smakme7757

So The New Motherboards, Ddr4, X99 And The I7-5Xxx Line Is Released

For quite some time I've been wanting to get my home lab (32GB, 4core i7 Xeon) onto a platform which supports 64GB or more RAM and 6 core processors. Yesterday I decided that I would move onto the socket 2011 with an i7-4930K. Using the 32Gb from my home lab and 32GB from my gaming machine I'd have a server with 64Gb and 6 cores.

While looking through the online store I noticed that the new platform had arrived. I guess I was a little disappointed that the new motherboards requires DDR4, but it's a new platform and that's the way it is! With that in mind I dropped the idea of socket 2011 and rather saw towards the new socket 2011-3. Although I feel now isn't the right time to jump onto a new platform. Too many uncertainties. I did it with my 2600K back in the day and I had to go through that motherboard replacement program due to the SATA bug. So I'm going to wait a few months for prices to settle down a bit and any bugs to be ironed out.

This definitely looks like the platform I want my home lab to be running on though. The sting of buying 64GB DDR4 right now is a little too high seeing as I'm heading to Australia for a holiday in September. But this is definitely the future of my home lab. Finally a high end chipset with 10+ SATA ports.

It's been a long time since I've been excited with a new platform. I'm looking forward to seeing some systems pop up here with the new hardware!

Edited by smakme7757
  • Like 1

Yep I'd wait a couple of months.

Tom's Hardware reports that some boards aren't booting and will need firmware upgrades to function. Others aren't allowing DDR4 to stretch its legs to maximum rated speeds yet.

It's also outrageously expensive! For the package you're considering, you're looking at nearly $600 for 32GB, plus at least $280 for the motherboard, and then $679 for the 5930K. The boards and CPU don't look too unreasonable, but the memory will surely come down in price as they get a grip on the fab process.

Edited by Captain Awesome!

Oh FUCK yeah,

my I7 920 D0 survived an entire RAM type :)

In 3 months time or so when prices have their initial drop, its upgrade time.

4.2ghz on air for 6 years! go you good thing!

Yep I'd wait a couple of months.

Tom's Hardware reports that some boards aren't booting and will need firmware upgrades to function. Others aren't allowing DDR4 to stretch its legs to maximum rated speeds yet.

It's also outrageously expensive! For the package you're considering, you're looking at nearly $600 for 32GB, plus at least $280 for the motherboard, and then $679 for the 5930K. The boards and CPU don't look too unreasonable, but the memory will surely come down in price as they get a grip on the fab process.

The price isn't a problem. It's just spending that sort of money right after i just paid $7000 for plane tickets to Australia for the family is a bit of a stretch. It will be 64GB of DDR4, so I'm hoping prices settle down a bit in a few months. But it looks like a very long life platform. At least with all the extra SATA ports and USB ports the X99 brings to the table.

Oh FUCK yeah,

my I7 920 D0 survived an entire RAM type :)

In 3 months time or so when prices have their initial drop, its upgrade time.

4.2ghz on air for 6 years! go you good thing!

:). It will be a worthwhile upgrade no doubt about that!

Edited by smakme7757

That is similar to what I was looking at. It's a nice upgrade from your current system. I'd say money well spent. You get onto the latest and greatest chipset from Intel. An M.2 port, SATA Express, heaps of SATA 6Gbps ports. It is a nice system.

I'm tossing up between the i7-5960X or the i7-5820K. The PC will be for virtualizing servers as a Hyper-V home lab and some general duties/gaming, so one GPU is enough. Due to that the 24 PCI-e lanes of the 5820K would be just fine. I'm not sure the 5930K would be worth the price for 16 extra PCI-e lanes

The 5960X has 2 extra cores which would be handy, but it's over 2.5x the price compared to a 5820K. It would be super awesome to own an Intel Extreme CPU but it just feels like a waste at 2.5x the price. Buying it wouldn't hurt me financially, I'm good with money and that's why it's so hard to take the plunge on the Extreme processor :P.

Edited by smakme7757

I still have no need to upgrade from my i7 920. Seems like a waste of money until something physically breaks.

I'm the same, but at the same time, for less than 1k, its a new 'toy' for sure.

If mATX boards come along I might go this platform. I rather like the duty cycle these will have. Haswell-E now, drop in a Broadwell-E in a year or two time without a rebuild = win.

Edited by mark84
  • Like 2