Sign in to follow this  
wingnut0021

Why Does Everyone Hate The European Union?

As the title says, inspired by the "why does everyone hate the Jews" thread and the recent news regarding the Ukraine. Meeting a lot of people that have opinions about the Ukraine crisis, either they support Russia or have no opinion. What's so damn wrong about being pro-EU?

The EU seems to get a lot of flak which personally I don't get. Yes the recent financial crises and it's handling is definitely something that can be criticized but the forming of the EU has probably been one of the most progressive steps civilization has taken. Quality of life and general happiness of EU citizens is the highest in the world.

Here is a quick vid that explains the basics of the EU

Edited by wingnut0021

It helps that the top 5 happiest nations in the world, of which I know 4 of them have budget surpluses, are in the EU.

I think most of the rhetoric comes from England and the US. Even the scots are leaning towards EU intergration if they become independent. Crazies like the UKIP are infecting the debate with their euroskeptic BS.

the EU has a place in alot of things and without it the world would be messy.

I am pro EU even though I have not been there. Alot of inovation comes from europe so why stop it?

The bigger the bureaucracy, the slower things get done. The EU is just another layer of Government.

The bigger the bureaucracy, the slower things get done. The EU is just another layer of Government.

Yeah because Europe is totally lacking in terms of infrastructure etc. /s

Nobody hates the EU ,its just the OPEN Border policy that everyone hates.

If you want to go from London to Paris no passport is required ,all you need is proof of where you came from.

Most EU countries share all the same needs like banking and such too. But this is one point that UK wants to leave the EU ,its costing billions helping smaller countries and bailouts.

The OPEN Border policy is destroying Border Control too ,with so many refugee's coming from Northern Africa and War Torn Area's is having a major impact on Countries retaining their heritage and identities.

• Like 2

It helps that the top 5 happiest nations in the world, of which I know 4 of them have budget surpluses, are in the EU.

Nope.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/20/travel/happiest-countries-to-visit/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_state_of_the_European_Union

And nope

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_government_budgets_by_country

Edited by Hlass
  • Like 1

Nobody hates the EU ,its just the OPEN Border policy that everyone hates.

If you want to go from London to Paris no passport is required ,all you need is proof of where you came from.

Most EU countries share all the same needs like banking and such too. But this is one point that UK wants to leave the EU ,its costing billions helping smaller countries and bailouts.

The OPEN Border policy is destroying Border Control too ,with so many refugee's coming from Northern Africa and War Torn Area's is having a major impact on Countries retaining their heritage and identities.

The OPEN border policy only applies to borders within the EU and other European nations with border agreements. The borders are not open to North Africa and is subject to border control.

• Like 1

:)

Interesting to see the purported ID of who originally uploaded that map to Wiki Hlass :)

I don't have any real problem with the EU at all but the incidence of refugees appearing across the sub-continent is a concern for those who live there and certainly faclitated by open borders although the biggest issue in the UK is Eastern Europeans apparently.

The UK has always had a bit of a conflicted stance over the EU, very unlikely to change but overall the Union has proven successful.

Cheers

Interesting to see the purported ID of who originally uploaded that map to Wiki Hlass :)

I

Why?

Yeah because Europe is totally lacking in terms of infrastructure etc. /s

I think the EU is a cool idea, so I don't know where the hate is coming from, just guessing.

Third link, click on the map and it says originally uploaded by Anwar Sadaat. A mispelling of course but given Sadat was killed in 81 an odd choice of handle. I suppose there could be someone with that name but it struck me as unusual.

Cheers

I don't have any real problem with the EU at all but the incidence of refugees appearing across the sub-continent is a concern for those who live there and certainly faclitated by open borders although the biggest issue in the UK is Eastern Europeans apparently.

The UK has always had a bit of a conflicted stance over the EU, very unlikely to change but overall the Union has proven successful.

Cheers

Define successful.

I stand corrected. Ta glass.

I stand corrected. Ta hlass.

Dammit. What's happening here.

Glitch in the matrix. It happens when they change something.

-X

Cheers

Define successful.

Heh,

The intentions of the EU Leo were from the start economic, but part of that agenda was to reduce conflict, something that had plagued Europe for quite a while.

Economically if you leave aside recent issues that in reality were more the consequence of reckless banks than anything the Union did, the outcome has been a success. In fact you could suggest that the bail-outs proved that success. Bitter pills for the wealthier nations to swallow but economic strife in the past was the cause of conflict on many occasions.

The other intents of the EU have all to greater or lesser degree been achieved or remain in progress as defined in this precis: http://europa.eu/about-eu/index_en.htm

Very large projects, Airbus etc, have demonstrated that the nations can combine to achieve what they would either struggle with or find impossible alone.

The underlying precept has with one rather marked exception been that nations wanted to join before their application was considered. The UK was of course the exception, vacillating between wanting to join to being unsure and often objected to by France in the main. That was pretty understandable, the UK has a long history of being uncomfortable with the affairs of Europe, it's gravitation having been long more to the US, and France and the UK have not exactly seen eye to eye for a long, long time.

Undoutedly there will be continuing disagreements between the member states but so long as they don't become hostile enough to call up the troops the success endures,

A war within Europe as opposed to against Europe would be very difficult to imagine now.

The contrast has to be with forcing membership in a union, the USSR, where most all of the States chafed at the yoke of Russia.

Cheers

Why do people hate the EU? Why are people backing Russia etc, etc?

Essentially because going against the grain of popular opinion is seen by many as edgy and insightful. It enables them to convince themselves that they have some sort of special insight that the "sheeple" don't.

That's about it really.

Why do people hate the EU? Why are people backing Russia etc, etc?

Essentially because going against the grain of popular opinion is seen by many as edgy and insightful. It enables them to convince themselves that they have some sort of special insight that the "sheeple" don't.

That's about it really.

What about if you're like me who is Russian by birth, anti-Russian because well.. Duh! And anti-EU because its a shit grouping of incompatible countries that resembles an entity even Neville Chamberlain would have described as spineless, piss-weak and an appeaser of extremists.

Going back to the 'old country' in 2010 (Romania) the views of everyone I met were that the EU has done sweet fuck all for anyone in the country except exploit it for resources and sending all the profits out of the country. Even going so far as not employing Romanians and out-sourcing jobs to other Europeans in the resource based industries in the country. So meh, take that for what it's worth.

• Like 2

And Today the UK raised its Terror alert to "Severe". Just wondering how long until the EU does the same thing. I now UK is part of the EU.

So these open borders now ,will they be closed borders now.

It's a fair point, the UK seem very concerned about home grown terrorists who have gone off to the ME and been well and truly indoctrinated if they were not already. Australia is expressing similar concerns, not so much from mainland Europe.

It would appear the possibility is being factored in to how willing other nations, these two included, are to be a part of the air strikes on ISIL.

Can't really blame the US, they do get to lead the charge rather too often but I'm very unconvinced that air strikes are going to do much, then again putting troops on the ground would not really either.

ISIL and the Caliphate are an ideal, bloody difficult to fight by any conventional means.

Cheers

Europe learned the wrong thing from WWII.

America, Russia and the Jews didn't make that mistake.

Europe learned the wrong thing from WWII.

America, Russia and the Jews didn't make that mistake.

Why does everyone one hate the European Union?

Cuz Germans.....still.....apparently.