hulkster

to update or not.

Once upon a time I would of been the first to update my tech gear. Video cars every 12 months, CPU's M/b Ram, always wanted the latest and greatest. Same with TV's, ipad, phones.

But in the last 2 years I dread it. Too many options and to be honest probably no reason to except for the "just because I can" factor.

I don't have a home PC anymore, just a laptop. But it's 2 years old and it's working fine. I have no reason to upgrade it but I feel I should because it's "old".

So I am not going to. I am going to use it till it dies, or cant perform the tasks I need it to.

Do you upgrade at certain time frames or just when something breaks?

Mostly as needed. Only got a second laptop because my previous one had stopped working. New(er) video card because the last one was used as a replacement part in the wife's PC.

New HDDs when storage runs out, and new monitor despite second one still working fine, are maybe a different kind of justification.

But this is the longest (somewhere around 5 years) I've probably had a single PC since the late 80s/early 90s without building a new one.

Once I lost interest in building and overlocking, I started with a 3 year schedule based primarily on tax incentives, and to a lessor extent, the expected lifetime of a mechanical hard drive. Now that everything is solid state, I'm not sure when my next upgrade will be. There's not the same pressure on performance that there once was. My laptop from 2011 did everything my new one does just as well, and I wouldn't have upgraded if it hadn't been replaced under statutory warranty.

For my home PC I try and work on approximately 5 year major upgrade cycles.

The good thing (and main reason for the long cycle) is only rebuilding the OS and tools that often - the down side, is buying a PC with a 5 year life when you do photo and video editing can cost the GDP of a small island nation to do so.

Laptop purchases have tend to be more random as my use of them has altered between portable netbook and more powerful ones, but I'm hoping my new ultrabook will last 5 years.

I upgrade when needed, and then it's everything bar the peripherals rather than just one or two components at a time.

Even then 'as needed' means that when I can't run games at my monitors native resolution so I get a few years as the presets go Ultra->High->Medium->Low.

As I live on my own, upgrading takes a very big bite out of my finances. I can't do it in one hit and I can't do it without careful planning. That said my faithful 2011-built rig is still handling all but the most demanding games smoothl.

I will need to be upgrading my rig soon for the next round of PC games. My PS4 is doing the trick for now but eventually I want to play most things on my PC if at all possible.

Edited by aquilus

Pretty much the same as most people here I would say.

My PC upgrades previously revolved around performance for gaming. Lately, I have found that with SSD drives, a reasonably powerful CPU purchased some time ago and a video card that seems to be holding up fine, I have no need to upgrade like I used to.

Most of my time is spent on my Macbook Pro for work. I only purchased it 2 years ago and while I have upgraded the internal SSD with an aftermarket one as I was running out of space, it's holding up just fine. I can't really conceive of a reason I would want to upgrade it either.

The only thing I upgrade often is my phone. Other than that, I replace what needs to be replaced. My current PC is on its sixth year and has had its fans and memory upgraded, and an SSD added. The only thing it really needs is a new GPU. Or I can buy a console.

Used to like every year or two, now not so much. Back in the day you kinda needed to upgrade to play the latest game but I don;t find that to be the case anymore. Having said that I recently upgraded the main rig from a 6 year old or so Q6600 to an i54690 with 16gb ram. Kept the SSD and the GPU and it's quite a good upgrade. Hopefully will do for another 6 years. :)

Needs based upgrader..

I've gone for about 5 yrs on current PC. Only the Graphics card has been updated.

It's due for replacement soon. It's starting to get the overheats if you play D3 in the summer.

Maybe next year.

AD

I upgrade when I need to. Mainly that's larger HDDs when the storage runs low. I built a beast of a machine a year or so ago, so I don't think I will need to be updating that machine for a while, but once I start noticing that it's slowing down, I will upgrade whatever is needed to keep it running quickly. Or I may just wait until it's really slow and then will build a new machine.

Phones are upgraded every 2 years.

Mortgages have made tech drop in the priority list. I don't update anything until it's necessary now. I'm even still using the same HTC Desire I've had for over three years.

I hadn't owned a desktop for about five years until recently when I inherited a real beast of a machine (i7, 8GB, SSD, 4TB of HDD, Radeon 7900). Ofcourse it is essentially just being used as a Minecraft machine for my son, and for video and music stuff when I get the time.

Current laptop is only a year old, so it's a way off upgrading, though I'm inching to upgrade my phone. Soon.

I was saying the other day that I had a moment recently when I couldn't remember how much RAM I had. Couple years ago I could have told you the serial number of each stick.

Do need biggar hard drives though. Maybe next month.

I upgrade when i need too. Gone are the days of upgrading video cards every 12 months. The primary reason is that i just don't need to anymore. Hell, i don't even need to overclock anymore.

These days most of my upgrades have gone towards storage than anything else.

