scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

5 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Do they still refuel there ? They moved to off-shore refueling to avoid any debate over if they are carrying nukes I had thought, years ago   🙂

Cheers

No idea about the ships, but I've had nuclear capable B1 fly over my house once.

Hmm,

Must have been a few years ago, the B-1s are no longer nuclear capable.

Here in Perth (where I no longer live) it is now rather rare for anything bigger than a destroyer to tie up at the wharves. The big ships are too big, they anchor well out in the roads.

One of the last carriers to actually tie up was a Marine one, conventional power, carrying non-nuclear capable Harriers. That was well over a decade ago, I went down for a visit, but I don't think they took on fuel, it was just a goodwill visit (for which read keep the Perth hookers happy  🙂 )

Cheers

Heh.

At the moment I'll admit to flogging a dead horse but in a sensible world Thorium cycle is the future.

It is true there has never, yet, been a nuclear accident on a U.S. Navy ship of any type - by definition they are SMRs so the article contradicts itself but they are still Uranium or Plutonium cycle.

The Enterprise went EOL a few years back, with eight reactors on board, the navy do not currently know just how they are going to deactivate and dismantle them.

Later carriers only have two reactors but that does not really reduce the problem -how do you get rid of them at end of useful life ?

Thorium cycle has a promise, no more, of the ability to burn waste, which would be a nice reversal of the accumulation of the stuff.

Cold fusion would be very, very nice, but it remains at the moment a receding dream.

Something has to be done and it is not coal, apart from anything else it is itself finite.

The world needs energy, a lot more energy, thorium deserves at least a hard look, not the near on dismissal it is getting at the moment.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

RBNZ reduced rates from 1.5% to 1.00%! So Australia and NZ have a huge cash rate of 1%. RBNZ have not ruled out negative rates!

Edited by Jeruselem

Negative rates!?!

You pay me for investing money !?!

Count me in 🙂

(Not that simple, i know, never is with banks. )

Cheers

No, you pay them.

I have NFI why anyone would use that except if some sort of negative gearing came into play.

🙂

Good luck calling the number dear Hank the wank has provided....

i'm on the age pension, don't particularly want to be, prefer to be working for a living but I not only moved States but had to give up looking for work for six months whilst I cared for a dying mother. I did not apply for carer benefits, perhaps I should have done but Centrelink is a disorganised beast, I want to be as far away as possible from its mawl.

Quite apart from anything else they have a disquieting habit of taking money in this or similar manners because their systems are crap then being slow to repay it or in other situations overpay and then demand immediate repayment with all manner of threats when the persons involved were simply trying to do the right thing.

They are a debacle, through and through.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Get ready for QE and negative interest rates ... don't say no one wanted you

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-09/reserve-bank-cuts-economic-forecasts-again/11399576

PS How negative interest rates work - and the need remove CASH first

https://blogs.imf.org/2019/02/05/cashing-in-how-to-make-negative-interest-rates-work/

Edited by Jeruselem

Australian media: Fawning interviews with leaders of Pacific nations in their heroic push-back against Australian sovereign interests vis-a-vis China.

Also Australian media: Critical reviews of PM Morrison in his push-back against a vote by Pacific nations to go against Australian sovereign interests vis-a-vis generating power so we can actually run our fucken electricity grid.

• Haha 1

Heh.

I think ScoMo did surprise many of the delegates when he pointed out that per capita we quite literally lead the world in renewable energy.

He's right to, we do, nonetheless coal really does need to be phased out, easier said than done.

Cheers

All I've heard is something about the Kiwi PM having a go at Aus ... I've been distracted with things more closely/ instantly related to my survival just lately 😉  I did see a pic of our PM wearing a print shirt and some sort of headdress ... for a moment I wondered whether he was auditioning for a production of " Jesus Christ Superstar " but I think he had a smile on his dial which didn't seem appropriate

My takeaway from the forum is that our deputy PM was stupid enough to crack a joke about island people worried about the survival of their islands, because hey Australian farmers need cheap labour anyway right.

14 minutes ago, Nich... said:

My takeaway from the forum is that our deputy PM was stupid enough to crack a joke about island people worried about the survival of their islands, because hey Australian farmers need cheap labour anyway right.

Does them a lot of good if their homes are under water doesn't it?

Every time I think the current clowns have hit rock bottom they seem to come up with some way to increase the cringe factor and confirm they haven't got a single bloody clue about anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aliali said:

Does them a lot of good if their homes are under water doesn't it?

Every time I think the current clowns have hit rock bottom they seem to come up with some way to increase the cringe factor and confirm they haven't got a single bloody clue about anything.

I blame the weather. The Aussie winter freezes their minds, then they get out there to the sunny climes and the frozen minds melt and dribble out this utter shite

Posted (edited)

Apparently there are people on this forum who are even shallower than our media. I didn’t know such a level existed but there ya go.

Our esteemable Pacific Island kleptocrats voted with China on climate change and blamed us, whereas the reality is that at this point in time, global climate change is pretty much purely a China problem.

They are the only ones increasing their coal footprint.

No wonder Western civilisation is falling apart when we blame our own governments for the sins of those condemning us.

You should be ashamed of yourselves. You could’ve sent Eddie Obeid and Joe Tripoli to that fucken forum and they would be the least corrupt people there by a country mile.

So here’s an amazing thought. Try taking Australia’s side. Just once. For once.

Edited by Leonid

Can you tell our deputy PM to take Australia's side too, Leo?  Or at least get him a lesson on why, diplomatically, his kinds of comments don't do well for 'building influence in the Pacific to compete with China's rise'.

FTR, China burns more coal in 9 days than we do in a year.

And the fact we sell much of it to them, irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

So here’s an amazing thought. Try taking Australia’s side. Just once. For once.

Oh please.

FFS this is still a country that will allow full unadulterated criticism of itself. And thank christ for that. When our pollies are being utter dicks on a world stage they need to be called out for it.

This has nothing to do with the creds of other countries' pollies.

• Like 1

Leo is quite correct, Ry also, China's carbon footprint is appalling and not getting better in a hurry.

Yeah, we do sell them the coal that they burn, but I don't really see how we cannot.

They are trying, moving to nuclear, hydro anything and everything but they just can't keep up with the demand.

The last time I was in Beijing, I really had issues with the smog, and apparently it is far from being the worst city.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

FTR, China burns more coal in 9 days than we do in a year.

And the fact we sell much of it to them, irrelevant.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/10296/economics/top-co2-polluters-highest-per-capita/

Irrelevant I guess.

Given China has such a big GDP, I wish I could live there, everyone is so rich.  10x as rich as you!

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

Can you tell our deputy PM to take Australia's side too, Leo?  Or at least get him a lesson on why, diplomatically, his kinds of comments don't do well for 'building influence in the Pacific to compete with China's rise'.

The Pacific Nation’s take Chinese money because there is no Chinese law against bribing foreign governments.

We fight Chinese influence with our hands tied.

So who gives what the Deputy PM says in a room of kleptocrats?

37 minutes ago, eveln said:

Oh please.

FFS this is still a country that will allow full unadulterated criticism of itself. And thank christ for that. When our pollies are being utter dicks on a world stage they need to be called out for it.

This has nothing to do with the creds of other countries' pollies.

Except our pollies aren’t being dicks on the world stage.

Frankly, we need the cheap labour and most of the Pacific would give their right but to earn it because guess what? For all the posturing not one of those countries has done jack shit on climate adaptation, local environment or any kind of decarbonisation of their own.

I dunno.  You want us to side with Australia but are ok for our politicians to not side with our purported aims. 

I wish people had such low expectations for me when in the workplace.

• Like 1