Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

Every Greens leader has made sure that SHY didn't have the numbers before they resigned.

I'm surprised the voters of SA re-elected her TBH.

She only scraped in on preferences after a huge drop in primaries.

I just came in to post the same thing Jeruselem, lol.

Matty C. is relegated to the back benches. Good. He needs to garner some humility and practice memory learning techniques

I wonder how much time will have to pass for Barnaby's exploits to rate zero on the care factor ...

Edited by eveln
to

21 minutes ago, eveln said:

I just came in to post the same thing Jeruselem, lol.

Matty C. is relegated to the back benches. Good. He needs to garner some humility and practice memory learning techniques

He backed the wrong horse, the dead one in the paddock.

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

d3a362db933142c3f2a10740170ff2c41ec3a8b1

According to one journo the  Nats still resolved unanimously to keep Bridget McKenzie as Senate leader. 

Well I suppose they don't have a choice really. It's either this crook or another crook.

18 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Cynical, but utterly true   🙂

Cheers

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2020/february/1580475600/don-watson/leaders-and-dung-beetles

At some point in any interview with the prime minister one is liable to be reminded of a dung beetle: he starts with nothing much at all and by unstoppable single­minded exertion he pushes it through every interrogative thicket and every hurdle of logic and evidence until he’s created a ball of bullshit several times his own size.

Oh my.

🙂

A perfectly apt description of what pollies are dishing up these days.

Cheers

So we get a new Minister for Coal and Fossil Fuels, since Matt Canavan resigned.

On 2/2/2020 at 3:47 PM, LogicprObe said:

The EU is there for France and Germany to tell the rest what to do.

The Poms, having saved France from the Krauts.........twice...........would have a bad taste in their mouths.

The rest of the world should have boycotted them from the start as their rules have become so stupid to deal with them.

California should join!

They like stupid rules too.

What, like being the only place in the world to not totally drop the fucking ball when it comes to personal data protection? 

11 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

What, like being the only place in the world to not totally drop the fucking ball when it comes to personal data protection? 

Yes,

That is true, even France which had been very onerous about encryption finally cam to the party on that one.

The problem with the EU has been for quite a while that it is administratively incredibly top heavy and its member states shoulder a heavy burden in paying for that.

Were I in the UK I would have voted to stay, but I can see the argument in favor of leaving. Great Britain has been through so much trauma, from before I was born, that it is easy to forget what a powerhouse economy it can be. For some reason it was the Nation that economically suffered the most out of WWII. No one came along with a Marshall Plan to rebuild its cities and its manufacturing industry was decimated by bad decisions and bad politics right up to and after I left in the 70s. Yet through it all the City in particular has been at the core of world finance and rather quietly it is a major re-exporting nation, something that being in the EU has diluted.

I don't know if Johnson is the right person to lead the country away from Europe, not that it will exactly be going far, only a few years will determine that and they will be rocky ones. However it is a nation very experienced in international trade and finance it will survive, hopefully it will thrive.

What is really needed, just as it remains with Australia is for it to develop its smarts. Manufacturing is very, very unlikely to ever really come back but the country can hang on to what it has, but the real future will be in being clever, or cleverer.

Cheers

45 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I don't know if Johnson is the right person to lead the country away from Europe, not that it will exactly be going far, only a few years will determine that and they will be rocky ones. However it is a nation very experienced in international trade and finance it will survive, hopefully it will thrive.

What is really needed, just as it remains with Australia is for it to develop its smarts. Manufacturing is very, very unlikely to ever really come back but the country can hang on to what it has, but the real future will be in being clever, or cleverer.

Lol, Johnson isn't the right person to lead a trip to the milk bar, let alone a nation anywhere except down the gurgler. Like Trump and Scummo, an utter fraud; intellectually and ethically bankrupt, epitomising the disgraceful array of grasping conmen making up the vast bulk of their parties.

As for whether first world manufacturing will ever make a comeback, that might just turn around...

Look at it this way: if civilisation persists for more than a couple of decades, it'll only be because we stop believing neoliberal scammers who try to con us into burning the future so a few fat pricks can make themselves even more obscene. This would mean actually taking into account all the externalities (you know, someone else's problem) inherent in global trade. The actual expense of shipping every damn thing across the world so you can have it cheap and nasty is, I suspect, utterly fucking prohibitive. 

🙂

I was being polite about Johnson, I've very little time for him either but it seems he is the best England can dredge up at the moment.

All doom and gloom aside I don't think civilisation is about to end but there are going to have to be some corrections.

No, I've never understood the economics of buying cheap goods from third world nations particularly well either.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Kimmo said:

Australia's new encryption laws are driving people put their stuff on the cloud outside Australia.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisg said:

All doom and gloom aside I don't think civilisation is about to end but there are going to have to be some corrections.

That's a pretty rosy view IMO. How many decades have we been hearing about football fields per minute of forest being cleared? How long have the experts been screaming at us to wind back the carbon? We're on track for three degrees. How much insecticide is the biosphere soaking in? The food chain is on the brink of collapse, but what, farming is somehow going to cut it indefinitely, without pollinators or biodiversity? Not to mention the whole damn shemozzle being propped up by heavily subsidised fossil fuel... where's the infrastructure to replace that? Shouldn't we have been working on that for a decade or two by now? 

These neoliberal fuckwits have had us kicking way, way too many cans down the road for a long, long time. It might just be starting to turn around perhaps, but that's like three decades too late. And they're still all like, what can? There's nothing to see here, move along...

450?cb=20180705192003

Heh,

No argument from me but Gaia is a very resilient creature. Sadly I do think the human race needs substantial pruning, but I at the same time do not believe that we have achieved any permanent damage, that is species arrogance.

I very seriously doubt that the coronavirus scare is in any was the pruning but when people are a packed in as they are whilst still not being especially hygienic something is going to emerge to bite us.

The debate goes on for ever, we COULD easily dial down the population by a significant margin over a few generations but we just arean't wired that way, a majority of us want to reproduce.

Cheers

4 hours ago, chrisg said:

I at the same time do not believe that we have achieved any permanent damage, that is species arrogance.

Huh. I'd say hand-waving away the sixth great extinction event is pretty damn blase, if not even Pollyanna-ing. 

See...........no one ever mentions the population emergency.

Climate is the big smokescreen covering the real problem.

The population problem quickly gets buried because it's the advanced economies that have the slowing birthrate to almost ZPG level, and the basket-case shitholes that still pump out a soccer team per family.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

the microplastics will take care of fertility rates just fine, methinks

They even include them in body wash liquids these days and charge extra for the privelage!