Sign in to follow this  
Nich...

Corrosion On The Power/dock Port, Iphone 4/3Gs

I have a replacement phone now, but trying to get my previous two iphones working for the purposes of backups/tradeins/family upgrades etc.

I am 95% sure that the only issue is the corrosion on the 4 and 3GS. I'm just trying to work out the best way to clean/polish them to see if they'll start accepting charge again.

Sitting in the case, it looks like it's a cramped fit to try and get a qtip or something dipped in IPA in there. I bought a bunch of phone tools to pull the cases apart so that, if I can't get them working, I can look at trying to replace the charger/dock plug. The issue there is the screw holding the battery into the 4 isn't coming out and I'm worried repeated attempts to try will just wear it bare. From what I can work out, without removing that screw I can't remove the surrounding bits from the bottom of the phone to then remove the dock/port assembly.

Can't be 100% about residual charge - certainly the batteries are flat enough to not even show the Apple boot logo - but is something like electrical/contact cleaner sprayed into the port, a scrub with a toothbrush, and then spraying it clean with a compressor likely to do any damage, even if it doesn't work to clean it up?

The only damage likely to come out of all that is moisture from the compressor which could lead to corrosion which you already have so... No not really.

Also I have found that when devices are really, really flat that an kind of USB device, even one that plugs into a wall wart will not do the trick, you need a genuine 240v charger to kick start it. The old mans gen 1 ipod (still going!), my Galaxy 3 tab and a Galaxy Ace belonging to a friend all have charge issues with USB adapted wall warts.