scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

Unfortunately that is true, but it is somewhat different, Family Court judges operate within the guidelines of the law on pretty much a daily basis and are bound by those laws.

Other than when they get caught out and shrug off a fine banks tend to be a law unto themselves.

With family law the laws need revision then the judges have a basis to follow. I rather think that a lot of them are as frustrated by the system as many people are.

Cheers

It's really not very surprising, MyGov is full of holes, the best security it seems to have is a lot of the time you can't logon yourself.

They seem to think two factor authentication is the be-all-and-end-all, sure, it's a start but it is not impossible, probably quite trivial to get a phone redirect happening - even more brute force just pinch someone's 'phone. You would have a window of opportunity only but that could well be more than enough.

MyGov is the government trying to save money by grouping as many agencies as possible under a portal.

That's fine, a government looking to save money is a good thing, but they have not really thought it through, if you can steal someone's identity and you can logon to his or hers MyGov account you can pretty much do what you like as it stands now.

As a one-way information only system it is ok, but you should not at the moment be able to perform any transactions within it at all, it is simply not secure enough.

Banks are bad enough, but this is not bank level security at all.

I wonder what would have happened if that money had actually been transferred ?

A bank would at least process a refund, might take a week or so but they implicitly admit their systems are not totally secure and cover your money, does MyGov ?

Somehow I doubt it.

My bank has a system, not ideal, but they introduce a pause, if I put through a payment I get an email asking me to confirm it and it asks for a response, it does not release funds until I respond.

There are nefarious ways to beat that I'm sure but it is better than MyGov as it currently stands.

They need to take responsibility for forcing us through the portal, but thus far they haven't. At least their helpdesk is pretty good.

Cheers

mygov is a desirable system to get access to. If a taxpayer has multiple departments linked, they can do all sorts of scams using that person's persona.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, chrisg said:

seems almost, I do say almost, rigged to make it too easy to break families.

You realise there's a presumption that sexual abuse matters less than keeping kids with their parents? You might want to read the article I linked. 

Edited by Kimmo

...I did read it Kimmo.

I probably come across as angry with the family court, not that I personally have any reason to be, but I'm not, I'm angry with the laws that force the family court to make decisions that I'm pretty certain they do not want to make.

My niece has a mountain of tales of failures, one of the most telling being how a mother was given custody of a child and less than a month later was on the streets, homeless from not being able to pay rent having spent all her dole money on drugs. My niece intervened and found them a place in a shelter but used her authority to have the case put before the court with a request that the child, who was 3 years old, be made a ward of the court.

The court agreed and noted that it should have been the case when the custody first came up. I do not know the full details of the case but the admitted father was apparently a perfectly ok guy although unemployed at the time of the custody battle. That had been enough to have in the first hearing the mother be given custody.

My niece is now in the process of getting the father custody of the child, he's now working but she expects a battle because he is working so the court will have to interpret that as cannot be there for the child.

It happen that the father's family are perfectly happy to help out but it is difficult to make that case in court.

The likelihood is the child will end up in foster care, the father may get visitation rights...

That is the way that the law gets interpreted and what under the law it apparently has to happen. I don't understand it but at the moment and until the case gets heard, in several weeks time, the child is in foster care.

So the poor kid is a ping pong ball  in a battle which as my niece went deeper discovered the only reason the mother wanted custody was to get the child allowance to feed her drug habit. Dig deeper and she has done it before, under an alias.

Once I heard the story I thought it must be an anomaly, my niece just gave me a very weary smile and told me she sees similar situations quite often, and worse, including kids being farmed out to pedophiles for cash, for drugs, but the court has given custody, until the social workers uncover the situation, if they do.

I honestly do not know how she does the job and functions as a great mother to two kids of her own.

She understands the system, knows it is completely broken and has no idea how to fix it but thinks this latest inquiry can't hurt.

Cheers (not very, my niece has shaken my confidence in humanity)

When you're talking about these sorts of problems, it's easy to form an opinion based on a few anecdotes. But it's pointless - you're looking at a miniscule fraction of the picture, and you have a snowflake's chance of seeing a representative sample. 

For instance, I'm completely uninterested in what ER doctors or cops have to say about the odds of ending up as a statistic; they're not epidemiologists so they wouldn't have a fucking clue. They see one end of the spectrum, and maybe 5% of them, if that, even know what a cognitive bias is. 

