hulkster

to update or not.

:)

I've a long term customer who as much as anything for abuse of hardware and tax reasons buys a new build from me every three years like clockwork. When he does he just leaves the old machine with me to scavenge whatever.

His last swap was in February, he's absolutely wrapt in the new machine, built him an ITX this time, smaller footprint, thing flies. He did remark that over the years his cost per swap has more or less halved, which is true, whilst his performance and storage space has probably quadrupled. He always asks for just off bleeding edge but not concerned over graphics, not being a gamer. It's pretty easy to build one nice machine for what is essentially a business role and see those sort of savings and performance jump on that cycle.

His last machine that he left with me was still one nice piece of kit but needed a bloody good clean up, physical.

A mutual friend who's been struggling a bit has been the beneficiary this time, cleaned it up, copied data off his ridiculously old unit and gave it to him as a surprise.

I won't need artificial lighting for a few days, his smile is still echoing around the place :)

Nice if you can afford or justify doing it, the first person is a bit of a tech-head but with no capability for a build himself, he just likes to have the latest and sexiest.

He's been getting a kick out of showing off his new little power-house, I really do like ITX for people who have modest needs, especially those with antiquated laptops that die, as their eyes have also faded and when you ask ther lappie has never been off 240v :)

Cheers

For my home PC I try and work on approximately 5 year major upgrade cycles.

The good thing (and main reason for the long cycle) is only rebuilding the OS and tools that often - the down side, is buying a PC with a 5 year life when you do photo and video editing can cost the GDP of a small island nation to do so.

Laptop purchases have tend to be more random as my use of them has altered between portable netbook and more powerful ones, but I'm hoping my new ultrabook will last 5 years.

I am with stadl but I also upgrade when needed. I say, upgrade but its more replacing parts that have died or whatever, and I'm constantly adding stuff to it too on an irregular basis. This is with regards to my home desktop PC which is where I do most of my computing. My current desktop is as per my sig but the previous iteration, based on an Intel E6600, lasted just under 6 years, again upgrading and replacing as need. That is, however, I think, the way of the desktop, the ability to upgrade and replace whereas, IMO, laptop computing tends to lock you in depending on the design. You might be able to upgrade or replace HDD or RAM on a laptop but thats pretty much it.

My next PC will be a small iTX build, performance is not as important to me now as the look and sound of it.

Next build will be easy, I'll get the next generation Intel system Core i5 with no overclocking, slap in 2 fast 8GB RAM modules, use a single SSD with other data held in a NAS box, use a Blu-Ray drive and it will be the graphics card I'd have to think about.

• Like 1

i like to buy 2nd hand stuff from the people on ocau that can't tolerate not owning the bleeding edge

consequently, i have an i5-2500k doing 4.2 undervolted, but i confess i bought a hd7950 new because i like to game occasionally; ssd makes everything fast - the rest of the household have ivybridge celerons and small ssd's because it's plenty for them

just upgraded the server to a qnap ts212p from the ts 109p i have had forever, because it was losing traction fro streaming video, and didn't have a workable torrent option

my eeepc was given to a friend of the wife, and i now adore an asus transformer tf300t that speaks to my stereo via bluetooth (having seriously upgraded the speakers and amp for the first time since probably 2 decades); the fact that it's my first tablet as well is really appealing, but it is already old-ish technology

my view is if it works fine and i enjoy it, why would i need a new one - upgrading just because you can is for people who don't stop to think about why they feel compelled

Edited by scruffy1