hulkster

Concerts. Who, When And Any Good?

We are off to Melb Friday to see half of Queen and Adam Lambert. Reviews from around the country have been fantastic so I am looking forward to it. I am a huge Queen fan.

I saw Alice Cooper live in 1990 and got to meet and have a photo taken with him ( I won a comp for back stage passes )

Saw Nickelback in about 2006? at Rod Laver arena. FUCKING LOUD.

Seen Barnsy a few times but never got to see chisel live which is a bummer.

Apart from those few I haven't been to many big named artists.

Who did you enjoy the most out of the live gigs you have seen?

My favourite concerts have been for Mogwai, Camille, Gomez, Art of Fighting, and Sia. Sarah Blasko, too, but I got the starting time wrong and missed the first half of the concert.

Camille probably had the best stage presence.

Edited by Nich...

My two favourite gigs are complete opposites of each other.

Katie Melua @ Her Maj's in 2005, Managed to get centre front row - so good that I didn't need the PA to hear her playing acoustic 3-4 m away.

Robbie Williams @ Footy Park/AAMI Stadium - never bought one of his CDs, but friends were going - it was amazing performance by a true entertainer (By comparison I saw U2 at the same venue a few weeks before, and the music was great, but the performance average)

Other highlight was Roger Waters @ Entertainment Centre - incredible music in surround sound that was very loud, with special credit for a remote control pink pig airship indoors.

The best so far was Queen, in Melbourne back around 1986, third row right in the centre, couldn't hear a thing for three days afterwards.

• Like 1

I saw Gorillaz in concert (for reals)

It was pretty loud, wasn't prepared, had to go at interval and buy some earplugs.

Brisbane Entertainment Centre, 19th December, 2010.

Probably the best I've seen thus far was Bad Religion in 2007, Metro City in Perth.

The volume was good (as in you could enjoy the music without going deaf), and the band's similarity to their studio-quality work in live form was very impressive. There's little to no difference between Greg Graffin's voice in the flesh and on a record. Having Strung Out open for you certainly helped too.

The Music at Rock It 2009 (Joondalup Arena) was pretty amazing too, as was Muse at Big Day Out 2007 at Claremont Showgrounds and Bush at Soundwave 2012. But those were dampened by being festivals (ie: heat and dickheads everywhere).

Alice Cooper and Queen (with Freddie) would have been huge... never saw them though.

Biggest name band I saw was probably Midnight Oil - late 80s when they were still near their best, IMO they went downhill around the release of Red Sails despite still cranking out the occasional good one, the older stuff was better.

Saw Divynals 4 times - Chrissy used to put a great stage show on. Also saw The Radiators 4 times, these were back around late 80s/early 90s when both were still prominent.

Missed out on Guns & Roses in 1993 - should have gone, could have gone easily, had other stuff going on but really a couple of days in Sydney would have done me good at the time.

That's the problem with Canberra - the population is more than enough to support big acts but people here decide at the last minute and it puts many bands off.

Then throw in the fact many tickets can cost the price of 3 or more albums, I just CBF'd in most cases paying for it.

AC/DC Black Ice tour in 2010, at the old ANZ Stadium. Hoooo-leeeee shiiiiiiiit. Loud, high energy, absolute classic songs, epic Angus solo, best night ever.

But that was the only "band" I ever saw. I've seen a few big name comedians in large venues, been twice to the Opera House to see Sydney Symphony Orchestra play (Final Fantasy - Distant Worlds tour, and something else I don't remember), and once to the Melbourne Convention Centre to see the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (Play! A Video Game Symphony).

i've never been much of a concert goer

although i did see cold chisel when they were the support act for deep purple in adelaide in probably 1976, and they were poorly received as the crowd were there for deep purple

saw ac/dc with bon scott on bagpipes at the same venue (memorial drive) at around the same time, but from a tree outside the fence :)

keith jarrett solo at the festival theatre was pretty damn good too, as was maria muldaur (better than jackson browne who was the lead act)

the sunny boys were good but too loud, and the hoodoo gurus were close up in a basement venue in hindley street, but not that compelling

moved to sydney...

