Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
scruffy1

how crap is this government ?

2 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

I used to work for a Union.............it was a long time ago.

The problem is keeping the membership numbers up.

If you are not seen to be doing something, some members just let their membership lapse and then you are spiraling down the plughole.

Members really should think of it like insurance.

Yeah but it's hard to support them in their current form too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually, if one person has like three jobs ... then they can get JobKeeper for 1 job only.

That might explain lower numbers too.

They've been trying to get rid of Target for near a decade.

Finally saw the opportunity!

Needless duplication in lots of cases.   Of the about 6 around here at least half are real close to a KMart.

And much of what they have it crap anyway.  The real pity is Harris Scarfe since most of what they sell is pretty decent stuff.

• Like 1

Yeah saw that .... for me personally, I can walk into our local Target store without being accosted with the smell given off by carrying nothing but cheap synthetics what ever they be, yet.

Our closest Kmart is too far  for a quick trip ( thankfully ) but when I last did attempt to go in there I couldn't stay in. It's like what happened to Rivers up here. At the end, walking into that shop was a health risk for me.

Cheap synthetics that break down literally before your eyes and smell like toxic shite is just evil, imo.

2 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Harris Scarfe

There's a name I haven't heard in years ... they had a buisness for decades in Cairns ... I bought some really great heavy ply cotton sheets from them ... actually they custom made them, and I Still have them

I don't shop much at KMart or Target. Everything I buy breaks pretty much ...

I got my clothes from Ed Harry, that stuff lasted - except they closed.

My newer stuff is from Connor Clothing.

I remember when the local KMart...

used to have a restaurant in the middle of the store.

used to sell guns and ammo.

had an Atari 2600 in one of those arcade type playable displays - used to go there almost every Friday night.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

I don't shop much at KMart or Target.

Never for me at Kmart. Like I said too toxic and too far * phew* ... but we have a country style Target here. It doesn't carry everything you need, but it has supplied some things that are still going strong ... like our woollen doona . I think this is the third or fourth year

and it went on the bed the other day  ... just tooo comfy !

Geez Kmart sold guns and ammo !  that just sounds weird to read

Edited by eveln

Government and employers are in a tizzy over this ruling!

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/personal-finance/australian-casual-workers-to-receive-massive-payday-after-landmark-court-ruling-c-1050346

Australia’s casual workforce is set for a massive payday after a landmark court decision ruled they are now entitled to paid leave – a move that has exposed employers to backpay claims worth $8 billion.

• Like 1

^^ great timing hey ... not

4 hours ago, eveln said:

^^ great timing hey ... not

Yeah..............double dipping if I ever saw it.

10 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I often wonder if unions realise they are pricing their workers out of the market so they end up with less money in the long run when their employers disappear. Always after the short term wins. I like the idea of unions far more than what unions have become. 

There's no middle ground, tho'.  Plenty of companies will be structured to look like they're barely making a profit, just so they can suppress employee wages.

6 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Yeah but it's hard to support them in their current form too.

I mean it depends on the union - they're only ever as strong as their members and how engaged they are - but what specifically is it about 'their' current form that you don't like?

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

I remember when the local KMart...

used to have a restaurant in the middle of the store.

used to sell guns and ammo.

had an Atari 2600 in one of those arcade type playable displays - used to go there almost every Friday night.

That was probably back when I was last a regular customer of KMart, too.  Drag the parents in, run past the ammo section, to go see what the latest 2600 games were, and what was on sale.

4 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Government and employers are in a tizzy over this ruling!

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/personal-finance/australian-casual-workers-to-receive-massive-payday-after-landmark-court-ruling-c-1050346

Australia’s casual workforce is set for a massive payday after a landmark court decision ruled they are now entitled to paid leave – a move that has exposed employers to backpay claims worth $8 billion.

It'll be interesting to see the nuts and bolts of the ruling, but I'm mostly of the opinion that this is 'good'.  Teach companies to treat their staff like shit and abuse what they can get away with, witht he books full of permanent casuals. 

I actually wonder how different this will be from the last similar ruling, a few years back, that was roundly ignored.

32 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Yeah..............double dipping if I ever saw it.

