Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

3 hours ago, Leonid said:

Here’s a fun fact. The Premier of QLD left for holidays the same day as ScoMo while parr’s of her state burn.

The difference is she’s still away. Oh and then there’s the fact that ScoMo controls absolutely no firefighting capability or response. She does.

C'mon Leo.................let's not bring any facts or common sense into this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leonid said:

Here’s a fun fact. The Premier of QLD left for holidays the same day as ScoMo while parr’s of her state burn.

The difference is she’s still away. Oh and then there’s the fact that ScoMo controls absolutely no firefighting capability or response. She does.

And the fact as a QLDer, I wasn't aware of her absence, is a good indication of the lack of care factor for her presence.

I'd love to say with total confidence that she and Labor will be out of control come next election ... 

Scomo is the PM. Just for that reason alone, he needs to be here in times such as these.

🙂

Queensland pollies are not usually so bashful, but I didn't even know there was a female leader, let alone that she was on holiday....

Cheers

5 hours ago, eveln said:

Scomo is the PM. Just for that reason alone, he needs to be here in times such as these.

To be fair, it's the end of an election year (that he won as dead-set underdog) and the holiday season is upon us. That shit would have been locked in months ago.

1 hour ago, Damo said:

To be fair, it's the end of an election year (that he won as dead-set underdog) and the holiday season is upon us. That shit would have been locked in months ago.

Doesn't matter. IMO, he's paid enough to change his plans ... he's the elected PM and in the face of Australia burning as it is, he should be here. Like I said earlier, his wife and daughters were good to go regardless ... although it would've been an  even better ' feel '  if they'd all decided to stay and make sangas or whatever to feed the people fighting the fires.  Granted I do get his politics of going, as in letting the burning towns know that he considered this just your average Aussie summer so he might as well take his girls for their hols .

But really given the constant drought, winds, and fuckhead arsonists, it's not quite average . And now he just looks like a privileged white male ;)

Albanese doesn't need to make a big stink , he just needs to keep niggling on the side about compensating the volunteers ... lol

• Like 1

Don't get me started on empire building in the volunteer emergency services............................

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, eveln said:

know that he considered this just your average Aussie summer so he might as well take his girls for their hols .

But really given the constant drought, winds, and fuckhead arsonists, it's not quite average . And now he just looks like a privileged white male 😉

Edit: Not directed at you Ev. Just generalities. 

Nah. It just seems like everyone has memory holed Black Thursday, Black Sunday, Black Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Black Christmas, Black Saturday etc. 

Climate change well and truly raped Australia back in 1851 when over 12,000,000 acres were destroyed (NSW currently at 8m). Then you've got NSW in 74/75 - 11,000,000 acres. NSW 84/85 - 8,600,000 acres. All of those are bigger, but yet here we are! How fucking crazy is that? We made it people! WE DID IT!

How about all of the idiots who decide to build their houses in traditional bushfire areas and floodplains? Why are they not coming into this discussion? Of course more homes are burning down and being flooded out.. are people really surprised about it? Seriously?

We live on the driest continent on planet earth. Fucking hell people, take a Xanax and take a nap. I might go up and take a series of photo shoots as all of this bush bounces back beautiful, green and rejuvenated just to prove a point. Bushfires do not equal permanent loss of greenery.

WIKIPEDIA FFS

Bushfires in Australia are common, impact extensive areas, and can cause property damage and loss of human life. However, certain native flora in Australia have evolved to rely on bushfires as a means of reproduction, and fire events are an interwoven and an essential part of the ecology of the continent. For thousands of years, Indigenous Australians have used fire to foster grasslands for hunting and to clear tracks through dense vegetation.

Won't someone think of the plants that actually need this to germinate? Or are they only important to you when they are burning down? Fucking hell people. Get a grip.

ALARM! PANIC! GRETA HELP US!! WE WILL DO WHATEVER YOU SAY! HERE, HAVE SOME FREE SHECKLES!

Edited by Damo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Damo said:

HAVE SOME FREE SHECKLES!

