Mac Dude

Duplicating A Ps3

So I've found the backup/restore utility and the data transfer utility, however from what I've read I'm a little unsure which one to use to duplicate a ps3.

I basically want to take all the users/data from an old ps3 and duplicate it on a slimline ps3 without removing or deleting anything on the old one. I particularly want to make sure the users, settings, psn account details etc come across.

Anyone played with these utilities?

Honestly, no; but it would make sense to just try.

Run the backup to a USB HDD, turn on the slim, restore it, and see if it worked.

If not, try the other one.

Keep me informed, I just scored a $20 PS3 slim, so I'd like to know too

Yep, I figured trying the backup and restore would probably be the way to go, but then I saw the data transfer utility. The problem with that utility is the initial disclaimer says 'transfer(copy or move) which had me thinking that there may be an option to leave the original PS3 untouched. But further along it talks about deleting user data so I wasn't sure.

I'll give it a whirl today and report back.

I'd imagine the Transfer is a licence thing...... Where as a backup and restore is a user thing.

Transfer all your games to a new PS3? Lets them know its not pirating in whatever way makes them happy.

Backup? Sounds like user data and personal content.

I think the transfer utility appeared with the slimline units to allow people to move from there older PS3s.

What is backed up with the Back Up utility will only restore back to the same PS3; It's for if you want to upgrade the HDD.

Transfer takes everything, including licences for PSN bought media, and transfers it to a newer model; It's intended for people who've bought a PS3 of a newer model then their current one - The old one will be wiped clean.

As far as mirroring the contents so the new one has the same stuff as the old, without having to re-downloading and PSN cloud saves, isn't possible.

As far as mirroring the contents so the new one has the same stuff as the old, without having to re-downloading and PSN cloud saves, isn't possible.

So I found :)

Ended up doing the backup/restore then manually entering the psn info...