Sign in to follow this  
justin105

Gigabyte H97N-WIFi

I just got H97N-WIFI mobo for my mini atx machine. I'm having an issue getting into Bios.

I originally had one board which was doing the same thing. Me thinking it was an issue with the mobo took it back and they gave me a new one. The new one still does same tthing.

I have tried reflashing bios With new firmware still no luck.

The problem I'm facing is that when pressing or holding down delete through post it goes to a screen that's just black with a mouse cursor. Have tried everything from taking put cmos battery, shorting clr cmos prongs. Also taken out memory and reseating cpu. Does anyone have any ideas? Or faced this problem. Please let me know.

Do you have multiple video card to monitor connections? If so, try with only one.

Do you have multiple video card to monitor connections? If so, try with only one.

Ok. I get back home on Sunday. But I have always had it plugged into my 6970 card. I'll try onboard one. I have tried onboard one but have always had the 6970 plugged in still. I'll try disconnect 6970 and just go with onboard graphics.

OS works fine no issues runs somoothly. But just getting into Bios is the issue.

Is it USB or PS2 keyboard? Sometimes there can be issues with USB kbs.

Try just pressing DEL instead of holding it. Multiple times is OK. Also double-check that it uses DEL, and not F1 or something else.

Also, some config changes will send you to the BIOS menu... IIRC my Gigabyte board will send you to the BIOS menu if you change the Ram amount.

Edited by Rybags

Is it USB or PS2 keyboard? Sometimes there can be issues with USB kbs.

Try just pressing DEL instead of holding it. Multiple times is OK. Also double-check that it uses DEL, and not F1 or something else.

Also, some config changes will send you to the BIOS menu... IIRC my Gigabyte board will send you to the BIOS menu if you change the Ram amount.

It is usb. I have tried ps2 but computer doesn't recognise it. I think that is something you have to activate in bios. I have tried all delete buttons and everything else. The main screen comes up with logo of gigabyte saying press del for bios.

Very strange. First time this has ever happened.

Come on guys, this community is usually better than this. Look at the info we have.

Its a new motherboard, so UEFI.

It gets a mouse cursor, so the interface IS initialising.

This means the DEL key on the keyboard IS working.

So, what are we missing?

If I had to bet, I'd still put my money on hardware. the UEFI section id loading but not completing. Meaning its hanging on 'looking' at devices....

My usual go to, in this situation, is SATA devices. Namely, CDroms. But it could be anything.

What i'm getting at, is to try a bare bones approachm with mobo, CPU and RAM, and see if the UEFI loads. If it does, add a piece back, and repeat untill it does not, and you find the culprit.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Come on guys, this community is usually better than this. Look at the info we have.

Its a new motherboard, so UEFI.

It gets a mouse cursor, so the interface IS initialising.

This means the DEL key on the keyboard IS working.

So, what are we missing?

If I had to bet, I'd still put my money on hardware. the UEFI section id loading but not completing. Meaning its hanging on 'looking' at devices....

My usual go to, in this situation, is SATA devices. Namely, CDroms. But it could be anything.

What i'm getting at, is to try a bare bones approachm with mobo, CPU and RAM, and see if the UEFI loads. If it does, add a piece back, and repeat untill it does not, and you find the culprit.

I should of also mentioned everything I've tried. I've also taken everything off the motherboard. Had just my hard drive with OS installed and had the mobo sitting on a box with a 8 gb memory. Only had the Hdd as a sata connection and power to mobo. That's all I had plugged in really.

So to reiterate what I said before about taking the graphics card out and running it straight from motherboards onboard graphics. Yes I have tried this.

So bizzar. Really lost on this one. Two mobos same brand and model. Got no idea.

Unless there is an issue with the make of gigabyte mobo then there isn't anything else that could be wrong. I will try take out my hard drive as this is something I havnt tried.

So Master_Scythe you are right about graphics is loading. Fine. It's taking input from DEL key because of I don't press anything. OS will load fine. And computer will run smoothly. Just accessing bios is the issue.

8Gb of memory?

Windows 8 oer chance?

I ask because windows 8 is amazing at hiding memory defects. UEFI, not so much.

Can you boot a memtest live CD and see if your ram is all good?

Of course, start with just one stick.

Codecreeper, there is no BIOS, its a UEFI.

Edited by Master_Scythe

8Gb of memory?

Windows 8 oer chance?

I ask because windows 8 is amazing at hiding memory defects. UEFI, not so much.

Can you boot a memtest live CD and see if your ram is all good?

Of course, start with just one stick.

Codecreeper, there is no BIOS, its a UEFI.

If it has no bios and just a UEFI could the backup bios be interfering with the UEFI? Maybe windows8 is not really suitable for this board.

What backup BIOS?

Are you suggesting it has both?

I guess a few motherboards do support a legacy boot option; Ironically its set from within UEFI.

What backup BIOS?

I guess a few motherboards do support a legacy boot option; Ironically its set from within UEFI.

Sorry guys using Windows 7 64 bit ultimate.

What backup BIOS?

Sorry guys using Windows 7 64 bit ultimate.

Well back to bios then if its not UEFI supported.

What about a boot disc with UEFI on it and see if that helps.

Ok try this link -> Windows 7 UEFI install

Edited by codecreeper

Do you have any non essential addon cards installed?

I had this issue with 2 different motherboards (one Z77, and a H6x, my issue was a PCI SATA card, (the card worked, but loading into the UEFI bios took upwards of 5min, and only a partial load at best, each machine showed a different amount of the UEFI).

I had the same issue with this MB. Are you connecting to the screen via VGA/DVI or HDMI? I had the problem only when I connected via HDMI. I believe (but I didn't check enough to say for sure) that the problem also happened when I connected via the motherboard HDMI outputs (and not the discrete gfx card). So for me, the "solution" was to connect to a VGA display via the gfx card.

Hope this is useful.