Sign in to follow this  
Windex

Yet Another Gaming Build... Suggestions On What I Can Reuse

Hi guys been awhile since I have frequented this place :)

Its time for a update to my gaming PC(I've managed to hang onto this one for a looooooong time), my current Q6600 rig is showing its age, lucky it got a GC update a few years ago or I wouldnt have been able to play anything for the past few years. Been reading the stickies and pulling together a list but a little confused on the PS requirements, seems that the recommended power supply thread has gone a little stale. All of the below is based very much on the gamer build in the sticky, I will probably play around with some OCing(I always seem to) so a little headroom with the power supply would be good.

Samsung 840BW EVO MZ-7TE250BW
GSkill Ripjaw-Z 8GB Kit (4Gx2) DDR3-2400
Sapphire R9290-4GTX (11227-00-40G) 4G DDR5 R9 290 Tri-X OC PCI-E VGA Card
Asus Z97-A
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz 6MB

I'll salvage a few things from my current rig(mechanic drives, DVD, and a small SSD) Its got a Antec Eathwatt 500 Watt which I dont think will be up to the task, but I have no idea. Any thoughts?

My system is similar in sig and I ran some results while overclocked on benchmarks and bf4... I saw up to nearly 550w peak... Your 500w should be fine but depending on your overclocked, fans, and drives it will be close. 600w or a bit higher so your not riding the Watt line I'd suggest.

So it sounds like it might be a bit borderline, I might just give it a shot though :) See if I get there but it will be the first thing to upgrade if I have stability issues.

Remember that 550W peak measured from the wall is not the same as the power drawn from the components. When you factor in the efficiency of the PSU (let's assume 90% efficient), we get an actual draw of 495W. Your 500W should be okay.

• Like 1

your old psu probably isnt good enough

if its this one http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-EarthWatts-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/526/6

although well built it only has a 17a 12v rail for the gpu and drives

modern 550w psu have 30a

there is lots of models of the earth watt 500 though and some of them are lower quality than that one which is made by seasonic

the other problem is that psu only has two 6 pin connectors most new gpu need a 8 pin so we really need to know exactly what model your psu is

if you want to drop the gpu down look at 280 3g $249 although this still needs a 8 pin pci-e

it has recently been discovered that there may be a severe performance bug with the samsung 840 evo

http://www.overclock.net/t/1507897/samsung-840-evo-read-speed-drops-on-old-written-data-in-the-drive

its unclear at this stage if its just a samsung evo thing if so it may be as simple as a firmware update or if other budget drivers suffer a similar problem

Edited by Dasa

Thanks Dasa!

That is the exact model I have :) Checked the side panel and it matches up (only 17A for the 12v rail), looks like I am up for a new PSU then, was looking at the GTX 770(about $100 less than the 290) but will look at how it stacks up to the 280 3G. Thanks for the help!

if you stick with your current psu sapphire 285 $320 may be the best you can do till the new cards come out from nvidia later this month due to the two 6 pin pci-e leads without resorting to adapters

but its only $85 for a fsp raider 550 and your current psu will be a fair way outside of its original warranty by now im guessing so replacing it may not be such a bad idea