the neville brothers at the state theatre was the most contagious live concert ever - even though they had to wheel aaron out in a wheelchair before the narcotics kicked in, and the venue is simply beautiful; wayne shorter and herbie hancock were excellent there also, if a little eclectic and there were a lot of people who left when it was clear there ain't no way they were going to do rock it (or even watermelon man)

toumani diabate and his symmetric orchestra at the opera house was fantastic - what's not to like about live african energy, and the "world's best kora player"

these days i am pretty happy to listen to the wharfedales or audiotechnicas, although the annual manly jazz festival is always worth a walk down the hill in october :)

Edited by scruffy1
  • Like 1

:)

Would have no idea on the best, rarely been to a concert I didn't enjoy, which is as Ry says just as well with the cost of tickets these days :)

The past few years have not been to much at all, I think Joe Cocker in Kings Park or possibly Jackson Browne was the last, both a good night.

Did see Ricky Lee-Jones a good while back, and Sting, oh and took my eldest to her beloved Eagles at Crown. The last were very, very good, came the end and through all the applause daughter turns to me and says "Dad! They played everything but "Horse With No Name!!!" " That was the encore :)

Have not been to as many in Perth though, Adelaide was where I was a regular concet goer and have no idea what I could call the best, although Christie Moore three times was great and Rick Wakeman at Memorial Drive, huge concert.

Making me feel old :)

Cheers

Saw the Arctic Monkeys a couple of months back, that was pretty great.

As for the best ones I have ever seen.... wow, tough question.

There are a whole range that were great for different reasons. I find gigs are great as much as for a sense of time and place as a great performance. Some notable ones include:

Groove Armada - Pumping tunes! Just uplifting tunes non-stop.

Gorillaz - How did they make any money? Did they make any money? There would have been around sixty performers that came through the stage at various times, and the audiovisual and lighting was just amazing. A real highlight concert.

1200 Techniques - a pretty average recording band that put on one of the best performances I have ever seen at Big Day Out years ago. The crowd went wild!

Kasabian - Cracking show at the Enmore Theatre. A fantastic mix of rock and roll and dancey beats. Awesome!

Tumbleweed - Years ago, stoned in front of a stoned hometown crowd of about 300 at Wollongong Uni in the mid-90's. Loud and just epic.

Crystal Castles - Not the most magnetic of performers, but the music was pretty great in a steamy Enmore Theatre.

Kraftwerk - Another Big Day Out gig that just blew my mind.

Rammstein - Not really my thing normally, but wow! What a compelling and entertaining show!

Die Antwoord - Just freaking weird, but really entertaining. Very talented, but I'm not sure anyone is sure what to make of 'em.

Bloc Party - A genuine contender for the best gig of all time.

Powderfinger - At Homebake. I saw them a few times and the shine slowly dropped off them. They gave it up at the right time in my opinion, but at their best they were great.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - One of the greatest performers this country has produced. A genius and a great performer.

Caribou - Put on a really intimate performance at the Metro. Intricate music put on by one man. Amazing electronica.

There's plenty I have missed I'm sure.

Edited by Captain Awesome!

Making me feel old :)

Cheers

no, that'd be your age :) (not unlike mine)

Die Antwoord - Just freaking weird, but really entertaining. Very talented, but I'm not sure anyone is sure what to make of 'em.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - One of the greatest performers this country has produced. A genius and a great performer.

die antwoord are impressive, and yolandi is really hot although her hairstyle doesn't do it for me

nick cave is really critically acclaimed but sorry, i just don't see the magic that seems to mesmerise many - although he admittedly has a better hair stylist than yolandi

Edited by scruffy1

Most memorable shows for me (in no particular order);

True Live

Paris Wells

Joelistics

N'Fa Jones

Eminem

Kendrick Lamar

Kimbra

Example

The Streets

The Herd

TZU

Butterfingers

MC Lars

Ok now I am just listing every bloody artist I've seen...

Have never been to a concert where I felt ripped off.

Have left a few gigs before they started, one because we realised on getting in, that it was all ages, and I was in no mood for that shit.

Another one, was going through some rough sht with work and it was putting me into a really sad mood...

Most fun for me would be Primus. Nothing in the world moves like a crowd at a Primus concert. Seen Fugazi maybe five times. Got to see Morphine before Sandman died. Tortoise and Mum at The Metro. Jane's Addiction at the Enmore Theatre were excellent too.

Meshell Ndegeocello in Tokyo. That woman can play.

