Sign in to follow this  
Nich...

Root on Android

After I got my 2012 Nexus 7 just on two years ago, I set about unlocking the bootloader and rooting the device with SuperSU. I was an Android neophyte and that just seemed to be the thing to do.

I've finally had a lightbulb moment, where the reason I seem to have so many problems with installing OTA updates is that it's rooted.

The thing is, I don't remember why I need root anymore. I think Lux now gets by without it, and I can't think of anything else I use regularly that needs it. I think File Manager HD, and ES File Explorer, may both have extra options available when rooted, but I couldn't name them off the top of my head.

I'm going to try installing the 4.4.4 update to see if it helps, but I'm pretty sure it won't be long until I do a fresh factory image to try and speed things up and such: right now I can't do much else than read, or it seems to crash. Unlocked bootloader seems to be fine, but if root will keep giving me issues, I just won't do that on the new install.

I rooted and flashed so many different roms to my s2 it ended up not booting any more!

I didn't root my s3 or my current Xperia Z because I haven't had any reason.

I rooted my Nexus 7 2013 because I had a reason to.

If you haven't got a reason/need to root it, then there isn't really any point to rooting.

I also have the 2012 N7 - for a so-called "developer's tablet" it by default is anything but.

One big reason for needing root is mounting external drives via USB OTG - I've not allowed my system SW to update for some time so maybe things have changed but with previous releases at the least you can't take advantage of many OTG features without root.

Also, newer versions of SuperSU supposedly have features to tolerate system updates - whether they work or not, NFI.

Can understand people balking at unlock/root. The fact you lose your user data by simply unlocking the device is sufficient pain to make you think twice.

Edited by Rybags

I got an OTG cable to try with some external storage, but could never get it to work. I could never tell if I'd set the software up for it wrong, or it was one of those things where I had to order a dozen different cables to find one that worked.

Stickmount detects and mounts an OTG attached drive and gives a message to reflect mount/unmount.

Seems there's an app called "OTG Disk Explorer Pro" which allows reading external storage on unrooted devices. It's payfor but there's a free Lite (limited) version available.

I also have the 2012 N7 - for a so-called "developer's tablet" it by default is anything but.

They're not really developer devices any more. But they're popular with developers all the same. I'm not aware of any issues with the Nexus 7 that makes it a poor app dev device by default though. Anything outside pure app development isn't really Google's concern.

Rooting my devices has always been a headache and I've often questioned why I was doing it in the first place.

These days, I have no need for it so prefer to leave my devices stock cos they do everything I need them to do without needing root.