scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

Pretty cool - they're trying to get it all ready before the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11.  I reckon with a modern 14 nm process you'd probably fit every bit of logic, program and storage of all the Apollo computers plus the mission control ones into a square mm of silicon with room to spare.  Second part of this series is also available.

tbh here, even though I'm a sucker for the books, I've not watched the Jack Reacher movie . The thought of the wee Tom Criuse attempting to fill the mighty Reacher's shoes was more than my stomach could tolerate. So I'm bloody
pleased to read that Cruise is not to continue in the role. Really bloody pleased ;) ... and, unless the moovie people spend time here in the Green Room, I am not one of the "haters" responsible for Cruise's departure from the Franchise

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-19/tom-cruise-dropped-from-jack-reacher-says-lee-child/10509500

" Tom Cruise dropped from Jack Reacher franchise after fan backlash, author Lee Child says ..."

yeah, a lot of people seem to shit on that movie.  not sure why.  its actually pretty decent — better than the bulk of big budget action hero movies made in the last decade.

i was ignorant to the source material, though.  as defined by the movie at least, the deftness of the character's heroics are a stretch for sure, but its all presented well enough to not be a deal breaker for me.

but i can appreciate how ill-fitting Tom is.  anything approaching real life 'beat up everyone in the room' bad-assery demands height and mass.  for example, Shaquille O'neal (damn, ive never had to spell that, what a dumb name!), with or without training, could actually beat up most guys in most rooms :)  unfortunately, theres not many people who look the part, and can act.  case in point - that lump, Hemsworth, has the charisma and acting ability of a petrified sea sponge.

A tricky one to be sure ... just a pity Selleck is prolly tooo old to play the part convincingly ( age wise ) . As For Chris Hemsworth not being able to act : I say you insult the sea sponge a tad there. He does or did have some charisma in the early days. I quite liked him playing opposite
who ever it was in the first Thor movie. But no, he could not do Jack either. The part requires somebody like John Wayne without the swagger or accent , lol.  But I love how  Mr Childs says cos of fan based hate Cruise won't be Jack any more ... I mean come on ... for a series, which
is what they want to do with Reacher now, they couldn't afford Cruise, and it's likely it would be beneath Cruise to be in a tele serial ... just as well for us.

56 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

Shaquille O'neal [...]  unfortunately, theres not many people who look the part, and can act.

Idris Elba?

Idres definitely has the acting chops.  i knew him from Luther, so it was weird seeing him playing an american when i finally saw The Wire.

but as for the look, and not so much the acting 🙂i was thinking a young Dolph Lundgren. 

...and weirdly enough, as He-Man, he was 6'5 250lbs = exactly the same as Jack Reacher in the novels.

HsDCkIq.jpg

Edited by @~thehung

Idirs Elba and the show Luther both gave me the pips ... does the guy ever not have the serious concerned look happening. I reckon he still stands in front of the mirror to get that one going. He's a pretentious git imo ... I'd rather have Nic Cage play Reacher than him !

christ but I'm glad you two do not choose the next Reacher  < phew >

Edited by eveln

Are there not any 30 to 40 year old actors close to 7ft tall with a fit slightly beaten exterior out there ?

It's like today's male actors are mostly weedy types, I mean look at the stature of the guy playing Freddie M ... he's just too small in stature ffs. What is wrong, are the men not eating their meat and spinach anymore or sumfink ... too much soy mbe ???

well....Dwayne Johnson? 46, and very close to Jack Reacher size. 

here he is standing next to a twat, who is very close to Tom Cruise size.

2B2E7B2500000578-0-image-a-13_1438960978

Hahhaha ^^ size is good fitness is likely good, but ... he's got more a goofy, smiley face rather than a seen and had some intense experiences sort of face yeah ?

Anyway due to dollars ( I reckon ), Childs is wanting to put un unknown in the lead role. That says to me, he's already figured that there's none suitable amongst the known bods to play the part and, that the makers of the production can afford on an ongoing basis

Quantum computer at home? Not happening given current tech ... the CPU consumes no power but cooling the damn thing is another matter.

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Lord Of The Rings - The fellowship Of The Ring.

It's easy to see the rest on Stan, but not the first one, and until Monday we didn't have our hands on a copy ... sometimes a fossick in your local Life-Line shop is worth it 🙂 cost us two bucks to sit and enjoy it Monday night. Hadn't seen it since one of my last forays to a cinema,
and that was years ago. - no scratches or nufink on it either !

• Like 1

So what else to do on a stinking hot night ? Sit and watch the extended version of LOTR- The Two Towers. Thanks to Stan this time. The comfort of home viewing : to be able to take a loo break at one's leisure  ...  important

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

The story just seems cheap and cheesy but the SFX and production looks A-grade.

Top shelf rubbish. There are times when brain-in-a-bucket movies are just the thing.

21 hours ago, Cybes said:

top shelf rubbish. There are times when brain-in-a-bucket movies are just the thing. 

Venom. Critics basically panned it but hey I found it moderately entertaining.

1 hour ago, aliali said:

Venom. Critics basically panned it but hey I found it moderately entertaining.

Guyver: Dark Hero

Quite honestly the worst (and simultaneously fun) movies I've ever seen.  It's on a par with Power Rangers for effects and costuming, with a story somewhere between utter drivel and pulp SciFi.  But, if you're in the mod to get altered and throw popcorn at the screen...

@Cybes, that was genuinely terrifying lol

every now and then i check in on the Brexit debacle.  every time i do i become more confused as to WTF is going on.  wouldnt want to be in the UK right now.  i feel like its getting so bad, even the comedy value is running dry.

Edited by @~thehung
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

I don't understand the minutia of the agreement either ... but I thought the people did vote, cos that's how the Brexit came to be in play ... confused here as to the drawing out of it all . Is that why the people forgot they had a vote already, cos it's all taking soooo long ?