Sign in to follow this  
jdee71

SSD caching

Hi all

I'm due for a format and reinstall which I would like to setup a cache drive. I've got a spare SSD drive (A-Ram Ultra II 60gig) laying around that I can use.

Here's my dilemma. I can't seem to find any info regarding speed increase/decrease if I was using a slower speed SSD for the cache (285mb/s) versus cached OS drive (540mb/s). I was thinking of going enhanced mode over maximized.

Would I still see a speed increase using the A-Ram??

Is it worth it?

Thx in advance

JD

whats the drive you are trying to cache? if its a hdd it will be a improvement if your trying to cache another ssd dont

Somewhat pointless I would think. Generally the OS R/W Ram-based caching is fairly effective anyway. Highly questionable in any case using a slower device as cache for a faster one.

Might be more benefit using it for often accessed programs or paging file (not that systems with huge amounts of Ram need much help there).

stick a few games on the old ssd that dont fit on the primary if you want otherwise use it in another pc

using it as a cache will just make things slower

I'm going to install it in my netbook, forgot I had that in my flight box. I use it to program / do tweaks to my quads flight controller on the field. Better option I think.