scruffy1

What Did You Watch Lately ?

Nice to see reverse-engineering and hardware projects going on aimed at preserving the old computers and consoles.
OK, so you can play pirated copies of games but it's a 25 year old console and the CD mechs are failing in big numbers.

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

Nice to see

That's fucken awesome. What a champ! 

Dr Abrasive reminds me a lot of Tuning Fork from Mighty Car Mods... 

So this is what he's been up to...

Got to say though, it might pay the bills for a while but a TV show would be much better.

Had a few of these Bathurst comparos pop up lately, they're pretty good.

• Like 3

I'm sure many/some of you have seen this gem already, but for those who haven't:

• Like 3

To give this context you'd probably need to see the recent Gillette ad first.  But anyway...

On 2/10/2019 at 11:45 PM, Rybags said:

To give this context you'd probably need to see the recent Gillette ad first.  But anyway...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS56v6vGjeHeFC1MWbGTw1

I have to watch this again

Forgot to watch this!

so many times during that speech I fully expected Pelosi to have to catch  her teeth. For a lady of wealth I would've thought her chops would be less of an issue ... go figure.

WTF.  He should give it up and just do Murray Walker impersonations!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Interesting title on that article: "Why it's most viewed" (paraphrased).  And then proceeds not to analyse the cause for the popularity at all.  Neat.

I would not have thought that including some observation that people are fascinated/astonished at just how fucked the modern system in the US has become would be that hard to include.  But I'm not a journalist, so what do I know? 😜

On 2/15/2019 at 9:57 AM, Cybes said:

But I'm not a journalist, so what do I know?

My guess is that any journalists whose work ends up online (which at this point is probably roughly 100%), are probably used to their carefully-crafted headlines being summarily deleted and replaced with clickbait by editors, if creating headlines is even in their job description in the first place.

And also, I'm interested in whether you can point to any large newspapers that can lay claim to greater journalistic integrity than The Guardian. 

12 hours ago, Kimmo said:

I'm interested in whether you can point to any large newspapers that can lay claim to greater journalistic integrity than The Guardian. 

Given my consumption of paper media is close to zero, no I can't.  My point was not about the institution but the article, which could have been from anywhere AFAIC.  As you noted, clickbait headlines seem to be the norm these days.  I blame Murdoch - his takeover of previously-good media and turning them into attractive trash has led everyone else to also become trashy in order to keep up.

And now, back to thread topic: Three Arrows!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cybes said:

Given my consumption of paper media is close to zero, no I can't.  My point was not about the institution but the article, which could have been from anywhere AFAIC.  As you noted, clickbait headlines seem to be the norm these days.  I blame Murdoch - his takeover of previously-good media and turning them into attractive trash has led everyone else to also become trashy in order to keep up.

And now, back to thread topic: Three Arrows!

I blame the decline of print media and the lack of pay for good journalism these days and all the people who click on click bait and proving to companies that that is the way to make money these days. Sensationalise everything. Write beat ups on everyone.

People with opinions strongly divided click on more stuff so make sure we feed that too. Damn the fact that it is destroying people's ability to have so much as a civil discussion about a difference of opinion with out one side saying "leftist Marxist commies" and the other chanting "alt right nazi oppressors" 

8 hours ago, Cybes said:

Three Arrows!

Nice one,thanks for the intro. A bit dry, though... How about

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kimmo said:

A bit dry, though... How about

Sorry, man - busted my cap about 10 mins after that last upload, and yours isn't even loading a title screen for me atm.  Should be good again in a couple of days.

12 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I blame the decline of print media and the lack of pay for good journalism these days and all the people who click on click bait and proving to companies that that is the way to make money these days. Sensationalise everything. Write beat ups on everyone.

People with opinions strongly divided click on more stuff so make sure we feed that too. Damn the fact that it is destroying people's ability to have so much as a civil discussion about a difference of opinion with out one side saying "leftist Marxist commies" and the other chanting "alt right nazi oppressors" 

relevant: this recent JRE podcast with independent journalist Tim Pool was excellent

also, highly recommend this one with democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang.

some worthwhile discussion of the feasibility of a UBI.  he has some radical ideas, but he's refreshingly not all pie-in-the-sky.