Sign in to follow this  
Hlass

Bill Shorten. Not a rapist.

Labor leader Bill Shorten has broken his silence after being cleared by the Victorian Police of damaging rape allegations dating back to the 1980s.

In a move designed to put the issue behind him, Mr Shorten said the investigation had been concluded and "there is absolutely no basis to the claims".

Mr Shorten avoided directly naming what the allegations against him were.

Bill Shorten Photo: Angela Wylie

"I freely answered all the questions that the police asked of me. Now the police investigation is concluded, I can make this statement. The easy option would be to say nothing, but that is not who I am," he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bill-shorten-opens-up-about-rape-allegations-20140821-106r7h.html#ixzz3B0eXQbHW cont in link

Officially not a rapist.

The article I read said he ( Shorten ) first heard of the accusation a year ago. And is bringing it to light now cos the

investigation is done . Now I want to know from the other party. And will I ever know the truth of it ? Nope.

I fucking hate this shit.

Of course, it's Shorten's death nell as far as being leader of the Opposition. Can't have this smear on your leader.

"The office of the Prime Minister earlier released a statement claiming that although Mr Abbott was not officially not a rapist this lack of police confirmation of his non-raping status should not be considered prejudicial."

Tony Abbott. Maybe a rapist. (Awaiting official confirmation)

• Like 2

Actually, strictly speaking, Shorten is not exonerated.

The cops said there was "no reasonable prospect of a conviction". That's not the same as "the allegations are baseless". It happened in the 80s. Long time ago, woman involved only spoke up last year with no witnesses - how are you going to prove it?

Either way, add this to his already thin (read: none) list of good qualities, and he's on borrowed time as leader of the opposition.

Borrowed time?

Hell no. It's going to be like Tony Abbott and threatening that lady in his Uni days and punching the wall beside her head.

It's politics. You have to be actually found guilty before anything happens. (eg. Latham)

AD

I think his borrowed time is done. I'm not happy that it's taken this rape allegation to get him gone, is all.

I'm not happy that there is a rape allegation. It makes both him and the other party a victim now.

Just a damn huge pity the allegation wasn't dealt with back in the '80s.

It's going to make life extremely difficult now for all extended family loved ones from both sides of the allegation.

What a horrible mess.

Edited by eveln
  • Like 1

Hell no. It's going to be like Tony Abbott and threatening that lady in his Uni days and punching the wall beside her head.

Let's be real here... allegation of punching a wall next to a woman vs allegation of raping a woman?

I think we know where each sits on the level of awfulness.

Rape is much more awful I agree.

But this won't affect things.

This isn't strip club visiting or crap like that. Sod that.

Politics is all about teflon. You need a guilty verdict for shit to stick.

Guarantee that next election this will not get mentioned by Liberal at all.

AD

AD, really ? You don't think Shorten's peers will want him taken down as Leader. He's a liability surely.

Rape is much more awful I agree.

But this won't affect things.

This isn't strip club visiting or crap like that. Sod that.

Politics is all about teflon. You need a guilty verdict for shit to stick.

Guarantee that next election this will not get mentioned by Liberal at all.

AD

It doesn't have to get mentioned by the Libs. It just has to be mentioned in the press or by pundits.

And you know they will.

• Like 1

Probably not Ev, too many avenues for playing the "poor pitiful me" card although that might really benefit Shorten, after all he's a grey nobody to the voter.

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Nup. Definitely not.

And why?

Here's the thing. ALL the headlines I've seen are not something about case being dropped.

I just did a google for it.

The most obvious one was this:

Labor politician cleared in rape case

Note the word CLEARED

This was from "The Australian". A very Liberal leaning paper.

This is not "Police drop charges against Labor Politician after insufficient evidence". This is "cleared".

AD

Yeah, this isn't gonna go away. The Libs might have the decency not to exploit whatever this mess is, but the media sure as hell don't. Scrotumface Murdoch is probably doing a barrel roll in glee as we speak.

I'm calling it now. It's going to go away. And here's the big 'gotcha'.

Labor have been notorious for the Labor Leader troubles. If they spin another leader out, for any reason, even rape allegations, they'll be seen as unstable. The party don't want that.

Labor will punish anyone who makes a point of it. "Oh. So he's guilty now. Without trial". It's too far away from an election to count. It's not going to be fresh in peoples minds.

Liberal won't push it, because there is 'no case to answer to'.

Labor won't mention it and let it go to backburner.

