eveln

" Waiters Feeling The Pin-Ch As Tipping Dries Up,..."

This aspect of the change for card machines had not featured for me as yet, I can imagine it must be pretty

frustrating for those who might have looked forward to the tips though.

"Tipping has definitely gone down with the PIN numbers, but PayPass has had much more of an impact,

” Mr Ilitch said. “Nobody has been talking about that.”

David O’Byrne, acting national secretary of hospitality workers union United Voice, said it was a story he was

hearing from members across the country.

“It’s pretty clear that one of the few bonuses of working in the hospitality industry is drying up,” he said.

“The average wage is very low, there are high levels of casual staff, and one of the few bonuses you would get

when you did provide service above the standard is now disappearing.”

Mr O’Byrne said it was too early to tell what the wider economic impact would be, but hit out at the restaurant

and catering industry over Fair Work Australia’s decision to cut weekend penalty rates for casual staff.

That decision is currently being appealed by the United Voice in the Federal Court, with the next hearing scheduled

for Monday August 25."....

Obviously, as the quote I've chosen says, the issue is more than just no more signature, it's also about PayPass and

the cutting of weekend penalty rates.

How are people who choose to work in hospitality supposed to get on ?

The article says a lot of the comments make it plain that generally people don't care that they're giving less in tips.

[disclaimer: I've not read the comments section]

So , I'm not altogether surprised at that. I bet those same people still whinge at crappy service, but ;)

The idea of cards is no cash, but would it be too much to put a $20.00 in your pocket before leaving home ?

I try to have some cash with me always, it's a safety thing like having a charged phone handy too ... ya just

never know when it will be needed.

Heh,

I most always pay at a restaurant or whatever by card just to get a receipt for expenses but always leave a tip in any event unless the service is non-existent. I can see where people just don't think of it though, especially with the "wave and it's gone" method.

Cheers

My wife often only goes out with her card in her phone case and then doesn't need a purse, if she takes cash she needs a purse and then she needs a bag. Convenience making other suffer...

\o/ Maybe this way tipping will die off before it catches on entirely, it's a cultural import that doesn't really have any place in Australia with our minimum wage laws.

• Like 3

These people should be being paid enough without tips.

Agreed.

Or, alternatively, I think a culture should either be "no tips" or "tips a must", none of this middle ground business.

Personally I can see a good argument for tips, it encourages good service.

Rob.

These people are paid enough without tips, in this country. I would be worried if I was in Europe or the states, but here wait staff earn more than kitchen staff. Which is just fundamentally wrong I say :P

The going rate at the moment in the act for wait staff is about $20/h. That is by no means bad money. It's not good, but then again a retarded monkey could do the job of most waiters.

-X

Agreed.

Or, alternatively, I think a culture should either be "no tips" or "tips a must", none of this middle ground business.

Rob.

Doing your job properly should be par for the course not something that requires bribery from the customer.

• Like 1

I only Tip when i receive good service and the staff are knowledgeable about items on the menu.

When i visit Sydney Manly i usually tip the places i enjoy on the Corso.

Service at a place has to be well and truly above and beyond what is expected of a staff member for me to consider leaving a tip. I am not paying them to do their job, but I will tip if they are extremely exceptional at doing it. Bringing extra water to a table doesn't count.

It's a problem for the Workplace Award rate if they need tips to survive.

• Like 1

Agreed.

Rob.

Doing your job properly should be par for the course not something that requires bribery from the customer.

"Should be."

Rob.

Agreed.

Rob.

Oh Man !! Tell that to the politicians ! They get waaay more money and still require perks.

Why should the humble waitstaff lose the opportunity to make a buck or two for looking after your precious sorry butt ? :)

I only tip if the service is above and beyond what is normally expected of the wait staff.

If you do the minimum required of you then your pay packet is more then enough.

I don't get tipped for doing a good job and I am being honest, I work a lot harder doing the bare minimum in my job then any wait staff do when they are busy and most likley earn the same or less then them due to them getting untaxed tips.

Edited by mohawk
  • Like 1

Hey, I work in hospitality, the only tips I get are 10c coins that nobody wants

Since when has there been a culture o tipping in Australia anyway?

minimum wage in USA, about $7.50 Hr

here about $18

• Like 1

"Since when has there been a culture o tipping in Australia anyway?"

That's a question that is constantly asked. I cannot give an actual date. Since people started travelling I'd say.

Or when Aussies still felt empathy for those who were not paid well, and yet still put up with less than perfect customers

whilst trying to earn a living to house and feed and clothe themselves.

Our wages are supposedly aligned with our cost of living, that is how it's supposed to work anyway.

One is at their most vulnerable when they sit at a strangers table and partake of food/drink placed in front of them.

Granted, the tipping bit comes at the end, still, if everyone feels good then it's a gesture of goodwill for the future,

ie your next visit to the same establishment. And, if the establishment is doing well chances are you will have the

same staff ...

Edited by eveln

I'm 33, born in NSW and have always lived in Australia. Since when when the hell has tipping in this country been common practice?

I must have missed the memo O_o

Admittedly I'm going back a few years ... but I remember doing the lunch session as a drinkwaiter on a few occasions

people were always leaving tips. Also as a foodwaiter too.

One is at their most vulnerable when they sit at a strangers table and partake of food/drink placed in front of them.

Granted, the tipping bit comes at the end, still, if everyone feels good then it's a gesture of goodwill for the future,

ie your next visit to the same establishment. And, if the establishment is doing well chances are you will have the

same staff ...

Like I said, I run a bakery

the only tips we get are the 10c change that people do not want

same staff ...

I'm trying to recall here ... do you take credit cards TMFP ?

Also, it all adds up ...ie my saving of coin pays a large part of utilities ;)

Dunno,

Lived her forty years, don't recall when tipping was not pretty common-place. I really don't have a problem with it, obviously some do.

Cheers

Yep, cards are great for business, but they only account for 15 % of sales

we have accepted cash for 20 years, never receive tips

same staff ...

In my experience it's predominantly a restaurant and upmarket cafe thing. I've been known to leave up to $50 if the service was exceptional/particularly attractive/I was smashed but usually something $10 or $12 for great service at restaurants and $5 or $6 at cafes if I have a meal.

Yep, cards are great for business, but they only account for 15 % of sales

we have accepted cash for 20 years, never receive tips

Well then I'm very sorry for the slur.

You've always described your business as a bakery, do you do table service ?

Our Bakery here in Mossman has approx five or six tables. I don't eat or go there often myself - purely due to my

schedule, not a slight on their product. However I still buy across the counter and take my food to the table myself

and drinks are self serve from the frig. It's pretty basic, but there in that set-up it's purely about the food, and

not the service / lack of. I'm hoping the business stays cos I like their food and if they're good business people

they've costed things accordingly. You've staid in business "for 20 years", with that in mind you must be doing quite

a few things very right.

Also I tend to use a similar tipping system as Reaper, all but the $50.00 that is. I'm not nearly that rich or inebriated :D

Edited by eveln

And the takeaway bakery gives you no service?

Other than a table and chair, how is the dine in waiter working harder than the takeaway?

The cafe is already charging you more for the table clearing and washing dishes

• Like 1

And the takeaway bakery gives you no service?

Yes it does. It hands me the goods I agree to pay for and accepts the money I pay.

Other than a table and chair, how is the dine in waiter working harder than the takeaway?

The cafe is already charging you more for the table clearing and washing dishes

The bakery costs it's product according to it's level of service also, yes ?

Otherwise the bakery would close .