AccessDenied

It's been nearly a year.. D&D NEXT enrol within

* UPDATE ON PAGE 4 ABOUT HALF WAY DOWN* Still potentially room for 1 more if someone speaks up.

OK. So, I got my grubby mitts on the D&D Next starter kit. This is not the full blown release. This is like the "Sample pack". It's got a full adventure (Lvls 1 - 5). It's got pre-gen'd characters (I'll get to this in a moment). It's got basic rules.

Now, I'm looking for 5 players.

I'm going to throw 'experience out the window' in this one. It's open to all. So apply here. If you can give a quick "Days/times available + reason for wanting to play" I'll then choose players from that pool (Provided it's a pool and not a puddle. :P Losers can't be choosers sometimes).

I will request that people have their own dice. (Online rollers are available if you want to go that route).
I'm open to suggestions on how we 'chat' for the game. (Voice chat only. Typing is a pain in the arse. Been there, done that, never again)
The game will be 'narrative'. So no maps/minatures etc.
It will be honour based. I won't track your spells or hitpoints. That's up to you. But you only cheat yourself if you cheat.

The basic rules are available for download for free from WOTC. (It's a bit of a 'first ones free kid'. Premium content costs extra). I'm only going to allow "Freebie content" in this game. If you get your hands on a Players Handbook, you can't play warlock because it's Premium. Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue. Basic races. Basic starting rules. EDIT: http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files...iendly%29_0.pdf

I tend to favour "Rules as Written" but GM's decision is final. Sometimes "Intent of Rules" overrides.

I am not a malicious DM. I will tend to favour giving a chance rather than kill outright. But it will tend to be only 1 chance. If you blow it with a silly decision, roll a new character.

I am not a serious Role Player. If you want to Meta the entire game, go for it. If you want to be in character, go for it. But I do apply rules. eg. If you all brainstorm an idea which is quite brilliant, I might get the character with the highest intelligence roll a D20 to make a check against intelligence. If they fail, the character doesn't think of it and the party is barred from doing it. If they succeed, BAM. Go for it. Obvious ideas get low DC. Complex convoluted ideas with extra meta will have a high DC.

AD
-edited with link to basic rules-

Edited by AccessDenied

Maybe interested. I have only two classes a week this term - so it'd sort of depend on how long you think it will go for.

The last P&P RPG I played was a single game of L5R.

What ruleset would this be, 5?

Yes. D&D 5. Latest incarnation. Players Handbook not released yet. But Starter kit is.

I'm going to be flexible on timings. It'll have to be evening during week. (Pretty much any night). Saturdays (preferrably evening). NO SUNDAYS!

Friday and Saturday sessions can run later.

Otherwise, it will tend to be an 8pm - 11pm session. (AEST or AEDST depending on time of year), but don't be surprised if I don't start the game til 8:30pm.

AD

If it's not starting til 8/later, then any night of the week works for me, I should be home from classes by 7:30-8 at the latest.

Moreso worried if it stretches out for too many months I will end up overseas again and then I'll be asleep for AEST nights.

I've been advised that it's about 12 hrs of sessions to finish the module. +/- a few hours of course.

I try to do weekly.

Thus, it should be 1 - 2 months from 'session 1'.

AD

I played a little of 5 already, thanks to a mate of mine who got in on the first playtests. I expect it's changed since then - there were some unsmooth bits. ;P

I'd be in for this too, but given the house layout, using a headset in the evening would not earn me any friends irl.

Did you play with the Atomic group (me gm'ing) for the playtest? I ran about 1/2 dozen playtests of D&D Next with Atomicans.

Brain fart. I could look it up.

Yeah..

However, reading the rules, they are significantly different to the initial first 4 - 5 months of playtest.

Ad

Did you play with the Atomic group (me gm'ing) for the playtest? I ran about 1/2 dozen playtests of D&D Next with Atomicans.

Nah, it was a mate of mine in ADL. We've been playing various systems in various groups since the early '90s.

12 hours is doable for me.

