Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Nich...

Embedded images

Embedded images  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In v.3.0 of the forums, did you use the profile setting to hide embedded images?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you prefer to have gifs enabled?

• No
    • Yes

Just curious and all. We have lots of new features, but it seems we can no longer give users the option of electing to not view embedded images, which would have included gifs.

So if we keep gifs available*, there's no real way of unseeing them apart from using your browser to disable all images.

*subject to them not being abused

I'm about to turn GIF embedding back on, with the caveat that their use has to be within [ spoiler ] tags.

Edited by Nich...
Updates!
  • Like 2

Nich and I have been arguing about this all evening.

They are visually irritating and make it hard to process text when you are trying to read a thread. GIFs are the suxxor and should not be enabled at all. They are clutter and horrid.

No. Gifs.

That browser add-on crashes my window.

And no, it means I have to read the posts around it a half dozen times to work out what's going on in a thread. How sucky is that.

In a conversation gifs can lighten the mood or be succinct, so I've no objection to them being used like that.

In avartars and sigs, not such a fan. I reckon they'd be hugely distracting to any thread, used like that.

... also I don't block the ads ( as much as I detest them ) so I see no reason to block gifs.

• Like 1

We can't be that granular SS.

It's fairly simple. Conform to standards of accessibility and useability - disallow gifs. Don't take accessibility into account and allow gifs.

Why do you think there was such a fuss when those animated ads were at the top of the site? They looked like crap, but brought in revenue except that people turned to adblockers to get rid of them - so they didn't.

Animated gifs are the same. Except you can't easily turn them off. So people are stuck and forced to watch crap loop when they are trying to read a thread.

They stay off.

We can't be that granular SS.

It's fairly simple. Conform to standards of accessibility and useability - disallow gifs. Don't take accessibility into account and allow gifs.

Why do you think there was such a fuss when those animated ads were at the top of the site? They looked like crap, but brought in revenue except that people turned to adblockers to get rid of them - so they didn't.

Animated gifs are the same. Except you can't easily turn them off. So people are stuck and forced to watch crap loop when they are trying to read a thread.

They stay off.

... but but you said yourself that if something like the " gif scrubber " was used ... " means I have to read the posts around it a half dozen times to work out what's

going on in a thread. How sucky is that."

Won't you be missing something from the thread if you don't bother to click on them anyway ?

You only have to focus on the gif as you read through the post. Not everyone < me puts hand up here > will be bothered to use gifs surely. Well, maybe like the

" like" button it may get a little silly at first, but evenually it would settle ... hopefully before anyone goes toooo loopy :D

• Like 1

She dont like gifs so noone can have them.

So quaint why did you bother with the new softwhere, if one mods opinion of what functions to have, are going to make it as dysfunctional as the old one.

Should have saved your money.

Chaos.Lady Did you just disable gifs just cause you dont like them. I tried to post one and was told that extension is not allowed in this community ?

I suspect its down to plain old penny pinching, same as the host offsite stuff is, cant afford the few pence it cost to serve up some media in the posts.

Edited by Waltish

2c : GIFs tend to be vastly overused and very irritating - however, as Nich said they can be a "much more succinct way of expressing [oneself]". It would be nice to be able to trust that people won't overuse them, but they will, even if they don't mean to - there are a lot of people who have no idea how to trim their quotes, and each one is going to carry a copy of the damned things. What would be nice is for animations to stop/start when clicked, so you could view it when you want to, but not have the whole page crawling by default. (Yes, there are plugins, and Opera used to be able to have that setting on a checkbox, but that isn't the point.)

Until such a thing is possible and implemented, however, I'm in favour of disallowing them.

This shit is just so arbitrary, why pretend to discuss it, you go against the poll (which has not been up vary long) then ingnore what people say.

This is not the Atomic forums, this is the Kingdom of chaos lady.

Was just slowly getting back into posting here again, oh looks like I need to rip van winkle for a bit longer.

PS: so what if some folks post a few too many big "f"ing deal, they can be warned if that fails then banned for a bit and if it keeps up permabanned, just like other forum abuses are dealt with.

I call shennanigans on the thread, a fake discussion to cover for at worst an arbitrary decision by the Goddess of Atomic who just wants it how she wants it, or at best a cover for penny pinching.

Edited by Waltish

It's not penny pinching, and I for one will be looking at this closely. If enough folks want it, and we want folks to be comfortable, I'll give it some thought. But at the same time, if enough folks don't - regardless of who wins - I still need to think of that.

And at the end of the day, the decision rests with me, not Chaos, so you can lay off that right now :)

Why do you think there was such a fuss when those animated ads were at the top of the site?

Was it because they made my browser run like shit because of terrible flash coding?

This shit is just so arbitrary, why pretend to discuss it, you go against the poll (which has not been up vary long) then ingnore what people say.

This is not the Atomic forums, this is the Kingdom of chaos lady.

Was just slowly getting back into posting here again, oh looks like I need to rip van winkle for a bit longer.

PS: so what if some folks post a few too many big "f"ing deal, they can be warned if that fails then banned for a bit and if it keeps up permabanned, just like other forum abuses are dealt with.

I call shennanigans on the thread, a fake discussion to cover for at worst an arbitrary decision by the Goddess of Atomic who just wants it how she wants it, or at best a cover for penny pinching.

a) speaking of arbitrary and warnings, I'll be warning people against readability issues with colours in signatures soon.

b) speaking of readability, that's what the focus of this is: is the feature worth some peoples brains bugging out? There's no easy answer, hence asking what the community wants. The accusations don't really help.

We're currently unable to let users filter them out within the forum. If you can find an IPB hook that lets that work again, or just makes gifs default to static until clicked, then let us know.

a) speaking of arbitrary and warnings, I'll be warning people against readability issues with colours in signatures soon.

I used the colours in mine to enhance readability. I thought that was subtle enough not to be a problem, but I can remove formatting easily enough..?

Instead of warning people, make a style guide of what is acceptable colours.

A style guide is cool, but I don't want to have to tell people what colours and fonts and sizes are and aren't acceptable in a big prescriptive list. If nothing else, I'm not a designer.

I'd rather some general guidelines and we refine them as we go/as needed.

The emphasis is probably on elegance and subtlety - draw the eye or make things a bit easier to read, but not stand out like dogs balls. Signatures allow a bit of personalisation, but they're the flourish on the post, not the main point of your entry in a thread.

Anyway, people can play around and see how things work for now. It's why there's no thread up as of yet; I'm just dropping hints for some of the more obvious things. When it becomes serious business, it'll probably get added to the FAQ with other etiquette stuff.

Cybes: not heard any complaints about yours yet.