scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

20 minutes ago, eveln said:

Ithose against Trump and Brexit feel that all the stuff re:
immigration etc. is contrived in order to persuade the US and UK to follow Trump and Brexit , and that the worries ( terror) created are just that created / fabricated / not real ...

I don't know about Europe, but the US stuff *is* fabricated.

23 minutes ago, Rybags said:

The problem I have with this method is that my instincts say it'll make the pain worse but I guess I'll try it once next time the calf cramp strikes.

Works.  I came across that a few months ago.  Tricky to apply the technique to neck cramps.

The cramp video is interesting. I wouldn't say it's the opposite of what you typically do in bed though apart from the resistance from the other foot. 

4 hours ago, fliptopia said:

The cramp video is interesting. I wouldn't say it's the opposite of what you typically do in bed though apart from the resistance from the other foot. 

The resistance is the key, though. By putting actual load on the opposing muscle you tell the muscular system to relax the knotting one.

2 hours ago, Cybes said:

The resistance is the key, though. By putting actual load on the opposing muscle you tell the muscular system to relax the knotting one.

I'm not saying it's not different. Just that it's not the opposite of what you would  normally do. It's the same with an extra step. 

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I'm not saying it's not different. Just that it's not the opposite of what you would  normally do. It's the same with an extra step. 

That's my point - it actually is the opposite: when you stretch the muscle out against the cramp, you're putting that muscle under tension; whereas the resistance method tells the *opposing* muscle to tighten up and the cramping one to relax.

Just watched a one-season series called Maniac

Was pretty excellent. 

• Thanks 1

With 9's tennis meaning no early news, I tuned into the Ten service - probably the first time I've actually watched the channel at all in some months.

Then I remember why I tend to avoid it like the plague... they still employ this twat.  And WTF?  Receeding hairline, so what to do but get yourself looking like one of those trolls that you shove a pencil up it's arse:

Tim%20Bailey%20(FILEminimizer).jpg

• Haha 1

he looks disturbingly like a medicated peter dutton with a merkin on his pate

Edited by scruffy1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

he looks disturbingly like a medicated peter dutton with a merkin on his pate

Well spotted, particularly given that Dutton would need electrodes attached to his face to pull that expression...

?

Don't watch enough TV to even know who that is.

Being I'm looking after mother, who is a devout Royalist, we have been watching the first season of "The Crown" on DVD.

I'm somewhat surprised how interesting and engrossing it is but I guess I did grow up with most of the early Royal dramas, Margaret especially, all over the papers. Interesting to see an interpretation of what was going on behind the walls of Buck House - suspect it is fairly accurate.

It's very well cast, the only complaint would be that the lighting is rather dark - atmospheric intent I suppose.

The portrayal of car-wreck Philip in his younger years is interesting and seems well in character, very well acted.

Cheers

I scrubbed through it and it looks pretty good so DL'd for later...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

I scrubbed through it and it looks pretty good so DL'd for later

Well worth the 12 minutes.

I admit to wondering through the whole thing "Why the blazes would you invest so much care and effort in brass?  It'll lose it's shine in a few months, and it'll make your finger green!"

Spoiler

He did it on a dare (or a challenge), basically.

... Ok then.

After hearing Bill Maher cheering America for backing Venezuela's newest 'self-appointed' saviour, and reflecting that that was pretty f'ing rich considering he's amongst the most vocal about Russia attempting to meddle in the US elections, I happened across this:

(Fair warning: this guy is a pronounced leftie.  Get over it.  Don't argue against the man, instead listen to what he has to say, and argue those points if you feel the need. There are plenty of people I dislike who still have valid points.)

first of the trilogy that ended with the good, the bad and the ugly

you've got a few more movies to enjoy till you aren't stranded (if you need more,  you can cross that bridge when you come to it)

Long time since I watched the first 2 and probably only once this century for GB&U.  Great movie.

Got the tennis on but finding it hard to care.  Was away @ the coast since Wednesday and have a bit of backlog of regular viewing that I'd much rather see.
Got timeshift on and am about 80 minutes behind - I think I'll just skip through until almost current then put my preferred stuff on, come back later and get the score update again.

Had about ten min. ago told Walt we should watch TGTB&TU . lol  ... it's up there as one my all time favourites of Clint's

What's the second one. My fav. is also The Good The Bad and The Ugly ... I just can't recall the second

Edited by eveln

On 1/18/2019 at 4:58 PM, Kimmo said:

Just watched a one-season series called Maniac

Was pretty excellent. 

freshly binged, thank you.  excellent indeed, in so many ways.  its so rare to see something truly original or at least original enough to sit like a blip above the countless stale incarnations of the same 7 stories.

anything else?

• Like 1

For a few Dollars more is the 2nd in the trilogy.

After watching the three, even though not related you'd obviously have to follow it up with Unforgiven.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

For a few Dollars more is the 2nd in the trilogy.

After watching the three, even though not related you'd obviously have to follow it up with Unforgiven.

Ahh righto. It's been years since I've watched most of his films that it's almost like viewing them for the first time 😉  ... all except Unforgiven, that movie is like still brand new

3 hours ago, @~thehung said:

anything else?

Just watched First Reformed tonight, very much in the mould of Taxi Driver, by the same writer/director. Excellent. 

As for series, here's a real gem for you - Detectorists. Low-key and droll, the two main characters are a couple of right nerds, and it just keeps putting pieces in place for three seasons until you realise you're witness to a beautifully warm and human masterpiece. Mackenzie Crook (Gareth from The Office) wrote and directed it, and along with his performance as Andy, will blow your mind with his talent. It's just perfect. 

i will definitely check out Detectorists, but i will have you know, First Reformed sucked!  haha

Ethan was good/great as always, and i was into the whole listless crisis of faith trajectory and vibe, but shit went nowhere.   left me feeling that i needed to be a believer, if not catholic, to register missing subtext — but that obviously wasnt the case for you.

seen Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?

what about the The Expanse

• Thanks 1

I felt let down by the ending at first, but then realised the manoeuvre that had been pulled; persuading Christians to give a shit about the planet, drawing them in to sympathise with the cause, and then that bait and switch. Consider the effect on folks, and you might agree it's an important film... 

13 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

Holy shit, somehow I missed that there was both a movie and a series about Dirk Gently! Cheers 😀

Didn't know about The Expanse either. Yet another series to binge... currently making my way through Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, with Bojack Horseman and Patrick Melrose lined up. 

the detectorists is literally gold (watched it early last year)

thoroughly enjoyed dirk gently

the expanse was good, but more than a little silly despite pretensions of drama - the lead guy seemed to be channelling a young tom waits; effects were good though

just started maniac - i enjoyed the first ep, but my co-watchers ms 24 and mr 16 were less entralled - ms 24 hates the lead male from another show's performance

emma stone is the bomb (i have a very soft spot for adelaide women); i was pleased to revisit "birdman" a few nights ago and can only re-recommend it to anyone that has yet to do the honours - stunning work by pretty much the entire cast

• Like 1