Mr.Twinkie

$300 to spend? How long do I wait?

So how's it looking now guys?

I noticed a 280X for 310 bucks at MSY... Go for it or wait for GTX 770 to drop further for greater value?

I do want a upgrade that can last a few years....

well gtx970 is here and its a good alternative to 290 with much lower power use and a similar price point but you would need to stretch to $419

but nothing else has really changed

gtx770 isnt as good as 280x imo due to less vram

My BF4 memory usage jumped from 1.8gb with my 2gb gtx760 to 3.4gb with my 4gb gtx 970. I use a mix of low/ultra as i don't like too much visual clutter or fx blocking my visual target acquisition. It's a bit of an elitist way of running the game but even with texture quality on low my 970 still get around 3.2-3.4gb of its vram used up.

Edited by Modz
  • Like 1

i7 860 would be fine with it

some games like arma the cpu will be the limit but in most the gtx970 will still be your limit especially if you oc the cpu

• Like 1

i7 860 would be fine with it

some games like arma the cpu will be the limit but in most the gtx970 will still be your limit especially if you oc the cpu

What if I don't wanna OC the CPU???

then there may be a few more games that dont reach that buttery smooth 60fps than there would be otherwise

• Like 2

Hmmm given how amazing I've been hearing about the GTX 970. Is it really a revolutionary architecture? And can it fit in an Antec 902 case (V1)?

The whole AMD vs Nividia debate is so confusing. People say ludicrous things on opposite ends but in the end it seems AMD is hotter and less quiet but offers better price/performance ratio with Nividia more well optimised for games and more quieter and power friendly.

Anyone care to give in some thought?

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

gtx970 is no faster than last gen its no revolution just good evolution as far as power use goes

its going up in price due to the au $

there is a chance amd will release a more powerful card but i wouldnt expect much to change with gtx970 price

To be honest, I expect no release from AMD until at least next year. If they were going to release, they should have done so already in order to make the most of the holiday sales. So far, there's nothing to be added here.

While I love the 970, I really interested in seeing what the new memory tech from AMD will be able to do. I'd wait the month just to see and maybe grab the after holiday deal?