Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Poe Fires; What The Hell Is In That Magic Smoke?

To cut a long story short, a little SMD chip (8 pin) burst into flames in the server room.

More specifically, the PoE failed, I opened the top, power cycled it, and got a lung full of magic smoke.

Not only has it been a fun day rewiring all the Cat5, but even one little puff of the magic smoke sets off my asthma.

Blech!

Hows your day going so far everyone? lol

To cut a long story short, a little SMD chip (8 pin) burst into flames in the server room.

More specifically, the PoE failed, I opened the top, power cycled it, and got a lung full of magic smoke.

Not only has it been a fun day rewiring all the Cat5, but even one little puff of the magic smoke sets off my asthma.

Blech!

Hows your day going so far everyone? lol

Its highly toxic if you inhale large amounts has most of the nastiest of the nastiest ingredients you can think about. Being so small a chip it probably a small puff that dispersed with ease.

Normally they have arsenic,cyanide and various other metal compounds.

Sound like you have the same trigger for asthma as i do have ,smoke. Try getting some garlic in you and do some deep breathing that will clear it up for you.

Also drink plenty of water ,coffee can make it worse for you.

Yeah went for a walk outside and had a drink of water.

It was a tiny puff, but it hit me square in the face during inhale, so i got a good lung full, lol.

I'm not really worried, just amazed that a chip the size of about 2 match heads can put out a flame as tall as my index finger.

for that much of an arc\flame, I'm actually assuming the a VR on the PSU failed and sent 240 straight down, where it was expecting 3.3v (according the the capacitor limits).

either way, it looked like I could weld on the thing :P

Interestingly, because it didnt set alight any rubber (no cat5 or even inner cables) it didnt make any smoke. God knows how long it had been flaming, but the fire alarms didnt go off; and they get tested and confirmed working monthly.

Odd, and a little scary. Electrical fires eh? Stealthy.

Edited by Master_Scythe