so good they have to lower the rate to 1%.

🙂

Compared to the days that I recall of 17.5% plus interest, not particularly bothered by it.

Banks makes crazy amounts of money trading and on the short term market, they do not need interest to show profit, it's a legacy of simpler times that they happily take advantage of.

It does make you wonder though why credit card interests remain high - higher risk I suppose.

Cheers

Unlike some personal and all home loans, not backed by any (or much) collateral.

I suppose now the term deposits will plunge again.

Julie Bishop has a new job

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-02/julie-bishop-new-job-palladium-personal-advantage-penny-wong/11272104

"

Key points:

• Ms Bishop has joined Palladium's board, which has more than $500 million in contracts with the Department of Foreign Affairs
  • Labor's Penny Wong says this is a breach of ministerial standards and has called on the PM's office to act
  • Ms Bishop says she believes she is compliant with the Statement of Ministerial Standards "

LOL how cooool is that ?!  *snigger * 😛

Posted (edited)

RBA shouldn't exist and higher interest rates are generally a sign of a stronger economy.

Edited by NZT48
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

Unlike some personal and all home loans, not backed by any (or much) collateral.

I suppose now the term deposits will plunge again.

Yep, checked term deposit rates for ANZ ... like 1%! 2.35% at best. That's around inflation.

It was 2.6 a couple of years ago, but give them time.

Some savers accounts will give ... 3% but that's as good as it will get.