scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

lol there's still citizenship shite going on ... apparently Josh's story is a bit murky still

17 minutes ago, eveln said:

lol there's still citizenship shite going on ... apparently Josh's story is a bit murky still

Hungarian Josh!

If they weren't blowing 2.5 bil on moving the Powerhouse Museum, they could have spent it on infrastructure....................like another tram that runs slower than you can walk!

11 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

If they weren't blowing 2.5 bil on moving the Powerhouse Museum, they could have spent it on infrastructure....................like another tram that runs slower than you can walk!

The thing is, they don't need to move the bloody museum and the new place where it was being moved to ... FLOODED

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

The thing is, they don't need to move the bloody museum and the new place where it was being moved to ... FLOODED

That old DJ's carpark always floods.

They reckon they are building above the 100 year floodline.

50 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

above the 100 year floodline

Is that the 100 year flood that now happens every decade, or the one that will be happening every year soon? 😜

20 minutes ago, Cybes said:

Is that the 100 year flood that now happens every decade, or the one that will be happening every year soon? 😜

I find it funny when they say it is a 100 year flood event and it seems a lot more frequently.

19 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

I find it funny when they say it is a 100 year flood event and it seems a lot more frequently.

time goes faster when you get older

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

time goes faster when you get older

Or more the 100 year levels haven't been updated for a while to reflect the reality of higher flooding probabilities.

17 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Tindal is getting ready for them new F35 planes ... when we get the bloody things

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-21/federal-government-spends-1.1-billion-on-top-end-air-base/11986904

🙂

They are coming, seven more recently turned up at Williamstown.

There "should" be one here for ARDU I guess, eventually.

However it seems most of those Tindal upgrades are more oriented towards being more capable of deploying tankers there and accepting US heavy bombers. Makes sense, Tindal is sufficiently removed from big population centres but close enough to allow rapid deployment into northern waters and to keep Indonesia honest 🙂

Cheers

2 hours ago, chrisg said:

They are coming

So is fusion. 😜

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

So is fusion. 😜

🙂

True, I think we might see the -35s a bit sooner 🙂

Perhaps more seriously I really am expecting some big announcements over fusion in the next two to three years. The feeling I have is that the hard work is almost done but given all the broken promises none of the researchers want to say much until they actually have something.  It has similarities to room temp. super conductors 🙂

Cheers

21 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

True, I think we might see the -35s a bit sooner 🙂

Perhaps more seriously I really am expecting some big announcements over fusion in the next two to three years. The feeling I have is that the hard work is almost done but given all the broken promises none of the researchers want to say much until they actually have something.  It has similarities to room temp. super conductors 🙂

Cheers

Those French submarines might arrive before the F35s too LOL

8 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Those French submarines might arrive before the F35s too LOL

🙂

That does seem a bit unlikely, especially as they have not even started them properly yet  🙂

Cheers

OT a little bit but related...

I was in traffic and there were obstructions to the view but I'm sure I saw some sort of AWACS/EW mid-sized jet type coming in to land at Canberra/Fairbairn a few days ago.

Might have been one of these

wedgetail1.jpg

Boeing E-7A Wedgetail

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rybags said:

OT a little bit but related...

I was in traffic and there were obstructions to the view but I'm sure I saw some sort of AWACS/EW mid-sized jet type coming in to land at Canberra/Fairbairn a few days ago.

Might have been one of these

wedgetail1.jpg

Boeing E-7A Wedgetail

Bloody impressive aircraft those.

Usually based at Williamstown, wonder why one would be in Canberra ?

Cheers

Unsure.  There's a whopping great marquis with chairs being setup in the middle of Anzac Parade, so maybe there's some event coming up.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Yes..........but if you learn about probability, it can occur two years in a row!

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

Unsure.  There's a whopping great marquis with chairs being setup in the middle of Anzac Parade, so maybe there's some event coming up.

Donald?

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

Bloody impressive aircraft those.

Usually based at Williamstown, wonder why one would be in Canberra ?

Cheers

What?

The Government bought something good?!

I think the aquisition intention for those dates back to the late 1990s and maybe earlier.

Had a look on the 'net but couldn't find anything describing what the Anzac Pde event will be.  Normally such things are setup within a few days of whatever's happening.  I'm fairly sure it was there early in the week also but only saw it from a distance.

10 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Yes..........but if you learn about probability, it can occur two years in a row!

Donald?

What?

The Government bought something good?!

The Wedgetail did have a rather difficult gestation, started out as an Australian RFP but has now been sold to other countries.

It's sort of a mini AWACS but reportedly is just as capable as the older 707 based aircraft if not superior is some respects particularly surface search and ELINT.

They've been very effective over Iraq.

Not an aircraft that much is spoken about but it is a very effective force multiplier and will be even more effective when paired with our F-35s.

So yeah, Logic, just for once the government did make a good, integrated purchasing decision and actually initiated the project.

Still doesn't quite explain why there was one in Canberra, usually whilst based at Williamtown they operate out of Tindal.

A fly past for the Anzac Day parade is a possibility I guess although in the air apart from the antenna it just looks like a 737 🙂 Rather early to be deployed as well but we do have six of them so basing one in Canberra for a while might not be silly.

Cheers

Anzac Day still over 2 months away, generally they only get stuff ready in the week leading up.

I've tried to think is it some special anniversary coming up - it is 75 years since the end of WW2 but I can't remember much happening at this time of year except the final round of island hopping in the Pacific.