Sign in to follow this  
Spriggan

Isp's

A combination of assumption (because, as you say, it'd be better in every aspect, otherwise it'd be used, no?)

and an educated guess from when I did admin for a mobile broadband company, and all any optus\voda provisioner had was a terminal session into their server, which led to some form of low level tree view software. It was in no way user friendly and listed every tower, every user, and a bit more. It looked a lot like ActiveDirectory crossed with NetStumbler; there was never any additional software that you'd call user friendly.

While its not a DSLAM, we still have devices with mac addresses, and a parent-child type network connection. 3G needed credentials...

though obviously i may be drawing parallels where its completely unsuitable.

am I wrong? Does it exist? I'd love to know the name, because my old boss (who i still chat with) would find it VERY useful.

He runs an ISP over AT&T lines, and to be able to modify a DSLAM himself..... would cut about 50% of his provisioning time.

BTW, isnt it mind blowing how much AT&T own?

My whole live I heard "Telstra own all the copper..." then I actually worked with a wholesaler and learnt how little telstra ACTUALLY kept.

Edited by Master_Scythe

But with that software not currently existing, do you think that could be a reason that wholesalers require PPP?

I'm not arguing there's not a better theoretical way, I'm just trying to find out the 'why' of right now.

To give this some perspective, my first ADSL account was with TPG - their business 'unlimited data' 1.5mbps thing, back when $150/month was cheaper than the bullshit of 4-channel ISDN and so seemed a bargain.

IPoATM (from memory?). No PPP

This was... 2004-2005-ish.

A combination of assumption (because, as you say, it'd be better in every aspect, otherwise it'd be used, no?)

There are probably non-performance-related reasons why PPP is used. Thankfully it's not a burden on actual high speed connections. Cable and FTTP NBN (AFAIK) just use DHCP.

and an educated guess from when I did admin for a mobile broadband company, and all any optus\voda provisioner had was a terminal session into their server, which led to some form of low level tree view software. It was in no way user friendly and listed every tower, every user, and a bit more. It looked a lot like ActiveDirectory crossed with NetStumbler; there was never any additional software that you'd call user friendly.

While its not a DSLAM, we still have devices with mac addresses, and a parent-child type network connection. 3G needed credentials...

Cost cutting, I guess. Within Telstra and presumably Optus, all those types of provisioning systems are abstracted away behind the CRM software.

am I wrong? Does it exist? I'd love to know the name, because my old boss (who i still chat with) would find it VERY useful.

He runs an ISP over AT&T lines, and to be able to modify a DSLAM himself..... would cut about 50% of his provisioning time.

The CRM software is usually COTS. Telstra uses Siebel from Oracle, and their backend tools are (last I checked), AXIS, START, and NPAMS for various parts of the network, which I guess are bespoke tools, probably in-house. The links between the CRM and the backend tools would be custom too.