Hey fuck off. I hand out the shekels around ‘ere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Damo said:

boo fucking hoo

as someone who spent a large number of nights of my life on call, if you're in a position of responsibility when the shit hits the fan, you suck it up, princess

he's an arsehat, through and through (even if it's a trucker cap)

32 minutes ago, Damo said:

how about all of the idiots who decide to build their houses in traditional bushfire areas and floodplains? Why are they not coming into this discussion? Of course more homes are burning down and being flooded out.. are people really surprised about it? Seriously?

and the fucktards that zoned it ?  how much palm greasing does that require ?

6 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

and the fucktards that zoned it ?  how much palm greasing does that require ?

Most of the time none (my brother is an urban planner).

It’s usually because of that excitable western mentality of “she’ll be right mate” or a variety thereof where someone lights a fire and a whole bunch of suckholes dance around it in a conga line and nobody thinks of the consequences.

In short - the planning sucks cause it sucks, not because of grease. Mostly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

as someone who spent a large number of nights of my life on call, if you're in a position of responsibility when the shit hits the fan, you suck it up, princess

Congrats. I spent my entire life in the military and I've been 'called' to every corner of the globe at one stage or another.

But guess what? When I'm on leave, I'm not on call. Apart from handing out snags he was right - it's a state issue, and as has been seen him coming back did absolutely nothing! Nada! ZIP! He could still be there for all I care because the only people that DO care are the fucking bleeding hearts not doing anything to help but instead spamming social media and spreading their alarmist bullshit.

I feel I ought to explain. My brother’s first job was planning approval for a brothel in Penrith:

All the paperwork was done, the zoning was appropriate. The council sued to stop the development and queried all points of my brother’s work.

It turns out that councils hold up this stuff so that they can show their taxpayers that they’re doing something. Millions get wasted and everyone knows the brothel is gonna get built because the area was zoned specifically for it 3-4y ago. Everyone is trying to achieve the appearance of doing something but in the end it just generates red tape, wasted cash and not a thing gets changed.

That’s what planning in Australia is like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damo said:

Edit: Not directed at you Ev. Just generalities. 

Rightio

1 hour ago, Damo said:

Nah. It just seems like everyone has memory holed Black Thursday, Black Sunday, Black Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Black Christmas, Black Saturday etc. 

Climate change well and truly raped Australia back in 1851 when over 12,000,000 acres were destroyed (NSW currently at 8m). Then you've got NSW in 74/75 - 11,000,000 acres. NSW 84/85 - 8,600,000 acres. All of those are bigger, but yet here we are! How fucking crazy is that? We made it people! WE DID IT!

I've not done the research to see whether the PM of the moments was in country or not with any of the past horrors you've listed. But sure, being of volunteer fireman stock, I'd not blithely forgotten any of the Black and Ash days . 

1 hour ago, Damo said:

How about all of the idiots who decide to build their houses in traditional bushfire areas and floodplains? Why are they not coming into this discussion? Of course more homes are burning down and being flooded out.. are people really surprised about it? Seriously?

QFT. I mean if you can't look with your eyes and see the possibilities, both for and against , weeelll ... the only thing you may not see or know by merely looking is if you are building on a toxic waste site ...perhaps.

But we're people and therefore special ... till we think it's time our Gov. supported us then we're just poor little anxious sods with no help :P  ...

47 minutes ago, Damo said:

the only people that DO care are the fucking bleeding hearts not doing anything to help but instead spamming social media and spreading their alarmist bullshit.

ohhhh now really, I think I must take a leeetle exception to your comment here. I mean I'm waaay up north away from it all doing nothing but spamming this thread with why our PM shoulda fucken thought of all those firies out their busting their guts for people who are allowed, by State laws, to build their houses in the worst possible areas for fires !!. He's the PM of the country which includes all of the States within it  :)

I simply don't see the importance of that idiot coming back from holiday outside of optics. The points he made regarding the fires were actually on point. He's not buying into the alarmism and knee jerking a decision just because the Instagram thots want to live stream their horror. Given how much we smash the government for knee jerking.. this is a good thing imo.