Edited by smakme7757

It's a cycle that has very much run its course. Used to upgrade purely for more storage when drives were tiny then because the next version of an app needed more grunt, neither apply very often anymore for someone who is not a big downloader. I probably need some more RAM at the moment on a 3 year old laptop but otherwise nothing needed.

Phones are a different story, mine are lucky to last a 24 month contract, mainly because of the damaging life they lead. My contract roll-over just gave me an LG G-7, nice phone, should go the 24 months :)

I don't have a home pc at the moment either, there's just no immediate need beyond the laptops.

The struggle really is sorting out just what to offer to clients for builds, quite bewildering sometimes :)

Cheers

Need based. Maybe 2 - 3 years for the video card. Currently on a HD7970 and i7 2600K that's a bit old but perfectly fine. I pretty much play only 1 game and the HD7970 powers it acceptably at 5760x1070. If I play other games I switch back to single screen and they zoom along with the pretties cranked up.

- My main PC is 4 years old though I installed a SSD and upgraded GPU, just most is 4+ years old. CPU, MB, RAM, PSU, Case, DVD-Drive, HDD are old.

- My media PC is second hand using Core 2 Duo Processor, so probably 6 to 7 years old, though it has a SSD now.

- My laptop is 7 year old, replaced HDD with SSD

- My smartphone is a HTC One X and 2.2 years old for me, install CM11

- I have older gaming consoles such as a XBox 360, Wii, PSP, DS

I love technology, everyday I am reading tech news on various web sites and I do have a Nexus 10 and a Wii U that are within a year old, so I do get new tech occasionally. I feel that I should only buy new tech when it brings something I can actually make use of, I don't rush to buy a product because of advertising or because of marginal improvements.

Sounds like everyones now on the same page with upgrading.

I'd say I'm not going to upgrade again until the system can't run something i need or something breaks.

Seems funny now that a few*** years ago I'd be swapping out components as fast as i could get the cash.

*** Bloody hell i just realised that "a few" years is about 10 years.... scary!

Times have certainly changed by the sounds of it with the way we all look at upgrading. Must hurt the hardware manufactures just a tad.

It must affect sales to some extend. Probably more so to the local PC shop.

If you have the upgrade bug, and your laptop is only 2 years old, and not particularly slow for you, I'll make a couple of suggestions :)

1. SSD.

adding an SSD to a laptop is a great way to speed it up. Ironically, if you're one to do a single task alone, it will ever so slightly shorten your battery life (SSD uses more at idle than mech drive), but there is no other downside; just blisteringly fast loads.

2. RAM

Even if you think you're not doing enough to 'fill what you have' make your minimum 8GB

I'm not sure what you have exactly, but a lot of systems can handle the 'next speed up' in RAM.

8GB (2x4) of 1600mhz DDR3 RAM will ensure dual channel and hopefully speed up the IGP and varios busses a little.

3. Thermal Paste.

If you're savvy enough to strip the laptop down to its cooling without breaking it; Until HASWELL came along, there was basically not a laptop in existance that didnt throttle itself after, at most, half an hour of truly heavy load.

Stripping off the white silicone goop and adding some nice, well laid ArcticSilver (or any of the ones that kick its ass these days :P) is a great way to drop 5 or so degrees and keep the laptop feeling snappy.

4. Dual boot.

Install a lighter OS than Windows as a boot option for when you need it 'right the fuck now'.

I have Xubuntu installed on my laptops, because it boots to desktop with 0 load in less than about 7 seconds.

I'm usually in windows, but if I just NEED to search something real quick, boom, turbo loading fully featured linux distro.

Thinking about it...I don't think I will be upgrading my PC any time soon with the exception of HDDs.

Times have certainly changed by the sounds of it with the way we all look at upgrading. Must hurt the hardware manufactures just a tad.

It must affect sales to some extend. Probably more so to the local PC shop.

Nah i think we're all just getting older with less disposable income.

I'm sure the kids are still throwing down the cash.

Today's gear has so much performance headroom - its nice to see it last out for quite a while. I only upgrade when something dies. Once you have quad core machines that can run 30" monitors - what need to perpetually upgrade? In the distant past upgrading was releasing hand brakes to get to that next resolution, or effect of fluid fps. You hardly need that nowadays, once you've finally broken the sound barrier you care a lot less about it. I don't feel the need for a 10gbit network back bone, nor multiple raid'd SSDs per machine. Will 32 or 64GB of RAM buy me that much more happiness than 8 or 16GB per machince? I could add an extra 20TB of storage to the NAS or put in a 20kilo volt amp UPS - but why bother. The gear is pretty slick now, life has other priorities to address. Just wish I could trnsport even a 3 year old rig back to the mid nineties when all this need for speed started really kicking in. Dropping over $5K per year (every year for a decade) on PC upgrades was nothing back then - how times have changed!

• Like 1