Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

VPNs; who and why?

Hey guys, I'm wondering who uses a VPN and for what?

Is it purely to download your latest new 'linux ISO's from a distributed file network?

Do you surf over it?

Use it for Netflix?

The reason I'm wondering, is that I'm interested in a VPN since that stupid metadata thing was put through.

Not that I'm actually hiding anything. most of my net life is pretty mundane; its just the principals of it.

Then I got to thinking; 'Surely these VPN IP's are well known?' which made me wonder if everyone who's 'hiding behind one' is flagged as having something to hide?

If that were the case, I'd probably just rent a server in NZ and run my own VPN software; they're still STRONGLY opposing net filtering\tracking.

Whats your thoughts on all that jazz?

The only VPN I currently use is Hamachi, for some games that won't play nice with multiplayer.

Some friends are looking at hiring either a VPS to set up their own VPN on, or paying for a real server is random countries. I'm not sure I see the point at this stage.

They were a necessity while living in China. There was a regular cat and mouse game between VPN providers and the internet censors, with the need to shuffle IP addresses leading up to major political or historical events (Arab spring, Tienanmen Square anniversary etc.). IP addresses are not always well known, but the longer the provider uses them, the more likely they are to be discovered. This goes for American companies like Netflix as well. As a result, most VPNs shuffle their IP addresses regularly.

I went through a number of different companies, and found Astrill to be the best balance between features and value. VPN.S would be a close runner up, with the added benefit of being an Australian company.

A slow, but more secure alternative to a VPN would be the TOR network. It's simple to set up, and free to use.

TOR is only as secure as your exit node. And if you're going to try and research every exit node you connect to, you need less free time :P

I have an account with privateinternetaccess.com - $39.95 a year and no log files stored.

I use it primarily for accessing region blocked content and for security for my mobile devices when using a public access points.

I have an OpenVPN server at home which i use when i travel. When overseas my phone/Laptop ect. is always connected to the VPN whenever i have connectivity.

Otherwise i don't really use one anymore.

However I did use https://privatevpn.com/ when i was using a VPN because they have heaps of nodes around the world, are cheap and let me max out my 100Mb connection.

Edited by smakme7757

TOR is only as secure as your exit node.

yes, and no. it partly depends on if you are conflating security with privacy.

if the goal is to circumvent passive local surveillance, then the odd shady snooper at a foreign exit node is supremely unlikely to be interested in harvesting your very short-lived, very anonymous, mundane web browsing.

but in any case, i dont imagine MITM attacks on your SSL connections are particularly attractive or likely either.

Edited by @~thehung

For me, I use a VPN primarily for accessing stuff that's Geoblocked for Australians. For which I use PIA.

Less than $40 for the year, unlimited access and no logs kept. Perfect.

I've also got a DNS service called Unblock-US, which I use to watch Netflix on my Surface RT. Hasn't failed on me once. Costs about the same as PIA on a monthly basis, but it gets the job done :)

TOR is only as secure as your exit node. And if you're going to try and research every exit node you connect to, you need less free time :P

Tor is also slower than a wet week.