Folks telling stories about what they've seen isn't worth a damn, unless they're telling a well-trained researcher who's going to weigh that against the 98% of everyone without a story. In fact, it's worse than useless because you're virtually guaranteed to weigh the evidence not by its frequency but by its emotive effect. 

Oh, no argument Kimmo, but the anecdotes do flow thick and fast when it comes to Family Court.

I think the question here really is is a new inquiry that Pauline Hanson is championing relevant ?

I'm not at all sure, as I've said, that it will make any difference but it's not a situation that I'm comfortable to see on-going and I rather think that might be the same stance taken by a lot of those on the front lines, both in the court itself and among social workers.

Partly I think the query arises just because it is Hanson who is championing it but as reluctant as I am to give her credit because basically I cannot stand her it is necessary to look past that to the enduring problem.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I think the question here really is is a new inquiry that Pauline Hanson is championing relevant ?

Depends on its terms of reference, and to what extent it actually matters who's chairing it (hopefully not much, but due process seems to be a dying art).

Yep,

And I have no idea what the terms of reference are beyond her referring to it as "holistic."

As I said, beyond it possibly wasting some time and money it is rather unlikely to do any harm.

Cheers

The inquiry is a payoff for Pauline to support the LNP and will produce zero results other than a document no one will use but it will still spend money we don't need to spend!

Hmm.

That could be J, but I am rather uncertain Hanson understands bribes, she really can be that dumb.

It's a gamble but one I think should be taken, the Family Court really is a debacle and if Hanson's "anti publicity" means it gets more attention that might be a good thing.

Heck the Government has wasted money on less worthy causes and will again.

Cheers

5 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

The inquiry is a payoff for Pauline to support the LNP and will produce zero results other than a document no one will use but it will still spend money we don't need to spend!

Sounds about right, not to mention audibly dog-whistling patriarchy... just about everything they do to rev up their base amounts to trolling the left.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Kimmo said:
6 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Sounds about right, not to mention audibly dog-whistling patriarchy... just about everything they do to rev up their base amounts to trolling the left.

crikey so if it's about matriarchy then it 'sings a more reliable tune' huh ? Preserve us from the tropes  that plague  us

I couldn't give a fuck. What ever brings the fucked up system of the courts and right back and including the fuck up that is also DOCS, into the middle of the room  then it should be given the time of day

Edited by eveln

12 hours ago, eveln said:

crikey so if it's about matriarchy then it 'sings a more reliable tune' huh ? Preserve us from the tropes  that plague  us

Who said anything about matriarchy? Oppression is oppression. 

15 hours ago, Kimmo said:

It's going be a freaking media circus to distract us from real issues like our zombie economy.

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

our zombie economy.

I know what'll fix that! Let's hand over all the money we should be spending on maintaining society to folks who don't need more money! 

The solution is so obvious! 

37 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

I know what'll fix that! Let's hand over all the money we should be spending on maintaining society to folks who don't need more money! 

The solution is so obvious! 

Sure is, it's called Quantitative Easing!

You guys laugh but that’s exactly how the Taiwan Miracle happened and how South Korea because an advanced economy.

Rich people know how to create money from money and labour. They also know how to invest strategically.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Leonid said:

You guys laugh but that’s exactly how the Taiwan Miracle happened and how South Korea because an advanced economy.

Rich people know how to create money from money and labour. They also know how to invest strategically.

Yeah? Japan, Taiwan and SK are small high tech countries. Australia's biggest exports are still raw materials and we don't exactly make much here (let alone high tech) or even just cars! Our economic boom has based on export commodities and real estate.

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:
2 hours ago, Leonid said:

Yeah? Japan, Taiwan and SK are small high tech countries. Australia's biggest exports are still raw materials and we don't exactly make much here (let alone high tech) or even just cars! Our economic boom has based on export commodities and real estate.

Got to have the money flowing within the country too. That's pretty bloody important.

Maybe we could take a leaf out of the Mexicans' book on how to deal with your local politicians. It seems they take 'custody' of the offending pollies, dress them in womens' clothes ( I think we can improve on that somehow ) and parade them through the various towns for days. Yep not just one day, but apparently they can go for nearly a week's worth of parades with the citizens heckling them with their various ineptitudes

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

And yet we’re one of the richest people on earth. Our middle class sits easily in the global 1%.

How do we think it got there?