Sign in to follow this  
AccessDenied

Rosetta touching down

Been one heck of a ride to get there.

Given how long ago the launch was I really do hope the landing is a success, there was more than enough drama back in April waking the mother craft up from being in the deep freeze.

Cheers

How this has barely gotten a mention in the news is beyond me. How is landing a spacecraft on a comet not a major news story? Too uplifting I suppose. Better just keep pumping out death and dismay.

:)

MTV generation dis, pretty difficult to hold the attention for a decade whilst a spacecraft plays some pretty amazing moves out sling-shotting to this point. Just the thought of the math makes my head ache :)

It was one of the top stories on New.com.au this morning, slipped to Science now.

Cheers

And that's it for tonight.

It is confirmed that it's AT the comet, but not landed.

The thrusted burn bringing it to the comment went perfectly.

Next comes the landing (Tomorrow)

AD

How this has barely gotten a mention in the news is beyond me. How is landing a spacecraft on a comet not a major news story? Too uplifting I suppose. Better just keep pumping out death and dismay.

I swear, the priorities of the media and their endless pandering to the lowest common denominator... If we were contacted by intelligent ET life tomorrow, I fully expect to hear the 'news' report it as a five-second spot, just after the football scores and before the weather. :P

Fake. You can tell by the way the shadows are and because there's no wind.

Totally fake!, They didn't even put any stars in the background, how stupid do they think we are!

It could be that because its ESA not NASA that our particular bunch of media owners don't see it as being worth promoting other than some basic fact reporting.

It does seem to me that if NASA even farts, The Packers and Murdochs et'al like to make a song and dance about it.

But yay brilliant work, I have come to think that life happens wherever and whenever it can, maybe I am wrong but that's the impression that I get.

The finding of organic material, would be significant in widening the possibility that life is elsewhere in the Universe.

Imagine if they found DNA in the ice, Judas H Priest the bible thumpers, will have to work overtime putting that Genie back in the bottle.

It could be that because its ESA not NASA that our particular bunch of media owners don't see it as being worth promoting other than some basic fact reporting.

It does seem to me that if NASA even farts, The Packers and Murdochs et'al like to make a song and dance about it.

But yay brilliant work, I have come to think that life happens wherever and whenever it can, maybe I am wrong but that's the impression that I get.

The finding of organic material, would be significant in widening the possibility that life is elsewhere in the Universe.

Imagine if they found DNA in the ice, Judas H Priest the bible thumpers, will have to work overtime putting that Genie back in the bottle.

Nah, god must have placed the DNA there to test our faith. :P

(The bonus feature of infallible claims is that you can assert whatever you like!)

We've already found extraterrestrial organic material, Titan has vast lakes of liquid hydrocarbons.

We've already found extraterrestrial organic material, Titan has vast lakes of liquid hydrocarbons.

Now now we don't have proof that it is hydrocarbons on Titan, we have rainbows (planetary spectroscopy) that indicate hydrocarbons but no actual samples, wink wink, we know that Bible Thumpers demand empirical evidence to the umpteenth degree for any thing science claims, while they being a belief system just have to believe something a bronze age tome says for it to be true, yes faith exempts them from proof.

Besides which, hydrocarbons might be "organic" chemistry, but they're not necessarily made by life. Nor do they have a genetic code.