scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

14 hours ago, eveln said:

I don't understand the minutia of the agreement either ... but I thought the people did vote

Well thing is a lot of people seem to be whinging about May's negotiated Brexit claiming it is not the Brexit they voted for. This is complete bullshit of course they just voted to leave, not how they leave, the referendum question was very simple

2016_EU_Referendum_Ballot_Paper.jpg

Of course the morons thought it was as a simple as saying no to the EU and it would be done. Now of course if the UK wants to leave the EU there is all the border, trade and god knows what else stuff to renegotiate between the EU and the UK and a lot of people seem to think the UK is getting a raw deal when it basically has no bargaining power.

• Like 1

A comprehensive plan should have been available before a vote was taken so people could make a proper choice. Naturally, this is difficult without first going through a negotiation process, but at least an outline of how you see the process happening and what will be in place after it happens. I think the only thing to do now that May has says that this is the only deal on the table is to say well this is the plan we have, lets have a second referendum to see if people want to go ahead with it or remain. And if the people want this one more than remain then do it and if the prefer remain to this then remain and don't touch the matter until there is another deal with a lot of support behind it.

• Like 1

Even if they don't like some sections of the Gov. negotiations, I doubt there is a plan that will suit all. Fact is, going forth with the Brexit won't make the sky fall, so I reckon they should just get on with it and prove that fact (" sky won't fall " fact ).

Calling them morons for wanting something to happen is a bit harsh ?  ... I mean it's only made hard by the EU not wanting to be broken up, and that doesn't necessarily mean the folks in the UK are morons ?

... just sayin'

We didn't vote for a deal.

Our Political Parties are just different sides of the same coin. Both are just mere puppets to Big Corp in which they themselves have vested interests. Leave won the Referendum because Remainer MP's  never imagined for one moment Leave would win.

https://brexitcentral.com/plea-pm-leave-supporting-businessperson-stop-scare-stories-embrace-sovereign-brexit/

This young lady gave a speech that most adult political speech writers would kill to have written.  She has a bit future ahead of her if she wants it.

On 12/17/2018 at 3:53 PM, eveln said:

I mean it's only made hard by the EU not wanting to be broken up

Yes some of that but also just can't cut everything off and still hope to trade with the EU or it's member countries as if nothing has happened. Trade deals, border and passport recognition and a million other details all need to be ironed out, unless the UK is not going to trade with the EU at all and is going to block all border movement in both directions.

So it's not simply saying we are leaving bye, much as some would like to think it is that simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aliali said:
On 17/12/2018 at 2:53 PM, eveln said:

I mean it's only made hard by the EU not wanting to be broken up

Yes some of that but also just can't cut everything off and still hope to trade with the EU or it's member countries as if nothing has happened. Trade deals, border and passport recognition and a million other details all need to be ironed out, unless the UK is not going to trade with the EU at all and is going to block all border movement in both directions.

So it's not simply saying we are leaving bye, much as some would like to think it is that simple. 

Well it sort of seems like the EU is concerned that the UK will survive with no longer being under the umbrella of the EU . And that's just crazy cos lots of countries today survive without the EU's umbrella. The EU would do better to make it happen already so's they (EU ) can focus more fully
in shoring up the EU countries that have been suffering their own crisis while all this unnecessary Brexit paranoia has taken pride of place.

Perhaps children might have thought it was as simple as, "saying we are leaving bye, " ... they do have the maybe naive advantage of thinking in black and white ... but no, most adults made their choice on info (good or bad ) thrown at them by their peers, lecturers, media and family I'd say.

The only reason it's "not that simple" is because  people with vested interests are making it "not that simple" !

https://brexitcentral.com/parliament-cannot-simply-block-no-deal-claiming-default-option/?fbclid=IwAR19yiZQgnkSCv_rC9CtNvEl0fehNxWLiM2sJrxLfS5SwBhwcQLKHDvoggU

Edited by Outcast_Aussie

Caught a bit of Caddyshack earlier - it stands up well still for a movie almost 40 years old, critics rate it as one of the best sport comedies.

Mythbusters Jr.  First episode, duct tape tyres and parachute.  Several 10-15 YOs are now the assistant mythbuster/builders to Adam Savage, and amazingly not annoying (yet).  I think I only ever bothered with 1 ep of the adult run reboot due to it being a bunch of clone wannabees but this one seems a bit better.

Edited by Rybags

Bent iPads are normal says Apple ... you're holding it wrong repeated again

Edited by Jeruselem

Me taking out one of our Dog Trucks belching out condensation. Probably hadn't been out of the yard since last friday !

Soon warms up though !!

12 hours ago, Outcast_Aussie said:

Me taking out one of our Dog Trucks belching out condensation. Probably hadn't been out of the yard since last friday !

Is that from water pooling in the exhaust somewhere?

The sound effects make it sort of cute and funny.  Not so keen on the turds everywhere though...

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, aliali said:

Is that from water pooling in the exhaust somewhere?

Basically... Yup !

You can see Jeremy in one of our blue trucks behind me (we're both going the same place) but his truck is considerably newer (and more powerful)

certainly my favourite band in the history of forever

Edited by scruffy1

Strictly speaking I'm going to watch as opposed to watching now .

Stan's got a pretty decent selection of 007 films on the go. And as our end of year weekend looks wet and blustery, I figure it to be goooood for a bit of Sean  or Daniel  for a few hours at least

Thanks for that scruffy1 Steely Dan were there for me during some of the colder moments of Vic. I had thought I was alone in my disgusted thoughts ( young teenager that I was )

Edited by eveln

how could anyone not like a band named after a steam powered strap on dildo ?

quite apart from that claim to fame, they are the most slick song writing team ever

with the singular exception of "black friday" (which annoys me for no clear reason except perhaps their mispronunciation of muzz-well -brook and the australian theme which seems not quite on the mark compared to almost every other song), there isn't a song in their repertoire that isn't gold

becker's lyrics are immensely satisfying, and the counterpoint of fagan's musicality compliments that talent to devastating effect

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

becker's lyrics are immensely satisfying, and the counterpoint of fagan's musicality compliments that talent to devastating effect

upbeat cynicism. love it. not 'slitting your wrists' stuff like Leonard Cohen. I don't have a fav. band, but Steely suited me. - mostly enjoying my teens whilst having my first taste of maryjane and the fun and angst of then

the ensemble of artists they used were people i loved from any number of prior exposures, often via jazz connections

technically their music is really beautiful and the production reflects their perfectionism, and the lyrics would stand up quite independently as poetry

the whole package just does it in a way that very few bands have consistently managed over all their career - lots of bands have one or two albums that are magic, and then it's too much more of the same, or they lose their spark somehow

but from "do it again" till "everything must go" , there's not one dud album, and very few less than excellent songs

On 29/12/2018 at 6:48 PM, scruffy1 said:

the whole package just does it in a way that very few bands have consistently managed over all their career -

Steely Dan is a duo that recognised that music needed different characters to produce individual sound from the same instruments. Which is why their music was rarely stale. I used to get caught in the music even when I didn't think I was in the mood for them ?

II'll see ya wee bagpipes, and raise you a Jimmy!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rybags said:

I don't know what's "dumber" - the fact that this dumb bitch has more than once driven around with her 4 YO kid on the roof rack at up to 100 km/h, or the fact that the kid is still wearing nappies.

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/05/21/35/perth-child-on-roof-racks-harrisdale-video-mum-unaware

the nappy is probably appropriate for the likelihood of incontinence at higher speed