Sign in to follow this  
Ishta2000

Recommend A Tv For Me

Hi All,

So I am in the market for a new TV and JB HiFi are offering 15% off all their TV's this weekend.

I have been looking at the Samsung UHD9000 TV's in the 55 inch size and also the Hisense and Sharp TV's.

I just got a massive payout for my leave and though I should upgrade my TV. I don't want to pay more then $3k and with TV prices having dropped considerably in the last month I though why the hell not.

Any suggestions or recommendation.

FYI I mainly watch movies on the TV both 3D and Bluray and I do play games from my PC as well so the 4K content does appeal to me for future proofing as well.

Looking forward to peoples responses.

Cheers

Hard to say - smart TV is all well and good but you can get HDMI dongles and devices on the cheap that do the same thing.

Hisense - sounds cheapo to me.

4K - really, it's newish and there's not even a playback standard yet, NFI if the BluRay spec will be upgraded to cater for it.

I get the nasty feeling that early adopters might get burnt in that some standard will change and leave people out in the cold.

• Like 1

I currently have a Samsung Smart TV and I don't use ANY of the smart tv functions at all. I manly use the TV as a screen for my HTPC or for Blurays.

I like the look of the new Curved Samsung's but I have been reading that motion blur is an issue with them and ghosting when watching 3D content.

Does anyone know if this is very noticeable or does anyone own one of these TV's that can give me some input?

My old Samsung series 4 plasma is on it's last legs so I have been shopping around of late. I also have a Panasonic 100 Hz 42 inch in the house, which has been a brilliant TV.

4K is atm a waste of time, as Rybags said there are no standards set, nor is there the content. Also as the TV upscale, anything less than 1080 looks bad. Realistically in Australia unless you are a 4k content creator, there isn't a good reason to go 4K and with our abysmal broadband we can't have 4k streaming (if it even existed here). For Australia 1080p is the way to go.

The problem with the curved tv's is that if you are not in the optimal seating poistion then the image at the side you are closest to gets trunkated. I had a good look at these while in Singapore and it is a noticible issue. These TV's would need to be 100 inch + to work correctly. Then there is the 4k issue.

Other brands to look at Panasonic (IPS panels), Sony & LG (IPS panels). I would also recommend have a look at the TV's in a shop other than JB as you will get more help there, eg taking in a blu ray so you have a visual standard to compare with.

• Like 1