Jump to content
scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

Recommended Posts

The kid on the roof racks is insane ?

 

I watched the new Spiderman movie last night. It's only the second Marvel creation I've seen, the other being Guardians of the Galaxy 3. It's not really something I'd normally be interested in, but it was good for what it was.

Yesterday I also watched Dumplin' on Netflix. Also a genre I generally take no interest in, but it was better than Spiderman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the nappy still being used might be due to falling off and landing on his head a few too many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we watched bandersnatch on netflix

 

disturbing, as one would expect from "dark mirror", and thought provoking but not decidedly "entertainment"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not often I like female standups*, but this one got an out-loud laugh from me - probably not cool at this time of morning.

(*Um.  I know that seems sexist, and maybe it is.  It's not because they're women - it's because they aren't that funny.  Many male comics also suck, but since there are so many more male comics in total, finding the funny ones is much easier.  Anyway...)

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Watch out for Signs from God (FB required) .. literally

 

Edited by Jeruselem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Watch out for Signs from God (FB required) .. literally

Jeez that would put a stain in your pants I reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aliali said:

Jeez that would put a stain in your pants I reckon.

She was lucky it didn't disect her ... that close!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

So, WTF?

I don't have a lot of time so I try to vet my movie watching pretty carefully - based on Wikipedia "Reception" info, Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB scores, IMDB user reviews, critic reviews, etc

It's night impossible to find a generally good user reception for any movie.

So I took a punt on The Free State of Jones which polled as poor to average, and it was fucken fantastic.

What gives?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kothos said:

 

So, WTF?

I don't have a lot of time so I try to vet my movie watching pretty carefully - based on Wikipedia "Reception" info, Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB scores, IMDB user reviews, critic reviews, etc

It's night impossible to find a generally good user reception for any movie.

So I took a punt on The Free State of Jones which polled as poor to average, and it was fucken fantastic.

What gives?

Unless you find reviewers with close to the same taste as you then you might as well give up on reviews

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Unless you find reviewers with close to the same taste as you then you might as well give up on reviews

 

Aha, fair point. That means most of my research is useless. But you do remind me that when I've got info about movies here, from a science forum I check, and from my FB friends, it tends to be much more accurate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Kothos said:

when I've got info about movies here, from a science forum I check, and from my FB friends, it tends to be much more accurate.

Note that the groups mentioned all have significant similarity to you - otherwise you wouldn't be hangin' with them. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cybes said:

Note that the groups mentioned all have significant similarity to you - otherwise you wouldn't be hangin' with them. ?

 

Indeed - but when it's 1am and I can't sleep and decided to watch a movie, I don't wanna be bugging any of you guys.  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been watching this youtube channel, love the stuff they make

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just occasionally, the 'weird part'* of YouTube spits out something fantastic:

(*You know the weird part: when you've been hitting random links for a while watching 30 seconds of that piece of tinfoil hat or crap and moving on, and suddenly you're in Narnia - Italian softcore porn and how to milk a giraffe are both in the sidebar at the same time.)

 

I would totally buy tickets to this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's a bit "andrew lloyd webber" for my tastes, but nicely done for the genre i guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cybes said:

Just a few facts: [video]

all fairly reasonable and accurate.  i do wonder who this kind of thing actually reaches though.  the effort is commendable.

note to stephen: best to avoid tracking voice-overs while on the shitter with your iphone

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like he recorded it in a storm water tunnel... part of the reason I turned away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rybags said:

It sounds like he recorded it in a storm water tunnel... part of the reason I turned away.

Shitty sound seems to me like a pretty shallow reason to not watch something informative.  I mean, fair enough if you can't actually hear or understand what's being said (had a few like that myself), but that..?

I have no issue with canning a 'comedy' bit after 3 seconds if the audio is annoying, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on listening to the rest of it, but first ... I don't buy Bush's popularity grew cos of Twin Towers and the horrors it manifested. I don't buy that Americans fell in line with him ... he had no line to tag onto at all, ever imo.

... Americans and other countries at the time of TTs pulled together in order to help those personally and closely affected by the horror. Any one who happened to be POTUS at that time would've had the countries backing.

It's the same here as when the bushfires run rampant ... the people band together regardless of the PM of the day.

edit 2 :

Is Stephen saying the the TTs was a contrived terror act to make the US people have the warm and fuzzies for Bush ?

Stephen mostly focuses on the immigration aspect with both the USA and UK's Brexit ... for me, I have to wonder what will become of the countries that all these hundreds of thousands of immigrants run from ?

I remember when May first got the top job ... she only just managed it cos she said she would not hinder the Brexit ... seems to me that's all she's been doing ... but then I don't live there so who cares what I think

 


 

Edited by eveln
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, eveln said:

Is Stephen saying the the TTs was a contrived terror act to make the US people have the warm and fuzzies for Bush ?

I certainly didn't take it that way.  As you noted, people fall in behind whichever leader they have at times of emergency.  Bush just saw that for what it was and took full advantage of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cybes said:
50 minutes ago, eveln said:

Is Stephen saying the the TTs was a contrived terror act to make the US people have the warm and fuzzies for Bush ?

I certainly didn't take it that way.  As you noted, people fall in behind whichever leader they have at times of emergency.  Bush just saw that for what it was and took full advantage of it.

Stephen's opening remarks were that the Terror threat of the TTs raised Bush's popularity , like the Terror was contrived ... isn't that sort of like saying Trump's terror / immigration twitter chats has a similar effect for his popularity too ... only Trump's is
more contrived cos nobody including all the musicians / artists in the UK and USA don't like him or Brexit.

If Stephen is trying to show misinformation re: Trump and Brexit then using Bush in that way was imo, inept, and not of the usual high standard of argument I know Stephen capable of ... just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, eveln said:

Stephen's opening remarks were that the Terror threat of the TTs raised Bush's popularity , like the Terror was contrived

"I fell of a boat, so I got wet".  Getting wet was a consequence, not a goal.  "Bush was POTUS when the towers got hit, and people got all patriotic in response, thus raising Bush's popularity" similarly does not imply contrivance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cybes said:
32 minutes ago, eveln said:

Stephen's opening remarks were that the Terror threat of the TTs raised Bush's popularity , like the Terror was contrived

"I fell of a boat, so I got wet".  Getting wet was a consequence, not a goal.  "Bush was POTUS when the towers got hit, and people got all patriotic in response, thus raising Bush's popularity" similarly does not imply contrivance. 

I'm not questioning your logic.

I am saying, that by using the terror of the TTs and Bush's or rather the POTUS of the moment as an example in that graph was faulty logic on Stephen's part ... because it seems to me those against Trump and Brexit feel that all the stuff re:
immigration etc. is contrived in order to persuade the US and UK to follow Trump and Brexit , and that the worries ( terror) created are just that created / fabricated / not real ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How this ended up in my suggested videos, NFI.  I'd not been searching YT or any Google service on this or related subjects.
But as it happened, for the first time in probably a few weeks I had one of these excruciating experiences early this morning and am still feeling it.

The actual relevant stuff starts around 2 minutes.  The problem I have with this method is that my instincts say it'll make the pain worse but I guess I'll try it once next time the calf cramp strikes.

And... WTH with long pants in such a video.  FFS, wear shorts to make illustrating the method that little bit more clear.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×