Media will get accusations of being biased and could be embarrasing if they bring it up come next election. It'll be seen as dibber-dobber type nature which goes against most Australians.

We *might* see a short term attack by media in Aussie papers (Especially Murdoch papers). But that's going to go largely by wayside.

Teflon will remain.

AD

Edited by AccessDenied
  • Like 2

Even with inflammatory lines like:

Mr Abbott told the paper the charge was dismissed in January 1978 after the magistrate complained of ''enormous conflict'' between the prosecution and defence evidence

Couple that with this:

And Opposition Foreign Affairs spokesman Kevin Rudd said the charges of indecent assault against Health Minister Tony Abbott were of no interest to Labor.

Mr Rudd said Labor was not interested in either incident. ''The bottom line is we are not interested in Tony Abbott's personal assault,'' he told the Seven Network.

If anyone tries to make a hoo-haa about Shorten, they're going to have to do it for Abbott too.

This was not a case of found "Not Guilty". This was dismissed.

This means that not "Prosecution" but "the judge" found that it couldn't go forward.

It's not an exhoneration.

It's lack of proof of guilt..

AD

• Like 1

Even with inflammatory lines like:

Mr Abbott told the paper the charge was dismissed in January 1978 after the magistrate complained of ''enormous conflict'' between the prosecution and defence evidence

Couple that with this:

And Opposition Foreign Affairs spokesman Kevin Rudd said the charges of indecent assault against Health Minister Tony Abbott were of no interest to Labor.

Mr Rudd said Labor was not interested in either incident. ''The bottom line is we are not interested in Tony Abbott's personal assault,'' he told the Seven Network.

If anyone tries to make a hoo-haa about Shorten, they're going to have to do it for Abbott too.

This was not a case of found "Not Guilty". This was dismissed.

This means that not "Prosecution" but "the judge" found that it couldn't go forward.

It's not an exhoneration.

It's lack of proof of guilt..

AD

Except off course Abbott had 7 witnesses stating that he touched the woman on her back as a means of getting her attention.

It also went to court, and in court it was dismissed.

Not to put too much of a spin on it, Abbott had witnesses, went to court and the court found the case untry-able. A case whereby the woman alleged he touched her inappropriately. Bill Shorten's case is of alleged rape - not indecent assault.

If a person isn't convicted, leave it alone. He didn't rape her as far as we are concerned, that should be it. Otherwise it is guilty until proven innocent, which is a terrible system .

• Like 1

If a person isn't convicted, leave it alone. He didn't rape her as far as we are concerned, that should be it. Otherwise it is guilty until proven innocent, which is a terrible system .

Which is entirely true in the legal sense, in a court. Outside a court there is no such system.

Which is entirely true in the legal sense, in a court. Outside a court there is no such system.

While unfortunately true, I just dislike mob justice and trials by media. Superhero vigilantees are pretty awesome, like Spider-Man.

Edited by fabman_uk

Well. I'm no fan of Shorten. That's common knowledge.

The cynic in me read this article and thought, well if there's no paper / money trail then Shorten did the best thing

politically by bringing this to light first himself, after the lady's fb mention I mean.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/563541/20140822/woman-accuses-labor-leader-1986-rape-when.htm#.U_aiD2OM1Gk

I've not yet found an article that says anything from her perspective yet.

He may well have been falsely accused, and also he may well not be ...

I hate this shit and I'm not sure I like the idea of all our politicians banding together like this.

It's making me feel bloody uncomfortable about stuff.

At the same time the thought that anyone can accuse another of abuse ( thinking of AD's comment in the Grudge thread ),

and impact that person's life and well being out of sheer malice or politics is not to be tolerated either.

So do we just say that it happened decades ago anyway, no one died, it's all good, time to move on and get a life ?

...Not if there's a paper trail we won't.

Amanda Vanstone, in today's Sydney Morning Hamas has a good article asking what would've happened if those allegations were aired against Abbott in this political climate.

Commenters made a good point - the 'punch the wall affair' immediately triggered the handbag goon squad into overdrive, hundreds of articles were published and all because of an untested allegation.

Bill Shorten gets accused of rape and no-one in the Libs says a thing or ever will say a thing. Bill Shorten said his piece, the Libs all chorused 'no comment' except Turnbull who said Shorten did the right thing tackling the issue head on. And the issue was allowed to die.

Common decency still exists. Maybe Labor could use a lesson.

• Like 1