Anything he could do here he could do in a conference call with his deputy, outside of making me a sausage sanga and getting photo ops with the poor cunts that lost their bush cabin and didn't have insurance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Damo said:

I simply don't see the importance of that idiot coming back from holiday outside of optics. The points he made regarding the fires were actually on point. He's not buying into the alarmism and knee jerking a decision just because the Instagram thots want to live stream their horror. Given how much we smash the government for knee jerking.. this is a good thing imo.

Anything he could do here he could do in a conference call with his deputy, outside of making me a sausage sanga and getting photo ops with the poor cunts that lost their bush cabin and didn't have insurance.

just luving your empathy 😛

no but seriously, part of the reason he is the PM is due to all the various networks of social media working in his favour so to speak ... surely it's time for some good ol' quid pro quo

the fact that he came back as a matter of "image management" shows what a pathetic creature he is

you might have been deployed to outer bumfuckistan, but if you were on holidays and happened to be the commander-in-chief, guess what ? end of holidays

the weak part is electively leaving your command during a major shitstorm - whether you can do anything is moot; being there as a figurehead is part of the gig

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Damo said:

1851 I haven't looked up but how much less was Australia developed and imagine how current fires would go with firefighting texh from back then. 

74/75 and 84/85 wer mostly out west of NSW where they had a whole lot of rain and then all that vegetation went up in smoke which is a bit different to masses of bushland and the far better fire fighting tech we have now. 

Of course things will grow back after this. That's how it always works. I don't think anyone is saying this fire season is going to destroy us (although I've seen some spurious claims that koalas will be all but extinct)  but that it is not a healthy trend. 

14 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Of course things will grow back after this. That's how it always works.

the planet will be just fine after the next major extinction event

we won't

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

the planet will be just fine after the next major extinction event

we won't

‘That’s always been true whether climate change or not.

The clue is in the “major extinction event” bit

9 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

the fact that he came back as a matter of "image management" shows what a pathetic creature he is

you might have been deployed to outer bumfuckistan, but if you were on holidays and happened to be the commander-in-chief, guess what ? end of holidays

the weak part is electively leaving your command during a major shitstorm - whether you can do anything is moot; being there as a figurehead is part of the gig

General Damo........................that could be scary..............

8 hours ago, fliptopia said:

1851 I haven't looked up but how much less was Australia developed and imagine how current fires would go with firefighting texh from back then. 

74/75 and 84/85 wer mostly out west of NSW where they had a whole lot of rain and then all that vegetation went up in smoke which is a bit different to masses of bushland and the far better fire fighting tech we have now. 

Of course things will grow back after this. That's how it always works. I don't think anyone is saying this fire season is going to destroy us (although I've seen some spurious claims that koalas will be all but extinct)  but that it is not a healthy trend. 

Well, they have said it will never snow again in Australia..........................and they said out dams would never be full again...............among many other lies and hysterical statements.................they might get one right eventually!

5 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

General Damo........................that could be scary..............

Well, they have said it will never snow again in Australia..........................and they said out dams would never be full again...............among many other lies and hysterical statements.................they might get one right eventually!

Said by outliers and fringe dwellers or by consensus? Or was it some media hype piece that misconstrued scientific findings? 

Edited by fliptopia

1 minute ago, fliptopia said:

Said by outliers and fringe dwellers or by consensus? 

By the highest authorities!

But the poor memory of the general populace is why pollies and other scumbags get away with the same things over and over.

You mean where Tim Flannery was talking about dams? Where he was saying Perth would be in trouble by 2064 and Sydney would lose about 25% of rainfall by 2050 and that a worst case scenario would be extreme conditions lasting another 2 years but not that that was the likely scenario? The quotes that guys like Andrew Bolt then selectively quite so they don't include a time scale so they make them sounds outlandish and ridiculous? Are they what you are talking about? 

So is the problem poor memories or selective quoting? 

Probably both to be honest. 

• Like 1

Imagine if you will, a society that thinks the planet's temperature can be controlled by giving money to the United Nations.

QgxgBwT.png

ALARM! PANIC!

I really thought you guys would have caught on by now, but I guess I gave you all too much credit. Global cooling. The new ice age is coming. Global warming. Climate 'change'. All within what, 20 years? The science must be SOLID (if a little confusing!).

• Like 1