I saw Joe Zawinul at The Basement a bit over a decade ago; I took a piss next to Victor Bailey and said hi, heh. Every motherfucker who does music in Sydney was packed into that room that night. Being friends with the engineer that evening got me in for free.

Biggest regret was not being in Sydney to see Rodriguez. That guy is a secret piece of history.

Edited by komuso

Having only ever been to two concerts makes this quite easy for me.

In order of goodness:

• Queens of the Stone Age and Nine Inch Nails, Qantas Credit Union Arena Sydney, 2014.
  • The Go! Team, The Hi-Fi Bar Melbourne, 2008
Both were great, in their own way. Edited by Charcoal

28Days - Highschool? - Entertainment Center - Was a collection of Aussie groups doing their top 2 songs. I think it was held by coke, was ACTUALLY pretty good, surprisingly.

Dragonforce (many years ago at the GLOBE) - Epic, super crowd pumping, amazing.

Dragonforce (2011? at the Tivoli) - Band was great, but they screwed up and left it all ages, so had guitar hero 'kids' around who didnt know the songs.

Eluvitie - 2014 - The ZOO - Absolutely mind blowing. Heavy metal Folk music is a hard thing to do right. Even the 'screaming' was with the song, not 'at me'. Amazing band.

Kamelot - 2014 - The HiFi - Words cannot describe. The crowd was perfect, the band was totally on, and the encore was a blood red stage as 'march of Mephisto' built up on wireless instruments. Would see again, 100 times!

Edited by Master_Scythe

Have not been to a concert for decades, and the ones I did go to I thoroughly enjoyed.

Loudest would have been Manfred Mann in Hobart in 1972. Didn't help that our seats where front row in front of a speaker stack.

:P

Also enjoyed Skyhooks in 1975 in Launceston.

Also in Launceston but a few years earlier the Dutch Swing College band was rather boring, but the Emu Bay Strutters Jazz Band support act was very much fun.

However probably the top concerts would have been sitting on the grass watching various acts including Redgum and Steeleye Span belt out their songs at the Longford folk festival in the late 1970s/ early 1980s.

Booze, food, pretty girls, warm sun all make for a great experience. Probably couldn't do it these days with all the crap surrounding alcohol consumption in public.

Oh and the pubs where always chockas with impromptu performances provied by everyone and anyone. Was a great time, sadly eventually ruined by an influx of dickheads and fuckwits.

Don't think I have been to a concert since then. "P

Gah why isn't spell check working in the text box?

I'm not a regular concert goer.

However, the big ones I've been to:

- Stonefest 2002 (Dan Brodie and the Broken Arrows, TISM, Machine Gun Felatio, Jet, Wicked Beat Sound System, HoneySmacks, Good Buddha and a few others). Got to see one of the TISM guys do a full naked (with mask) helicopter. You remember these things.

- Faithless. Supported by "Way out West"

- Drop Kick Murphys.

AD

Eurogliders in Kuranda last century some time.

Angels in Darwin last century (even earlier) some time.

Sky. Perth Concert Hall last century ( even earlier again) some time.

... Rodriguez. That guy is a secret piece of history.

That's for sure . An amazing guy.

It seems I missed him in WA.

Edited by eveln

Joe Dolcy at Geelongs Eastern Beach in 1980. Very intense.

Second only the Queen concert I went to.

Edited by Director

#1 Metallica multiple times.

Machine Head multiple times,

Iron Maiden,

Slayer multiple times,

Roger Waters (outstanding!),

Slipknot,

The Pixies,

Midnight Oil multiple times,

The Angels multiple times,

Beastie Boys,

The Orb,

ACDC,

Public Enemy,

Bodycount,

The Snowdroppers muliple times,

Death Angel,

Paindivision,

Spy V Spy multiple times,

Paul Dianno,

Hatebreed,

Cypress Hill,

Suicidal Tendencies,

Kevin Bloody Wilson,

Redgum,

Pop Will Eat Itself..

Also Soundwave/Big Day Out goodness including: Rammstein, Clutch, Meshuggah, Anthrax, Tool, Jane's Addiction, Killswitch Engage, Faith No More, The Cure, Green Day, Bodyjar, The Living End, Sunk Loto, The Deftones.

Saw Kiss & Motley Crue during thier last tour here and I gotta say was a bit underwhelming.

Edited by ssar