Oh I was never a fan of permanent casual workforce. It's just that trying to fix things at this moment in time is like the poorest of timing. I suppose the payment of back pay  could be put off till the business shows a profit or three after this shitefest ...

The type of business that employs casuals is the least equipped to be able to accomodate such a payout at the moment.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rybags said:

The type of business that employs casuals is the least equipped to be able to accomodate such a payout at the moment.

Precisely what I was thinking

You get a loading for being hired as a casual.........25% on top of the award in this case............this is in lieu of holidays and sick pay.

Now they award holidays and sick pay on top of this?

Dickhead judges should have ruled that after a year of casual (if you are working 38/40 hour week or more) you become a full time employee and adjust payments  to suit.

• Like 1

What maybe was happening was some employers were fudging the pay rate so when the casual loading was applied, it was back to original rate with loading applied.

I'll post again..............just because I can!

Dickhead judges are beholden to the law..............just like lawyers are.........common sense and society don't matter.......and that would be fine because our elected Parliaments make the law.

But every now and then they want to make the law by interpreting legislation in ways that suit their whacky point of view.

1 minute ago, Jeruselem said:

What maybe was happening was some employers were fudging the pay rate so when the casual loading was applied, it was back to original rate with loading applied.

It has to do with the Labour Hire tax rorts and circumventing agreements.

Isn't that the actual issue, employer and private sector labour rorts are OK and left alone - but then if the employees get an unexpected win, OH NO ITS BAD.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Isn't that the actual issue, employer and private sector labour rorts are OK and left alone - but then if the employees get an unexpected win, OH NO ITS BAD.

Any Government of the last 30 years could have done something about it but clearly haven't bothered because of donations or other agendas.

This is just really bad timing because a lot of companies are going to fold or restructure in this climate................and the ruling doesn't make sense to boot!

(I haven't read the documents......only the news)

Target came to have a bigger and bigger problem of not being Myer or DJs whilst KMart became more and more akin to it.

Used to be I'd always shop Target, often Myer, DJ for special stuff but nowadays I shop KMart a lot.

I miss Harris Scarfe as well, bought some great stuff there over the years.

Cheers

i was employed by a private hospital as a casual for probably a decade before they eventually succumbed to my request to become permanent part-time, even though the local law suggests that if you are >2 years employed on regular hours that are predetermined by the employer then you aren't "casual"; my pressure to do so was when i found that despite getting superannuation as part of my wage, the bit i had allotted to get disability insurance was denied to me when i broke my foot and needed some months off, because according to the super fund i wasn't entitled to insurance unless i was part-time

fwiw, they had to reimburse all my insurance premiums, so it was probably revenue neutral in the short term

importantly, when the hospital accepted i was actually demonstrably a part-time employee, they tried to shave my hourly rate for the reasons people are put out by the recent ruling - "casuals get a loading which compensates them for lack of leave, etc"

except they didn't - my hourly rate was exactly the same as their "regular" employee but without all those benefits; my response was to tell them i expected to be paid the same as the other worker (of similar qualification), or i would reconsider my employment

if i had been hard arse i should have demanded back pay of the alleged "25%" compensation that casuals (are meant to) receive, which should have equalled about 2.5 years' pay - they relented, as i was still cheap at the price for my skill level

the rule is that if you can screw employees by defining their employment as whatever works best for the employer, many employers have no qualms in using their own definition

even now though i work as a sole  trader, it would probably be arguable that i am actually an employee by some definitions, but in my opinion if i am amenable to work independently because i believe the agreement is essentially fair, the law shouldn't force me to undertake a different arrangement

but it needs to be a negotiated arrangement, not a single-sided "decree"

• Like 1

I'm a sole trader as well and you may well know that in the 'Covid emergency' that if we were 'Companies' we would have got 10k straight up!

Funny how a lot of sole traders are 'Essential Services'!

I'd not put KMart of Big W in the same league as Myer and DJs.

Though the latter two are just overpriced in most cases and the irony is that when the group was Myer/Coles/KMart/Target you could in theory pay vastly different amounts in each chain for the exact same thing that probably lived in a shared warehouse.

No, that's the problem with Target it is not either.

Cheers