Heh - choose the right day, and I could probably manage 12 hours in the one session. ;) Done it before irl.

It's just tricky atm to juggle my sleeping with everyone else's, and fit it around disturbing the rest of the house.

The people I know who would maybe want to be in on this are travelling/in wrong timezones/are already running campaigns :

Hmm, depending on the day/time (and the possibility of being allowed to PK Nich) I could be interested.

Though I have nfi what I did with my dice after 4th ed came out...

Ihsan, you can use online dicerollers if that is what you need. I'll provide links.

Nich: I want to provide something suitable for all, and I hope it includes you and your time. Right now, you're the most vocal and most willing (Sucker?) and as such, I'd be more flexible for you.

I'd love to get a variety of experience in this. Newbies + old timers wanting to try the new system.

AD

Noooooooooo. My d20 must be placed in a freezer 20 side up before a game. Do not question these things. I'm sure they're in a box with miniatures somewhere, I'd just have to look.

Noooooooooo. My d20 must be placed in a freezer 20 side up before a game. Do not question these things.

Freezing is ok, but if you microwave or oven them, I'm going to have to hurt you. ;P

Assuming we can get people and days sorted, we so far have Ihsan and Nich. (And if Cybes can talk really quietly. :P But unless I get a definite yes, I won't include you yet Cybes).

The timing will be based on Eastern Australia. Approx 8:30pm - 10:30pm. Any night except Sundays.

Minimum players is 4 players + me. I can fudge numbers enough to account for shortfalls. But I want to be able to have fighter, cleric, wizard and rogue in party. 5 players is what the adventure was written for, but I can wing that figure.

AD

I'd be in for Mondays I think....

tuesday i go out with mates.

Wednesday is late night coffee

Thursday is late night shopping.

Friday is car meet and cruise.

Saturday\sunday is my weekend :P

The timing will be based on Eastern Australia. Approx 8:30pm - 10:30pm. Any night except Sundays.

That time of day I'm firmly asleep atm. Currently waking around 1am, and working on about 17 hours awake.

Yes, I know that's fucked up.

Ihsan/Nich: Is Monday nights a good night?

How about you Cybes? (And you replied whilst I was typing.. Never mind) I don't want to mess you up with this.

With MS and Cybes we have enough to get started if the night Monday 8:30 - 10:30pm is ok.

The general rule I've been given is 15hrs of gameplay for this starter module.

AD

Edited by AccessDenied

Monday night is (at this point) fine for me, I don't have classes until midday Tuesday.

How long would it take you to cycle to being awake of a mid-late evening, Cybes?

Crickets chirp.

Love to run this.

Love Atomicans.. Love me???

AD

I'd love to try it but not sure if I'd have the time, if Monday night for two hours was definite I would probably be able to swing it.

Prick-tease... :P

I'd prefer definites.. I'm trying for "complete the starter kit" (Go ahead and buy it if you want to!)

That's my goal here. I want to complete "The Mines". Approx 15 hrs gameplay. +/- something.

I'm flexible, but I don't want to deal with " can't do this week. Can't do this week.. Can do.. Can't do. Can do"

1 off "Can't do" That's life... It happens.

AD

Monday night two hours for 6 weeks I can almost definitely commit to.

Disclaimer

I have slightly more than zero knowledge about D & D and I do mean slightly. I do however have two TS3 servers I'm and admin of so can do voice comms pretty easily.

0 knowledge is fine, and actually, I am hoping for.

It's a test of a DM! I'm trying to be a better DM.. I'd love to try and help you guide you through this.

Cybes: How is 8:30 - 10:30pm? Would this be "Roommates would kill me?" territory?

Everyone else?

Ihsan, Nich, Reaperman.

Can we do this on Monday? I'm trying to push this because it's how I get things done at work...

If I don't hear back by say this time tomorrow night, I'll message you.

After that, we'll get some emailing going on.

Otherwise, I've looked at the module again. The way I'll work this is "playing one character" (Captain Cardboard). I can handle one player character without it being odd.

AD