Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Nakedadsl- Not Worth The Down Time!

I'm here to advise people against Naked ADSL in residential areas.

Telstra technicians still don't have any equipment to check if a pair is being used for NADSL as opposed to having a dial tone.

For the 4th time in 3 months I've had a telstra tech disconnect me up the street to get someone elses phone line to work.

-My internet connection dropped

-Then I heard a diesel van come down my street and popped my head out just in time to see 'TELSTRA' on the side of it.

-Jumped in my car and boosted down the road to flag him down

-he pulled over and admitted he'd been doing work on my street, and yes, it coulda broken my line

-he apologised and said its too hard to work in the pitch black, please log it. and took note of my address on the telstra map thing on his PC.

I think its the first time he's been 'Fast and Furious'd' to pull over and quizzed about his job :P (if only I owned a black civic with underglow, lol)

It's not their fault. Tracing my line would be hell; I know from the last subcontractor that my line "Jumps 5 to 7 pairs, just to reach the house" and even then my Sync rate is only 3-4mbps.

I went with Internode naked, assuming a good service level as Internode has never done me wrong; but I didnt expect the line issues.

If this repair leaves me at less than 5mbps, I'll be jumping ship and going with Exetel, like the other phone line in the house.

They do line rental and 200GB for the same cost as my naked line; and they manage 9ms ping to DOTA2, where Internode is at best 66ms.

Sick to DEATH of being disconnected. And a dial tone would fix that.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I'm so glad I have [telstra] cable, despite the cost. Much faster, more reliable...

NADSL is a cool idea, but it never really seemed to save much, even ignoring the maintenance headaches.

PointZeroOne, its possible you were in a good area, in my area we have technicians fixing someones phone line at least once a week; USUALLY they dont kill the others.

But as I mentioned, I'm up to (at minimum) 5 pair hops to reach my house, so its not looking good.

I DO have cable in my area, but since it was severed when the house was lifted, they want wayyyy too much to 'repair the damage'; so screw them.

I never saw any point to naked.

It works out to be the same price as it would if I was renting a phone line.

• Like 1

For internode, it didnt, it does now, but a year ago it was a good 20 a month cheaper.

And I just got my phone call from a dude from telstra; he's there working on it now. And he seemed to 'get it' too; he's going to test some line quality in short runs with his tools and try get me the best pairs for net speed :D

• Like 1

I'm so glad I have [telstra] cable, despite the cost. Much faster, more reliable...

I have Telstra cable too and it's pretty decent. There have been a few outages since I signed up, but it's been pretty decent. And the speeds are great (still would like NBN though).

3.9KM from the exchange (as copper lies)

1Mb UP

4.8Mb DOWN

(Billion modem with 5db SnR hack)

Ping in DOTA2 2 down from 66ms to .39ms.

What a top bloke he was!

Edited by Master_Scythe

It is a trap, we've been disconnected once but caught the tech before he could leave the scene so only a brief interuption.

Had to move at relatively short notice last year so going through the pain of a long copper line, the next move will be MUCH better planned :)

Cheers

The difference for me this time was the dude was actually (not only a cool guy) but from TELSTRA, not a subcontractor.

As such he knew where everything went, could check all the uprights for corrosion, and had the tools to line test each SEGMENT for me.

What a bloody champ.

What a bloody champ.

Ye there are some good techs still around who seem to take pride in their work, but don't forget a contributing factor to his doing a proper job is Telstra actually gave him the time to do it. The contractors are given so many jobs to do per day and they have to try and get them done, even if it is only a quick look and run, just so they can get paid. Even a lot of their own staff seem to be on this "X jobs per day" bullshit.

If the problem goes on long enough and frequently enough Telstra can send out there own guys with the instructions to just fix the bloody thing. These also tend to be the more experience fellows so they know all the tricks (official and unofficial) to fixing degrading copper for another few months or so.

I asked that, and thats not how it works at telstra apparently.

its more, There are 99 jobs in the queue in this area; take as many as you can, you get paid per completion

Some just want to do 100 jobs shittily and 'rake the cash' while being an arse.

No.. That's sloppy workmanship.

Nothing more. They're using a phonebutt to check and not appropriate tools. Further, many phonebutts will often have an LED to indicate voltage (ie. Active Line).

This is Telstra sending a sloppy technician out.

Christ, if I as a IT tech who does NOT have the appropriate tools (but appropriate knowledge/qualifications) can identify a Naked line, then they can.

Raise it with the ombudsman. Dead serious.

AD